Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:37   #1
Agent6-3/8

Any Railroad Police Around?

Any of you guys know anything about railroad police?

Been thinking about getting in touch with a friend of mine that's a retired RR special agent (now a cheif at a small PD) and seeing if they have any openings. 4 or 5 years ago, when I was first getting into LE I had a boss with Norfolk & Southern talk to me about a position with their department. I wasn't interested and politely declined, wanting the glitz, glamour and excitement of traditional patrol work. I love patrol, but the better pay, benefits and not having to relocate seems pretty appealing.

Last edited by Agent6-3/8; 05-23-2011 at 09:37..
Agent6-3/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:42   #2
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent6-3/8 View Post
Any of you guys know anything about railroad police?

Been thinking about getting in touch with a friend of mine that's a retired RR special agent (now a cheif at a small PD) and seeing if they have any openings. 4 or 5 years ago, when I was first getting into LE I had a boss with Norfolk & Southern talk to me about a position with their department. I wasn't interested and politely declined, wanting the glitz, glamour and excitement of traditional patrol work. I love patrol, but the better pay, benefits and not having to relocate seems pretty appealing.
Hmm, interesting. I just took NS's aptitude test a few weeks ago. It seems like it has potential to be an interesting job, though I doubt I'll get it.

From the questions on the testing, I would wager that the majority of crimes you deal with are thefts, especially organized crime thefts of cargo and employee perpetrated thefts. Not much else except maybe running off hobos / criminal trespass and such. Are there even still hobos out there?
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:05   #3
Vigilant

Might want to join railroadforums.com or a similar forum and pose that question there. I have a feeling that working in a bowl in this day and age would be a trip, especially at night.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:13   #4
Ajon412

PM sent.....
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:48   #5
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Hmm, interesting. I just took NS's aptitude test a few weeks ago. It seems like it has potential to be an interesting job, though I doubt I'll get it.

From the questions on the testing, I would wager that the majority of crimes you deal with are thefts, especially organized crime thefts of cargo and employee perpetrated thefts. Not much else except maybe running off hobos / criminal trespass and such. Are there even still hobos out there?
Yes, believe it or not, there are still "hobo's" around (professional freight train riders)...More so in the southern states for obvious reasons. As the weather gets warmer, things tend to pick up in the northern states. We deal with pretty much the same crimes as municipal PD's, to include burglaries, trespassers, organized criminal gangs, street gangs, an occasional DV call, DWI's, robberies, assaults, rapes, MV crimes / thefts, suicides, homicides, etc....Sound familar??...It's a wonderful retirement job, there is no age limit and the pay and benefits are very good. If the thought of working/patrolling rural counties in several states to large urban environments and everything in between and enjoy the freedom to move around and work at your own pace, then it might be for you. Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it.
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 13:11   #6
tuica

If your muni needs "bo's", please take some of ours - we have plenty! Portland, Oregon.
Old 05-24-2011, 21:58   #7
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I was going to say there is one I know of and I'll let him make the contact, but I see he already has.

We get them (Santa Fe RR Police) coming on our radio once in a while and sounds like the guy is doing a lot of ped checks around the tracks. He also gets vehicle checks for people parked around his jurisdiction.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote