Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-30-2011, 21:18   #1
the perfesser

4.5 lb. connector in G36

I have broached this same subject in the Sub Forum while discussing my G26. I own three Glocks: G34, G36, G26. The 4.5 lb. is standard in my G34. I need to improve my accuracy with that pistol, but I like the smoothness of the trigger.

What do folks think about the advisability of this "lighter" connector in the G36, which might occasionally be carried concealed? Any liability or safety concerns?
the perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 16:25   #2
Pecos Bill

I can see some advantage to a better/smoother trigger on my G36 but I would be afraid of liability if ever I would have to deploy. Modifications are one of the 1st things "they" look for. A police officer shot a student and that was reported that the gun was as issued so it was the officers mistake. Had the gun been modified, I'm sure the story would have been different.
Pecos Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:04   #3
Sonnytoo

It seems like most of the legal "advisors" do shy away from the (-) connector for carry purposes. My G36 was over 8 pounds when factory-new, so I put in a Ghost 4.5# (drop-in) connector and twenty-five cent polish job. It breaks now at 5# with a nice reset and I like it just fine.
Sonnytoo
Sonnytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 17:16   #4
Dave T

I've never quite understood the "liability" thing with replacement parts or better trigger pulls. If the shooting is justified it won't matter what connector you have in the Glock. If the shooting is not justified it won't matter what connector you have in the Glock. If you miss your intended target (bad guy) and hit something of value or someone not threatening you, you have both a legal and a liability problem. I would think a better, more controllable trigger pull would be advantageous rather than a liability.

My $.02 worth,
Dave
Old 06-04-2011, 17:39   #5
chasbo00

Why would it make any difference unless you were claiming an unintended discharge?
chasbo00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 19:30   #6
Pappy John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnytoo View Post
It seems like most of the legal "advisors" do shy away from the (-) connector for carry purposes. My G36 was over 8 pounds when factory-new, so I put in a Ghost 4.5# (drop-in) connector and twenty-five cent polish job. It breaks now at 5# with a nice reset and I like it just fine.
Sonnytoo
I had the same issue, and responded with the same fix. The new connector brought the 36 right into the same trigger pull range as the rest of my Glocks with standard connectors. This is a carry gun and the new connector is staying.
Old 06-04-2011, 20:02   #7
BlackDobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
I've never quite understood the "liability" thing with replacement parts or better trigger pulls. If the shooting is justified it won't matter what connector you have in the Glock. If the shooting is not justified it won't matter what connector you have in the Glock. If you miss your intended target (bad guy) and hit something of value or someone not threatening you, you have both a legal and a liability problem. I would think a better, more controllable trigger pull would be advantageous rather than a liability.

My $.02 worth,
Dave
Just my opinion - this strikes me as one of the most sensible arguments that I have heard on this subject.

Because of the way the lawyers like to play the legal system I can still see how they can potentially influence an ignorant jury on the 3rd party unapproved connectors, I feel a little more comfortable with a factory-made Glock "-" connector regardless of which model and which country they decided to market it to.

That sounds more to me like a manufacturer making a decision based on "import points" or country specific political correctness than based on any real safety concerns.

I personally, would rather have equipment that provides better control than worrying about what BS arguments the opposing bottom feeder lawyer will try to come up with.

It's not like he is going to say 'well, all the equipment was stock and original, so everything is all good'.

JMHO

NRA Life Member
Certified GLOCK Armorer

Put the fed. govt. in charge of the Sahara Desert and in five years there'd be a shortage of sand.
BlackDobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 20:42   #8
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the perfesser View Post
I have broached this same subject in the Sub Forum while discussing my G26. I own three Glocks: G34, G36, G26. The 4.5 lb. is standard in my G34. I need to improve my accuracy with that pistol, but I like the smoothness of the trigger.

What do folks think about the advisability of this "lighter" connector in the G36, which might occasionally be carried concealed? Any liability or safety concerns?
Wow! I'll bet the answers you get to this one are going to really run the entire gamut of pros and cons. Mas Ayoob will, certainly, give you one reply; and someone like myself will give you another. Here's my own take on this, admittedly important, subject:

For the record, every one of my Glock pistols is fitted with a 4.5# Lone Wolf connector. No question, from the viewpoint of shooter accuracy, a 4.5# connector is definitely the way to go. (I am a strong believer in the importance of accurate gunfire and consider any device that aids and assists accuracy to be an important safety feature.)

