Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-20-2011, 20:13   #1
UrbanOps

Choosing an expandable

I know some of you aren't fans. However, I would like to try one for a while. We are authorized to carry them, but we must purchase them.

In the academy we were certified using the Monadnock autolock. I really liked the fact that you had to press the button on the end to make it collapse. Most at the department carry the Asp in different lengths that you just beat on the ground to collapse.

Also would like your input on length and which tip to order.
NRA and GSSF Member
UrbanOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 20:32   #2
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

I've used both, and personally I think they're both good options. I don't know why someone would take away another stop on the force continuum before lethal force, but to each their own.

I'm with you on the Autolock feature, even tho I like the ASP more. And that's despite the fact that one of the guys at my first department hit something so hard that he bent the ASP and couldn't close it again. Still don't know how that happened, and don't wanna know.

I've got nothing against the Monadnock, but I prefer the ASP.
Old 05-20-2011, 20:49   #3
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

The Autolock part can be problematic as the baton ages and is exposed to the elements. My opinion, shared by many here, is that the "normal" ASP and ASP-style batons are too thin and too light. The RCB Peackeeper is well regarded on here. I personally carry the same 26" steel ASP that I have had since I started and am yet to use to strike anybody (it's a good poking stick). If I had to cut something from my belt it would be the ASP.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 21:25   #4
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Peacekeeper RCB, aka Winchester, aka Wilmoth. 26 or 29". Most of the weight is in the top half, so kinetic energy works for you. Heavier walls than ASPs, so it is much more durable. It hits like a wood stick, but doesn't swing around and get in your way when you don't need it.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:44   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

I have used my plain jane ASP twice to good effect. The last time I was taking punches and three swings ended the fight.

I wood prefer a stick in a fight, but you will actually have the collapseable on you when you need it.

I dont have any experience with the Monodock, but I swung that ASP hard and it landed hard and it didn't bend.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:13   #6
madcitycop

my peacekeeper was so loud that I ended up taking it off my belt. It rattled non-stop. I tried everything including sending it in and it was certainly not "silent" as they advertised. It was the loudest piece of equipment I ever owned. And it would come undone all the time, got into a foot pursuit in which it came all the way open and I used to check in non stop because of the noise. That was the straw that broke the camels back and I called the company screaming and they sent me a new one that had the same problem. just my .02. I like the auto lock because you can open it 2 handed if you're in close quarters.
madcitycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 17:15   #7
ray9898

The ASP has never failed me. I was always interested in the Monadnock but I was concerned about the potential of failure in the locking mechanism. The ASP is just a simple friction lock.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 19:45   #8
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
The ASP has never failed me. I was always interested in the Monadnock but I was concerned about the potential of failure in the locking mechanism. The ASP is just a simple friction lock.
One thing a lot of people don't think about is to make sure your carrier can still hold the baton once it is expanded.

I learned this the hard way after I won the fight using the baton I had nothing I could do with it while handcuffing the suspect, and there was no time or a hard surface to bang it on to close it up. Maybe a reason to consider the Monadock.

I ended up throwing it in some bushes that looked far enough away it was unlikely he could get to it if he decided he wasn't really giving up. Split second decisions are not always the best ones, as we all know.

After looking at my carrier later that night, I noticed it had a perforated cut-out in the bottom of the carrier. I cut that out and it would now allow you to secure the expanded baton in the holder. Duh.
Old 05-22-2011, 20:47   #9
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I use the ASP sidebreak for exactly that reason...has the whole in the bottom and allows an outward (instead of upward) draw when extended. Since it's plastic, it's good for about ten holstering/unholsterings while open before it's worn out, but obviously I've mentioned how much use I get out of my ASP.

(used it to pry a glovebox open Friday night)

Old 05-22-2011, 21:12   #10
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I use the ASP sidebreak for exactly that reason...has the whole in the bottom and allows an outward (instead of upward) draw when extended. Since it's plastic, it's good for about ten holstering/unholsterings while open before it's worn out, but obviously I've mentioned how much use I get out of my ASP.

(used it to pry a glovebox open Friday night)
I don't have a Taser so when the fists get put up the ASP is my first choice. Only other option is pepper spray and in my experience that has never been a fight ender.

At this point in my career, and after seeing alot of Taser failures in real fights, I dont know that I will carry one when my dept buys some new ones.

I think the Taser is a good tool, but I have seen people in real situations depend on the Taser too much, and then when it fails have a deer in the headlights look and freeze while the BG comes at them.
Old 05-22-2011, 21:32   #11
denn1911

I've had an ASP since 2000, and it's been used. When I was working in a big city, I put it through its paces. Like many, I'm not a fan of how it closes so the AutoLock seems like a better alternative in this regard. While those around me are taking them off of their belts, I still see a use for this tool.
denn1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 22:41   #12
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

I have the autolock, and I like it, but I've never had to use it.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:23   #13
David Armstrong

I like the ASP. Carried a 21" in uniform and a 16" in plainclothes and got a fair amount of use out of them. My 21" is now being carried by my son-in-law.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:54   #14
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I don't have a Taser so when the fists get put up the ASP is my first choice. Only other option is pepper spray and in my experience that has never been a fight ender.

At this point in my career, and after seeing alot of Taser failures in real fights, I dont know that I will carry one when my dept buys some new ones.

I think the Taser is a good tool, but I have seen people in real situations depend on the Taser too much, and then when it fails have a deer in the headlights look and freeze while the BG comes at them.
As long as YOU don't over-depend on the Taser, you'll be fine. If you've never been hit with it and decide to volunteer, I virtually guarantee that you will carry it.

My Chief had no interest in touching the thing for the first three years he was with us (after retiring with 30+ at another agency). We replaced our M26s with X26s and I went to the instructor school (had not had an instructor since our last Chief left and nobody hired since then had been certified). The Chief was certified by the outgoing Chief and not required to be shocked. I talked him in to taking a ride, and despite the typical "it barely affected me" BS I expected from him (video said otherwise), he carried that thing every day from then on.

Old 05-23-2011, 20:32   #15
Jayman
Big Dummy

Send a message via AIM to Jayman
On the ASP vs. Monadnock front, the Monadnocks are heavier than the ASPs for any given size. Maybe you don't care, but ounces make pounds and pounds make pain.
Jayman is offline   Reply With Quote