Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:10   #1
DanaT
Pharaoh

I have finally come to my senses....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_cop

Contempt of cop is law enforcement jargon in the United States for behavior by citizens towards law enforcement officers that the officers perceive as disrespectful or insufficiently deferential to their authority. The phrase is associated with arbitrary arrest and detention and is often discussed in connection to police misconduct such as use of excessive force or even police brutality as a reaction to disrespectful behavior rather than for any legitimate law enforcement purpose.

Arrests for "contempt of cop" may stem from a type of "occupational arrogance" when a police officer thinks he or she should not be challenged or questioned. From such officers' perspective, "contempt of cop" may involve perceived or actual challenges to their authority, including a lack of deference (such as by asserting one's constitutional rights), disobeying instructions, or expressing interest in filing a complaint against the officer. Flight from the police is sometimes considered a variant of "contempt of cop". "Contempt of cop" situations may be exacerbated if other officers witness the allegedly contemptuous behavior.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...lice5page6.htm

"Criminologists and civil rights lawyers see similarities in many police beating incidents. The triggering offenses are typically minor, but the officer often perceives a challenge to authority and acts to regain control."

http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/20...authority.html

"After a jury sided Friday with a woman who had sued Washington police officers for arresting her after she publicly criticized them, attorney Jeffrey Skinner of Goodwin Procter said he hopes the verdict will prompt a full investigation into the extent of "contempt-of-cop" arrests in the city.

The jury found the city and two officers who arrested Huthnance liable for $97,500 in damages for false arrest, emotional distress and a slew of constitutional violations committed in the course of her arrest and imprisonment; a third officer was not found liable. In addition to charges stemming directly from the arrest, she also charged the city with failing to properly train officers and take steps to stop unlawful “contempt-of-cop” arrests."
Old 05-20-2011, 10:13   #2
DanaT
Pharaoh

Civil Liberties Issues
Old 05-20-2011, 10:17   #3
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
odd then that there is no change in your posting.

it is still the same anti authority, anti cop, rubbish based on your opinions rather than facts or reality.

Last edited by Dragoon44; 05-20-2011 at 10:21..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:36   #4
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
odd then that there is no change in your posting.

it is still the same anti authority, anti cop, rubbish based on your opinions rather than facts or reality.
Oh no. I am not anti-authority. I am anti cops who have attitudes that cops are above the citizens and seem to forget that they work for the people at the will of the people. The authority lies in the people. We don't report to police; police report to us.

I support police that do their job in a manner that is respectful of the citizens and perform their duties in a professional manner which in my mind includes knowing the laws they are enforcing.

-Dana

Last edited by DanaT; 05-20-2011 at 10:38..
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:46   #5
DanaT
Pharaoh

"No other depositories of powerhave ever yet been found, which did not end in converting to their own profit the earnings of those committed to their charge." Thomas Jefferson

"No government can continue good, but under the control of the people." --Thomas Jefferson

"If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress and Assemblies, Judges and Governors, shall all become wolves. It seems to be the law of our general nature, in spite of individual exceptions." --Thomas Jefferson

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" --Thomas Jefferson

"The will of the people... is the only legitimate foundation of any government." --Thomas Jefferson

I guess I can be called all sorts of names by LEO. Maybe my views are even "Un-American?"

-Dana
Old 05-20-2011, 10:51   #6
DanaT
Pharaoh

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the govered,...

No-where do I read... "that all men, except police officers and other government officials, are created equall"

-Dana
Old 05-20-2011, 11:29   #7
USAFE7
Retired USAF-SP

Interesting......are you by chance a member of the sovereign citizen movement?
Old 05-20-2011, 11:31   #8
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

rut row....
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:54   #9
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFE7 View Post
Good eye.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:02   #10
Grammy
Infidel

Quote:
Miss something? Sovereign citizens respect no authority appointed over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Oh no. I am not anti-authority. I am anti cops who have attitudes that cops are above the citizens and seem to forget that they work for the people at the will of the people. The authority lies in the people. We don't report to police; police report to us.

I support police that do their job in a manner that is respectful of the citizens and perform their duties in a professional manner which in my mind includes knowing the laws they are enforcing.

-Dana
Old 05-20-2011, 12:16   #11
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy View Post
Miss something? Sovereign citizens respect no authority appointed over them.
The pre-edited version was more telling.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:38   #12
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Never heard of it.

Is there a problem with how the Declaration of Independence is written that seems so offensive? Maybe the 4th of July should be cancelled because we no longer believe in the tenants of such an old document that doesn’t fit in modern time?

Or maybe its Thomas Jefferson that is offensive? Maybe it’s the fact that he was the third president that is offensive? Maybe it’s his participation in being one of the lead authors in the Declaration of Independence that is offensive? Maybe it’s just that two dollar bills and nickels are offensive.

-Dana
Old 05-20-2011, 12:40   #13
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky7 View Post
The pre-edited version was more telling.
The un-edited version was this. I then added to it.

"Oh no. I am not anti-authority. I am anti cops who have attitudes that cops are above the citizens and seem to forget that they work for the people at the will of the people. The authority lies in the people. We don't report to police; police report to us."

Also, explain that it was put into context of another comment...

-Dana
Old 05-20-2011, 13:23   #14
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_cop

Contempt of cop is law enforcement jargon in the United States for behavior by citizens towards law enforcement officers that the officers perceive as disrespectful or insufficiently deferential to their authority. The phrase is associated with arbitrary arrest and detention and is often discussed in connection to police misconduct such as use of excessive force or even police brutality as a reaction to disrespectful behavior rather than for any legitimate law enforcement purpose.
Well, that's a theory - the problem happens when you try to support it with facts.

Quote:
"After a jury sided Friday with a woman who had sued Washington police officers for arresting her after she publicly criticized them, attorney Jeffrey Skinner of Goodwin Procter said he hopes the verdict will prompt a full investigation into the extent of "contempt-of-cop" arrests in the city.

The jury found the city and two officers who arrested Huthnance liable for $97,500 in damages for false arrest, emotional distress and a slew of constitutional violations committed in the course of her arrest and imprisonment; a third officer was not found liable. In addition to charges stemming directly from the arrest, she also charged the city with failing to properly train officers and take steps to stop unlawful “contempt-of-cop” arrests."

Oops, what happened? An unjustified arrest made the guy about $100,000. Now think about it a minute - how often do you hear about this happening. Even if the unjustified arrest really happened like it played out in court, if this was a common event all out ghettos and college campuses would be full of rich people and all of our cities would have to disband their police departments from paying out the judgment.

Fact is, it is a rare event and when it happens the police do police their own and officers get fired, prosecuted, sued, etc.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 19:22   #15
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Fact is, it is a rare event and when it happens the police do police their own and officers get fired, prosecuted, sued, etc.
How many times is acceptable for a rare event to happen?

-Dana
Old 05-22-2011, 01:55   #16
S16N4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Police misconduct and brutality is hardly a rare event. It happens almost daily on a national scale. It also seems to be increasing in frequency and severity.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:06   #17
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Numbers, stats, sources?

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:31   #18
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
Quote:
Originally Posted by S16N4L View Post
Police misconduct and brutality is hardly a rare event. It happens almost daily on a national scale. It also seems to be increasing in frequency and severity.
While I agree that there are bad cops, I would argue that it is directly proportional to the makeup of the general population. The way we hear about stuff has changed dramatically compared to the mid-nineties. Think about it. In '95, if my Glock had an issue, I would go to the LGS, smith, or call Glock to get it fixed. A couple of buddies might hear my story. Now I can broadcast my experience to thousands across the world easily.

I think that much of our perceived doom is caused due to the ability of the Internet to communicate quickly to a large audience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wants a G41
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:55   #19
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:35   #20
VAPA-Rick

Good thread. Kinda surprised there aren't more threads in this forum. I wonder why that is?

Contempt of Cop is a real phenomenon. It's something I call the bouncer mentality. Give any person, cop or otherwise, a little bit of authority, and if they're the insecure type (as most people are), they will abuse it.

That's why we need to make sure we're hiring servants who are secure. It's an extraordinary job, and it requires extraordinary folks to do it.

We have a long way to go.
VAPA-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote