GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 10:52   #1
steve1988
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ft. Meade, MD
Posts: 1,232
Going Back To Virginia For The Weekend...

Did the vehicle carry issue ever get resolved? It was on the table when I went to Basic, and I'm now a GA resident, invalidating my VA CCW. Basically, my question is can I carry my Glock loaded, and in the center console legally?
__________________
Thomas Paine: "...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
steve1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 14:20   #2
fiasconva
Senior Member
 
fiasconva's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: York County, VA
Posts: 592
No, not unless you have a concealed carry permit. It has to be in "plain view" not to be considered concealed. You can carry it on the seat beside you. But remember, open carry is legal in VA without a permit. For more info try www.vcdl.org
__________________
"Even if the world were perfect, it wouldn't be."
.....................................................Yogi Berra

Last edited by fiasconva; 05-26-2011 at 14:23.. Reason: adding information
fiasconva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 16:00   #3
vafish
Senior Member
 
vafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia
Posts: 24,168
I didn't think moving invalidated a chp. It should be good until the expiration date.

You have to have your permit and a government issued picture is. Show them your permit and .mil is.
__________________
"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years,
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 05-26-2011 at 16:01..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 16:11   #4
ProactiveShooters
President / CFI
 
ProactiveShooters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasconva View Post
No, not unless you have a concealed carry permit. It has to be in "plain view" not to be considered concealed. You can carry it on the seat beside you. But remember, open carry is legal in VA without a permit. For more info try www.vcdl.org

Incorrect.

You may now carry your handgun (loaded or unloaded) in a "secure" container or compartment of the vehicle w/o a permit. Secure does not necessarily mean locked.
__________________
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Utah Concealed Firearms Certified Instructor
SABRE Pepper Spray CSAP Instructor
Instructor Bio -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by ProactiveShooters; 05-26-2011 at 16:13..
ProactiveShooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 20:47   #5
wtf0ver
Senior Member
 
wtf0ver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 238
Not to derail the thread but I have a similar question. Can you drive in VA with your gun on you concealed provided you have a CCW permit or does it have to be stored in the vehicle? I hope this isn't a dumb question.
__________________
- sent from the future using my iPhone 23 on SkyNet
wtf0ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:10   #6
swinokur
Senior Member
 
swinokur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtf0ver View Post
Not to derail the thread but I have a similar question. Can you drive in VA with your gun on you concealed provided you have a CCW permit or does it have to be stored in the vehicle? I hope this isn't a dumb question.
If you have a CCW, you may drive with the weapon concealed on your person. You are not required to inform LE that you are carrying. I would do it as a courtesy to the officer.

check here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

Last edited by swinokur; 05-27-2011 at 07:11..
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 14:48   #7
wtf0ver
Senior Member
 
wtf0ver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
If you have a CCW, you may drive with the weapon concealed on your person. You are not required to inform LE that you are carrying. I would do it as a courtesy to the officer.

check here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf
Thank you.
__________________
- sent from the future using my iPhone 23 on SkyNet
wtf0ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:56   #8
SouthernBoyVA
Senior Member
 
SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western Prince William County, VA
Posts: 3,102
Interesting that some of my fellow Virginians don't know this. Now they do.
__________________
In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 13:47   #9
fiasconva
Senior Member
 
fiasconva's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: York County, VA
Posts: 592
SouthernBoyVA, I am familiar with the current laws with carrying in a vehicle. You can open a whole new can of worms in some localities, especially the gun unfriendly ones with it not in a locked center console. Not all LEO's are familiar with laws and you may have spend months and money defending yourself in court even though you are legal. I don't know if I'd take that chance. You can choose for yourself.
__________________
"Even if the world were perfect, it wouldn't be."
.....................................................Yogi Berra
fiasconva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 17:22   #10
ProactiveShooters
President / CFI
 
ProactiveShooters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasconva View Post
SouthernBoyVA, I am familiar with the current laws with carrying in a vehicle. You can open a whole new can of worms in some localities, especially the gun unfriendly ones with it not in a locked center console. Not all LEO's are familiar with laws and you may have spend months and money defending yourself in court even though you are legal. I don't know if I'd take that chance. You can choose for yourself.
Again, it doesn't have to be "locked"...just secure.
__________________
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Utah Concealed Firearms Certified Instructor
SABRE Pepper Spray CSAP Instructor
Instructor Bio -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ProactiveShooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02   #11
SouthernBoyVA
Senior Member
 
SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western Prince William County, VA
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasconva View Post
SouthernBoyVA, I am familiar with the current laws with carrying in a vehicle. You can open a whole new can of worms in some localities, especially the gun unfriendly ones with it not in a locked center console. Not all LEO's are familiar with laws and you may have spend months and money defending yourself in court even though you are legal. I don't know if I'd take that chance. You can choose for yourself.
IF you were illegally arrested for carrying within the scope of the law, then you have a pretty solid case. IF it goes to trial, you can always sue after you win to recoup your legal and other costs, which would be a wise thing to do to make sure you hurt them enough so they won't make this mistake again. There is no excuse for our servants to break the law and that we should suffer their deliberate failure to comply with the law.
__________________
In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 14:27   #12
fiasconva
Senior Member
 
fiasconva's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: York County, VA
Posts: 592
Agreed, and we had a couple of cases here in VA where wrongfully arrested men were awarded $10k after being arrested illegally in Norfolk. My CHP instructor was pulled over and after about an hour of assuming the position, record check, etc. was told by the VA Beach police officer that his CHP was not valid in VA Beach but only in Norfolk where it was issued. I was just saying that to some people going through all that may not be worth the hassle. Not all police officers are familar with the laws.
__________________
"Even if the world were perfect, it wouldn't be."
.....................................................Yogi Berra
fiasconva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:43   #13
SouthernBoyVA
Senior Member
 
SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western Prince William County, VA
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasconva View Post
Agreed, and we had a couple of cases here in VA where wrongfully arrested men were awarded $10k after being arrested illegally in Norfolk. My CHP instructor was pulled over and after about an hour of assuming the position, record check, etc. was told by the VA Beach police officer that his CHP was not valid in VA Beach but only in Norfolk where it was issued. I was just saying that to some people going through all that may not be worth the hassle. Not all police officers are familar with the laws.
I know of one of the gentlemen about whom you spoke ($10K suit award). It is strange that most of the problems we tend to see in Virginia, and there aren't many, seem to take place in the Tidewater region. I am within 6+ miles of Manassas, which puts me about 35 miles from Washington, DC, and we rarely seem to have any problems with police up here.

Virginia is the most lenient and gun-friendly state in the South when it comes to carrying open or concealed. We are impeded by fewer laws about when and were and under what conditions we may carry, regardless of the mode of carry, than any other Southern state. It's how it should be. Now if only we could get rid of having to ask permission from our servants to carry concealed, we'd have what the Founders fully intended.
__________________
In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 06-02-2011 at 05:45..
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:29.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 964
269 Members
695 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31