SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-28-2011, 22:55   #1
mikiep

12g vs 20g

Hi MR. Ayoob

I have a Rem 12g and a 20g both at different ends of the house. I added the 20g after reading one of your articles. Anyway, my question is that the wife prefers the 20g do to recoil which is understandable because I do also but can handle the 12g. so, if I loaded the 12g with low recoil ammo would that bring the recoil factor about equal with the 20g? Also, with the low recoil 12g ammo would it have the same, more or less penertration as the 20g?
Thank you
mikiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 23:35   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

mikiep, recoil is subjective, but all other things (mechanism, weight, etc) being equal, I personally find the low-recoil 12 gauge still kicks more than the standard 20 gauge. YMMV.

You didn't mention what type/model of 12 gauge Remington you're using, but I wouldn't trust low recoil loads in any 12 gauge autoloader these days, except the Hornady rounds marked on the box especially for semiautomatic shotguns.

It's surprising how little difference there is between low recoil 12 gauge buck, which is most commonly encountered in 00 size, and standard ("Express") 12 gauge 00 buckshot in terms of penetration. I would expect it to definitely penetrate deeper than standard 20-gauge buckshot, which is typically encountered in the smaller #3 size.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote