Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:20   #21
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Ayoob View Post
Nomination appreciated, but must decline. My decades as a sworn officer have all been part time, though the full time work was in related fields.

4949, Dragoon, ChiefWPD and more are the ones in the running for most seasoned, IMHO.
I'd go through a door with you anytime Mas,

I have met Mas personally, ( I took his LFI police instructors course back in 1988) He is an outstanding guy, while his LE career may have been part time he has what it takes, he is also one of the most down to earth guys I have ever met among well known personalities.

But Mas, greatest gift is his teaching ability, the man is a truly gifted teacher. I learned more in his class than I learned in most of the other firearms courses I have taken combined.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:31   #22
ChiefWPD

Quote:
Nomination appreciated, but must decline. My decades as a sworn officer have all been part time, though the full time work was in related fields.

4949, Dragoon, ChiefWPD and more are the ones in the running for most seasoned, IMHO.
Thanks Mas! It's been a while since we've last seen each other (+25 years? Whose counting....). It was at the NYPD range at Rodman's Neck. You wrote an article on your visit, which I have a copy of.

Hope all is going well with you. I retired in Sept 2010 after 41 years (again, not that I'm counting the years!).

Rich
Old 05-22-2011, 07:54   #23
Arvinator

Been a cop for little over 21 years. Currently Patrol, On my 4th dept. in this time frame. all but 10-11 months has been for a PD, and I have served in Patrol, DARE/PR, CID(Detectives).
I do not consider myself seasoned or any other title except maybe a little arrogant and sarcastic to a few who I felt needed a shock of reality.
I try to help my fellow cops, and the best call I went on was where I took four people out of a burning house, they all were unharmed. One of the worst was a 11 year old girl that her dad had been raping her nightly for 2 years while mom was at work.
I have passed up a few jobs, offended several co-workers and let a few bosses know they should be charged for prostitution. Oh well, I still sleep well at night.
I have told my peers, bosses, and street contacts that I may offend them, but I won't lie to them...
Arvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:56   #24
Mongosafari
El diablo verde

This September 11 will make 23 years under the belt.
In 2 years I'm eligible to retire --- in 9 years manditory retirement (57). Federal.

Also add 6 years active duty time to retirement equasion.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:33   #25
Sgt127

June of '84 as a Reserve. Full time December of '86. Same agency from the beginning. Kind of a rough city I chose. Tore up a few uniforms. Wouldn't have done anything different.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:03   #26
A6Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
I'd go through a door with you anytime Mas,

I have met Mas personally, ( I took his LFI police instructors course back in 1988) He is an outstanding guy, while his LE career may have been part time he has what it takes, he is also one of the most down to earth guys I have ever met among well known personalities.

But Mas, greatest gift is his teaching ability, the man is a truly gifted teacher. I learned more in his class than I learned in most of the other firearms courses I have taken combined.
I've shot w/Mas at a Tennessee IDPA match. He'll drill your lights out if you give him just a tiny bit to shoot at. And that was with a wheelgun! Truly a good guy.

Last edited by A6Gator; 05-22-2011 at 09:06..
A6Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:15   #27
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Not the most seasoned, but I can be a little peppery..

27 years Total (CRAP 29 this july I'm getting old)
street cop
UC work assigned to a DEA task force...(crack) south florida
SWAT 23 years
CID
patrol supervisor
district commander
division commander (patrol CID and special operations)
worked a very short time implementing a courthouse security plan.
instructor.

Met Mas many years ago at a conference he was at the same Bar as Chuck Taylor, both were very nice .

My vote goes to Dragoon44

Last edited by Mayhem like Me; 05-22-2011 at 09:17..
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:20   #28
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
My vote goes to Dragoon44
Dragoon isn't seasoned, as much as he's been cured by his saltiness....

1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:23   #29
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
Dragoon isn't seasoned, as much as he's been cured by his saltiness....

Old 05-22-2011, 11:33   #30
4949shooter

Quote:

I thank you Sir.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:55   #31
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWPD View Post
Thanks Mas! It's been a while since we've last seen each other (+25 years? Whose counting....). It was at the NYPD range at Rodman's Neck. You wrote an article on your visit, which I have a copy of.

Hope all is going well with you. I retired in Sept 2010 after 41 years (again, not that I'm counting the years!).

Rich
Glad you made it through, Rich.

I still share your advice on ankle holsters with my students, and IIRC, put it in the Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry, too.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:19   #32
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Glad you made it through, Rich.

