GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:07   #26
EOD3

Guys, I don't want to be the "old codger" that has to tell everyone about all my medical problems, surgeries, and stories I can only remember half of but...

My back problems started very much like the ones you describe. Today, I have degenerative Disk Disease which is a fancy name for bulged disks which allow the vertebra to restrict the sciatic nerves (both sides) which causes incredible pain beginning roughly at the hip and running down the buttocks and the outside of the leg. Mine has progressed to the point of "bone on bone" contact (part of the disk is totally gone) at the L-?/L-? junction. I have been in a "pain management" program for going on 5 years now. Time release Morphine 150mg per day plus 60mg of Oxycodone for the "rough spots". The only salvation is to PREVENT the problem in the first place.

Get ALL the crap out of your back pockets, anything that makes you sit crooked will cost you in the end (no pun intended). Start dating a physical therapist. Do the exercises the orthopedics doctor recommends, not just for the first few weeks or until it gets to be a PITA, every day. The job requires carrying a boat-load of crap every day and there's not much that can be done about it. However, when you have to lift a ton of bricks or some SOS, let your partner help. I guarantee your back will give out before you run out of upper-body strength.

Just my opinion...

Last edited by EOD3; 05-25-2011 at 02:55.. Reason: Cuaz I'm lisdexic
EOD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 15:51   #27
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

im just now getting the popping and cracking of the vertibrae being re-aligned.....went to chiropractor out of pocket, my city ins. doesnt cover this.

walked out of office like a new man, drove home, got out of the truck and all the pain came back.

time, bengay, hard floor, pain meds, muscle relaxers, and anti inflamitories....

once i get standing straight again im really going to pay attention to my back.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 16:50   #28
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
im just now getting the popping and cracking of the vertibrae being re-aligned.....went to chiropractor out of pocket, my city ins. doesnt cover this.

walked out of office like a new man, drove home, got out of the truck and all the pain came back.

time, bengay, hard floor, pain meds, muscle relaxers, and anti inflamitories....

once i get standing straight again im really going to pay attention to my back.
I was carried out of my house on a stretcher the last time my back went out. They gave me morphine at the ER and it was completely ineffective on the pain.

Chiropractic is good for keeping things moving but doesn't do much to correct the underlying problem.

My back and sciatica problems were the result of poor posture, muscle weakness in my lower back, and tight hamstrings/glutes from years of running and improper stretching.

I went to many therapists and doctors but they were only a little help. In the end I had to find out what I needed to do by trial and error. I could give you the program that fixed my problem but it is probably individual to me.

Good luck and hang in there. I swear I know just what you are going through and it sucks big time.

Regards,
Happyguy
Old 05-29-2011, 17:09   #29
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
I was carried out of my house on a stretcher the last time my back went out. They gave me morphine at the ER and it was completely ineffective on the pain.

Chiropractic is good for keeping things moving but doesn't do much to correct the underlying problem.

My back and sciatica problems were the result of poor posture, muscle weakness in my lower back, and tight hamstrings/glutes from years of running and improper stretching.
I went to many therapists and doctors but they were only a little help. In the end I had to find out what I needed to do by trial and error. I could give you the program that fixed my problem but it is probably individual to me.

Good luck and hang in there. I swear I know just what you are going through and it sucks big time.

Regards,
Happyguy
this is my problem to a T. of course the posture is a result of cruiser/gunbelt usage.....but im going to do more to stretch out during shift.

Old 05-29-2011, 21:07   #30
collim1
Shower Time!

This week took a real toll on my back and hips.

For the first time ever I am considering changing a few things on my duty belt. I have a dull pain in my lower back, with shooting pains in my gun side hip and down the opposite leg.

I went to the in-laws and used his inversion table and that helped.

I am only 28, I never thought I would hurt like this at my age because of this job.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 16:46   #31
enhanced250

Find yourself a good Chiropractor that does some spinal stabilizing exercises. They will most likely give you some stretches and at home exercises to strengthen. The SI joints and the surrounding structures such as the lumbar and gluteal musculature. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.
enhanced250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 17:12   #32
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
im starting to think Bengay, kitchen floor, hot showers, and heating pads are what is the only real "medicine".
In most cases preventive maintenance is the best "medicine" A strong core and flexibility is the way to go. That takes work.

MF
Old 06-01-2011, 01:14   #33
NMPOPS

Send a message via ICQ to NMPOPS
What helped me the most was I stpped carrying my wallet or anything else in my back pocket. Sitting on that crap can really mess you up.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:19   #34
PsychoDad

http://www.mobilitywod.com/
NinersClub #4680
PsychoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:14   #35
BULLRUNN
Double Tap

Drink more Beer. Get out of car and walk every hour. Get some custom insoles made. Lighten up the Duty belt then Drink more Beer.
BULLRUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 22:44   #36
EOD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLRUNN View Post
Drink more Beer. Get out of car and walk every hour. Get some custom insoles made. Lighten up the Duty belt then Drink more Beer.
The beer before and after makes me think you may be confusing LEO and EOD. EOD = Every One Drinks, Even On Duty, Every Other Day, or the latest one: Every One's Dead.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:12   #37
Skunk Pilot

If it gets really bad, I'd recommend Botox for the pain.

Look up the side effects first though. I've been getting it in my neck, shoulders and back for years.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:32   #38
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Sunday afternoon I lifted something in my basement I had no business lifting. I ended up tearing a muscle in my middle upper back. Sounded like a rifle shot and the next thing I knew I was on my knees. I came back to work today to try a half day, but without my dope, I'm miserable. Doc has me on vicodin, a muscle relaxer, and an anti-inflamatory. Misery....
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:36   #39
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
Anyone tried gravity inversion? I did it a few times and it helped my back.
Got an inversion table. It works!!! I also stretch. I have armrests in the drivers seat of my KW, and I often use them to prop myself up and get weight off my back. In my loader I have to shove my ass as far back into the seat as I can. Otherwise, I'm done.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:46   #40
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMPOPS View Post
What helped me the most was I stpped carrying my wallet or anything else in my back pocket. Sitting on that crap can really mess you up.
Yes. That too. My wallet was way too thick with money, so to compensate I wear a High Standard 2 shot derringer in a wallet holster on the other side. Has the hole for my trigger finger. BTW I have discovered the best way to shoot one of those is with the middle finger on the trigger and the index pointed right at your 'target'. (You know, the guy who asked for your wallet)

Actually, lose the wallet and get a man purse. What with all the things we have to pack these days. Cell phone, wallet, car keys, check book, shopping list, Glock, extra mags, knife, comb, rubbers,..... wait a minute, that's my BOB.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:24   #41
EOD3

Shoot with your middle finger? Carry a "man purse"? Just what part of Alaska are you from?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:44   #42
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3 View Post
Shoot with your middle finger? Carry a "man purse"? Just what part of Alaska are you from?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:04   #43
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

It's not a purse. it's my BOB.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:01   #44
fx77
CLM Number 232
Charter Lifetime Member

I had it really bad
I had surgery
Now it is gone
fx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:59   #45
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Here in an hour I get to go do EVOC. I'm wondering how horrid that is going to be since we get our ding-ding slapped for using mirrors when backing up...
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote