Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:14   #1
steveksux
Massive Member

Idiots that keep driving "I didn't know you were pulling ME over"....

Yup, the idiot is me...

In my defense, I think they had the new low profile LED lightbar. They're so small that at night they look much farther away than they really are. So far away that the headlights right behind me must have belonged to the car they were actually trying to pull over, rather than the police car trying to pull me over...

I figured he took so long to pull over, might be a runner, so I pulled over into a side street, but still parallel to the main road (so I could just pull back out behind them once they passed), when the cop pulls up beside me and stops, I'm like... oops... I didn't know you were trying to pull ME over...

He avoided the temptation to treat me like a dumbass, was polite and professional throughout, wasn't concerned about me being armed when I notified him (MI is must notify state).

So got a ticket for headlight out, which I knew was out, been a couple days, haven't had a chance to fix it, and just a warning on a brakelight out, which I didn't know about.

I could tell his headlights were right behind me, but the flashers were so small, they looked at least a carlength or two behind me at night in the mirror...

You guys with the low profile/small LED bars get that a lot at night?

I have to take the ticket to any police station after fixing the lights to void the ticket, but was thinking of going back to Birmingham PD to do a formal complaint. Not that I'm complaining, I just assume they don't have a formal compliment policy/procedure/form, and I wanted to throw some happy paper his way, I figure nobody gets good stuff in their jacket, so would be a nice change of pace.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:39   #2
OLY-M4gery

When emergency vehicles are approaching, you are supposed to pull to the right and stop.

Whether or not you think you did anything wrong, or think they are going after someone else.

It's a hint that they are trying to get somewhere urgently, and need you to let them have the road for a few seconds.
OLY-M4gery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:44   #3
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLY-M4gery View Post
When emergency vehicles are approaching, you are supposed to pull to the right and stop.

Whether or not you think you did anything wrong, or think they are going after someone else.

It's a hint that they are trying to get somewhere urgently, and need you to let them have the road for a few seconds.
I did pull over to let them by, basically at the first side street I came to, it was a narrow road, no shoulder, there was no right to pull over in this case...

After he let me know it was me he was after, I pulled into a driveway off the road to make a nice little "pocket" to stand in that didn't expose him to any traffic, although I should have gone on to next sidestreet and pulled over there instead of stopping on the main road.

Randy
Old 06-12-2011, 04:07   #4
4949shooter

Oly is correct though it sounds like an honest mistake on your part. It's kind of odd though, that the LED lights weren't brighter. Ours are low profile but are extremely bright at night and show up well during the day too.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:46   #5
Patchman
Florist

As long as it wasn't the expired registration/no insurance car...

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 06-12-2011 at 06:47..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:02   #6
Police10-42

Never had any "no stoppers" during night shift with the bar I have on my patrol vehicle.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:30   #7
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
Oly is correct though it sounds like an honest mistake on your part. It's kind of odd though, that the LED lights weren't brighter. Ours are low profile but are extremely bright at night and show up well during the day too.
Oh, they're bright as hell, but are so small they look farther away... I saw them, but looked far enough away I assumed there was a car or two between us.

I'm guessing it was the size the threw me off, not the brightness. When he pulled next to me and I had to pull around to go someplace better to stop, they were so bright I could barely see his car to make sure I wasn't going to crease it, they were blowing my night vision. I could barely see his fender next to me.

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 06-12-2011 at 09:31..
Old 06-12-2011, 09:33   #8
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
As long as it wasn't the expired registration/no insurance car...
Ain't that the truth! I gotta take care of that one today... my luck doesn't sound like its running too hot does it...

Randy
Old 06-12-2011, 09:35   #9
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police10-42 View Post
Never had any "no stoppers" during night shift with the bar I have on my patrol vehicle.
Are all the led bars really short/low profile? They look tiny compared to the normal sized light bar. I'm guessing that's what made it look so far away.

Randy
Old 06-12-2011, 15:31   #10
Jayman
Big Dummy

Send a message via AIM to Jayman
Our LED bars are way brighter than the old lights. The only no stoppers I've had were a runner and a drunk.
Jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 15:37   #11
Pepper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Are all the led bars really short/low profile? They look tiny compared to the normal sized light bar. I'm guessing that's what made it look so far away.

Randy
Most are. Ours are only one row of LED's, and are only about 2-3" tall. They're incredibly bright though, the backflash off of the violator's car is usually enough to destroy my night vision even before I turn on the spotlight.

If you want the guy to get an "atta-boy", write a nice note addressed to the chief of police, and mention the patrolman by name.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 15:59   #12
Trigger Finger

On a stake out about 0100 hrs and we heard a siren in the distance. It got louder and louder until it was across from the target location and we see that it was a motor officer, on his bike, trying to pull over an old man who continued to drive about 15 mph.
The old guy finally stopped and this 6 ft 8 in motor officer tells the guy to get out and walk back to his motor. The motor officer bends this guy over until his head is in front of the bikes siren and the officer turns the siren on for about 10 seconds. I swear the old guys grey hair was blowing back in the blast of the siren. Then we could see the officer shaking his finger at the old guy before he writes him a ticket.

LAPD diplomacy!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 18:56   #13
Bravesfansince70

It wasn't in a car but...

We had two guys in two different foot chases Friday night who said they didn't realize the two guys in uniform chasing them and yelling, "get on the ground...you're gonna get tased" were the police
Old 06-12-2011, 22:09   #14
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravesfansince70 View Post
We had two guys in two different foot chases Friday night who said they didn't realize the two guys in uniform chasing them and yelling, "get on the ground...you're gonna get tased" were the police
Damn!!! Was that you??? I was gonna start another thread about that...

Randy