I still share your advice on ankle holsters with my students, and IIRC, put it in the Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry, too.

best,
Mas
I'm listening if you want to share it here...
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:54   #33
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

dont know about seasoned, but in the deep south summer i become quite ripe.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 05-22-2011 at 18:06..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 13:08   #34
AZLawDawg
Oh, Oh, Oh!!

I'll hit 6 years next month. I'm still wet behind the ears compared to most here.

As far as the most seasoned, there's a ton of experience on this section of the board, between Dragoon, SAR, Sam Spade, Blue Iron, and a host of others, it's hard to just pick one.
Old 05-22-2011, 13:47   #35
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

WOW...I am not even an officer yet and I am really taken back by the number of years worth of experience on this forum. Every single cop here is a huge inspiration for me to keep following my dream. I am honored to call you all my mentors and friends. I hope that is okay with everybody. There are some great men and women in blue here. Thank you all for your service.

Last edited by KiloBravo; 05-22-2011 at 13:49..
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 13:53   #36
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
I was thinking totally different. I was going to claim most seasoned due to the time I attempted to arrest an Indian cook and he hit me with salt, pepper, curry, garam masala, and cardamom.
Old 05-22-2011, 14:03   #37
Vigilant

Mentors and friends. Exactly. Almost like one big, dysfunctional family, eh? Even a crusty CO like myself is capable of an occasional lucid thought. Six years in the joint here. Four as a CO, one uniformed in Admin, one as a Case Manager, still certified, and still capable of ruining someone's day if they demand to be treated like a prick. I still enjoy watching another sandwich artist having a fresh crap sandwich shoved down his throat. I call 'em sandwich artists because invariably, this type of problem inmate is highly skilled at making his own crap sandwich.

Every now and then, someone gets their panties in a wad when one of our seasoned veterans administers some 'corrective therapy'. Apparently they fail to remember that these good people have paid some serious dues to gain the experience which they share. They also sometimes fail to see just how valuable the butt chewing they just received could be if they take heed.

Cop Talk has helped me a lot through the years, and i'm grateful. I would like to think I have contributed from time to time in return. My thanks and respect to all of you.

Last edited by Vigilant; 05-22-2011 at 14:36.. Reason: Because I'm a knuckle dragging Neanderthal.
Vigilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 14:04   #38
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
^^^^^

This, To the OP, never make the mistake of equating years of service with seasoned or even competent. When I came on the job two of the officers with the most years of service (15 and 20 years respectively) were also the two most useless. They didn't have 15 and 20 years experience, they had one years experience repeated 15 and 20 times.

There are people that can learn how to be a good cop, there are people that seem literally born to do this job, they take to it like a fish to water and being a cop is not just a job or "what they do", it's what they are. Then there are those that if they stayed on the job for 50 years would still leave it without ever once being a good cop.

This board has a wealth of real "Seasoned" cops, many of them have many years of service while some have considerably less but still exhibit all the traits of a seasoned police officer.

In a medium like this those that have a gift for expressing themselves tend to stand out, but that does not mean they are more seasoned than many others. And those who are still on active duty have to be more restrained and watch what they say. While us old retired farts can say whatever we like.

That said there a those that I pay close attention to when they post, like seanmac45, series1811, SamSpade, SouthFla, Blueiron, CheifWPD, G27Chief, SAR, 4949, SwatBawana, are just a few.
Spot on Brother..Truer words have never been spoken....I've been doing this for just about 30 years now (20 on my prior agency and just about 10 with my current). Boy, does time fly when you're having a "Blast" and I still can't believe I've been doing it this long.... When I started back in 1982, as a "rookie" in the command, I got "STUCK" with one of the most useless cops I have ever met. We would be assigned the "crappiest" sector and would literally "sit" on the corner of "Walk and Don't Walk" for the entire tour, unless we were given an assignment. He would actually tell me "kid,don't answer the radio unless I tell you to". Needless to say that this made for very long tours...
I had this extreme on one end and the "6 month wonder" on the other. You know the guy / "know it all" who graduated the academy 6 months before you and was telling war stories as if he had 20 years on. The "fun" part was trying to stay away from both extremes, but that wasn't alway successful.

Last edited by Ajon412; 05-22-2011 at 15:40..
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 14:04   #39
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
I was thinking totally different. I was going to claim most seasoned due to the time I attempted to arrest an Indian cook and he hit me with salt, pepper, curry, garam masala, and cardamom.
So... how was the curry?
Old 05-22-2011, 14:15   #40
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
So... how was the curry?
More important, was the Indian chef practicing concealed curry or open curry?