From the perspective of gun safety, I'm going to offer that Glock, GmbH's OWN ARGUMENT for the inherent safety of all Glock pistols is the very same rationale that can be used to warrant the equally inherent safety of using a 4.5# connector. Specifically, keep your finger off the trigger; and you haven't got a problem.

What if your finger is, however, on the trigger? In this instance very little changes. The use of a 5.5-6.0# connector is virtually the same as a 4.5# connector. EXCEPT - while the trigger's mechanical, 'let-off' does, indeed, improve - there's actually a lot more, 'front end mush' on the lighter connector for the shooter to initially have to pull through.

Besides, by no stretch of imagination, is a 4.5# connector - which generally yields a cumulative trigger pull of up to 5 + pounds - considered to be a, 'light' trigger. (My own Glocks yield cumulative trigger pulls of 4.9 to 5.2#'s.) I think most experienced pistoleros would agree that until a Glock's cumulative trigger pull drops below 3#'s, you haven't got a, 'light' Glock trigger.

I've read about (probably) hundreds of CQB pistol gunfights on the internet. I'm always struck by the salient fact that many unintentional bullet strikes are made by poorly delivered gunfire. Personally, I consider, 'missed shots' to be of much greater danger than unintentional gunfire. A, 'light trigger' is unquestionably a sensational legal topic; but, how likely, how realistic, is it out in the real world? (In my own opinion, not very!)

If Glock's, 'safe-action' trigger really works, and (literally) all heavily experienced Glock gunmen adhere to the well-known principle of keeping your finger outside the trigger guard and off the trigger until you're ready to actually fire the pistol, then there really is NO SAFETY PROBLEM that can be LEGITIMATELY associated with the use of a 4.5# connector in any Glock.

I would guess the vast majority of this board's members are well aware of Cooper's Third Rule of Gun Safety: 'NEVER PLACE YOUR FINGER INSIDE THE TRIGGER GUARD UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE MADE A CONSCIOUS DECISION TO FIRE!' If this paramount rule of gun safety is scrupulously followed then there really isn't any valid concern over which Glock connector is used. A, 'righteous shoot' remains a, 'righteous shoot'. Here's all four of Cooper's Gun Safety Rules:

1. THE GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED!

2. NEVER ALLOW THE MUZZLE TO POINT AT ANYTHING YOU ARE UNWILLING TO SEE DESTROYED!

3. NEVER PLACE YOUR FINGER INSIDE THE TRIGGER GUARD UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE MADE A CONSCIOUS DECISION TO FIRE!

4. CLEARLY IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET, AND WHAT IS BEHIND IT!

Last edited by Arc Angel; 06-04-2011 at 20:53..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 14:51   #9
JoeG19

..hmmm...

I'd leave it alone. My 36 works perfect stock (except +0s). - 'ole joe

LFI-1
The Only Latin I Know:
Montani Semper Liberi
Semper Fidelis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
JoeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 23:21   #10
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnytoo View Post
Sonnytoo

Hey MI Amigo ! Yep my G36 trigger was stiffer than all heck as well when I got it new. Felt like the double action pull on a Sig ! Ha. I stuck the "dreaded" ( - ) Glock factory connector in mine along with (like you) the 25 cent trigger polish job and that baby is smooth as glass and tightened up the groups very nicely. I like that little Glock (-) connector. Use it in several of my Glocks, seems to work great....

Well, Talk with ya soon when ya get home.

Watch your six !

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 13:08   #11
tecate321

Send a message via Yahoo to tecate321
I bought the LEO 36 Blue label model...it came with a 5.5 lb trigger....nice....glad I was able to get it....
Old 06-29-2011, 13:14   #12
dreis454

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecate321 View Post
I bought the LEO 36 Blue label model...it came with a 5.5 lb trigger....nice....glad I was able to get it....
Umm they ALL (36s) come with the 5.5 in them
Colt stainless Commander XSE w/VZ grips
S&W M&P Shield 9mm carry
Lee Enfield mkIV no2 .303 British/Remy 870
dreis454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:05   #13
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreis454 View Post
Umm they ALL (36s) come with the 5.5 in them

They do as far as I understand from Glock. The blue label that was sent to me 'straight from Glock' in Ga; had three hi cap mags in it. I called and talked to a friend of mine there and he said the only difference in the blue label Leo and the rest, are the fact that 3 hi caps in the blue label LEO box. Mine was a G20, and certanly had a stiff trigger pull. (normal I should say)...

Stay safe Amigo !

CM

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 06-30-2011 at 09:05..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote