Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-25-2014, 14:58   #1
oneofthose

Do you use a primer sealer?

I'm considering using some for hunting loads. I recently assembled 50 rounds of .223 for coyote hunting this winter and found that the primers seated unusually easily. I've never sealed primers before, but this has me considering it.
Old 08-25-2014, 15:04   #2
F106 Fan

If you don't have the proper dimension on the primer pocket (used cases), I can't imagine a sealant improving the situation.

As I understand it, the sealant is dribbled around the seated primer. At one time I had thought about doing this and also sealing the bullet. I realized I couldn't actually get a seal around the bullet so I gave up on the entire program

From what I can tell, the sealant isn't a lot different than fingernail polish except it comes in a manly bottle.

I would use some other cases if the primer wasn't seating properly.

Richard
Old 08-25-2014, 15:12   #3
SJ 40

In a word No.
Back a few years ago a unfired black powder round ended up in my spent round soak jug for approximately three days.
I pulled the bullet,the powder was dry and so was the primer,never gave sealant another thought after that. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 15:15   #4
Colorado4Wheel

No. None of the ammo I have washed in my jeans pocket have failed to fire as well. So why bother.
Old 08-25-2014, 15:25   #5
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofthose View Post
I'm considering using some for hunting loads. I recently assembled 50 rounds of .223 for coyote hunting this winter and found that the primers seated unusually easily. I've never sealed primers before, but this has me considering it.
If you have loose primer pockets, your brass is done. It is possible that your primer/brass fit is a little off, there are very small diff in dims between brands, but in general, loose primer pockets spell over used brass.
Sealants are fine for long term storage, like 10yrs +, but under normal use, even getting your ammo wet, not needed. Certainly isn't going to fix worn out or badly prepped brass.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 08-25-2014 at 15:27..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 20:42   #6
naughtymoose

In over 30 years of reloading I have never used primer sealer. However in 1997 I lived in Grand Forks, North Dakota and my home was flooded. All of the ammo stored in tupperware type tubs was ruined after sitting under water for over ten days. Everything stored in GI Ammo cans was perfectly dry and fired over several months...

Moral of the story is store your ammo in GI ammo cans and forget the primer sealer.

Of course YMMV,

Good shooting and keep your powder dry.
naughtymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:30   #7
unclebob

I bought some primer sealer from Herter's 40 plus years ago but never used it.
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-26-2014, 11:09   #8
dkf

Primer sealer is not a primer retainer. If I am making some ammo that may get stored a long time there is nothing wrong with a little primer sealer.

If your primer pockets are loose it is most economical really just to scrap the brass, especially cheap .223/5.56 brass. Though a tiny film of Loctite press fit retainer would lock a loose primer in place it is not economical. It is expensive stuff.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:18   #9
smokey45

Everyone has heard about the cops who sprayed their revolvers down daily with WD 40 and were killed when their ammo wouldn't fire. I think everyone agrees that was bull****. As a test a few years ago, I soaked three reloaded cartridges in WD 40 and three in PB Blaster, (penetrating oil) for 24 hrs. I fired all cartridges successfully. I had considered sealer for my long term storage ammo, I don't bother anymore. I store ammo in vacuum sealed bags with a little desiccant just for peace of mind.
s45
Old 08-27-2014, 09:30   #10
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey45 View Post
Everyone has heard about the cops who sprayed their revolvers down daily with WD 40 and were killed when their ammo wouldn't fire. I think everyone agrees that was bull****. As a test a few years ago, I soaked three reloaded cartridges in WD 40 and three in PB Blaster, (penetrating oil) for 24 hrs. I fired all cartridges successfully. I had considered sealer for my long term storage ammo, I don't bother anymore. I store ammo in vacuum sealed bags with a little desiccant just for peace of mind.
s45
I took about 10 primers and put them in a baby food jar and sprayed them until covered with WD-40. Every day I would take one out and seat them in a case and fire them in a .38 pistol. On the third day the primer would not fire. I then took them out of the WD-40 and tried to fire them one each day. On like the fourth day they would fire again.
So after only 24 hours with a loaded case yes they will fire. But if they were soaking for a month or longer would they fire?
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-27-2014, 10:27   #11
oneofthose

Thanks for your replies. This is pretty much what I expected to hear, but was hoping to get a bit more use out of this batch. It's only twice fired and I just trimmed it......
Old 08-27-2014, 10:35   #12
Colorado4Wheel

Try Remington Primers if you got them. They were slightly over sized for me in the past.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:49   #13
oneofthose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Try Remington Primers if you got them. They were slightly over sized for me in the past.
Yes, I'm considering that for the rest of this batch (around 400). I hate to toss them right after spending all that time trimming. The easy-seaters were CCI in twice fired RORG brass. I have some Remington, federal gold match and I think some Winchester too.

This experience also has me considering the Dillon swage tool. Up to now I've been using a lyman hand tool or RCBS Case Prep machine to address crimped pockets.