SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-31-2011, 21:25   #1
tikka
Tikka

What is the best vest?

Need advice, I need a new vest. I am currently using an extreme by ABA. I want the lightest and most comfortable one I can get. Thanks
tikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 23:46   #2
x_out86

I have been extremely happy with my Point Blank C-Series IIIA.

Comfortable, adjusts well, and can fit 8x10 plates front and back.

Mine is NIJ .06 certified and even came with an extra carrier. Was under $500 too.

Wore Safarilands before this one. Cant complain about those either.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
x_out86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:11   #3
GearGuru

US Armor XLT, great carrier and good weight/flexibility
GearGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:22   #4
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

I loved all my previous Second Chance vests. Completely comfortable for me. My new Armor Express product was horribly uncomfortable. It just felt terrible and seemed surprisingly heavy. But we were given the option of an external vest carrier (made custom by J&G Uniform in Chicago) and THOSE are fannnnnnnnnnnntastic. You can't even tell you're wearing body armor. It fits PERFECTLY.

My thanks to the little tiny polish man who made it!!

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 17:05   #5
spyd3r05

Vols which carrier do you have cause I kind of like my armor express... feels a bit better than the gall's brand it just replaced...
spyd3r05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 18:39   #6
GTownGlockMan

I was issued a Point Blank Hi-lite IIIA at my last department. Really liked it, ditto on the large plate pockets. Was thin, very light, very flexible. Just got picked up at another dept and have to supply my own armor this time. Plan on another Hi-Lite or possibly a Point Blank Vision since it comes standard with Thorshield
Old 06-05-2011, 18:40   #7
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

There's no brand name to my vest carrier. It's custom made by J&G Uniform in Chicago. You walk in there with your vest. They measure the vest, measure your body, trace an outline of the vest on paper, and a very gifted little polish man about 5 feet tall creates the thing from scratch.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:36   #8
x_out86

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTownGlockMan View Post
I was issued a Point Blank Hi-lite IIIA at my last department. Really liked it, ditto on the large plate pockets. Was thin, very light, very flexible. Just got picked up at another dept and have to supply my own armor this time. Plan on another Hi-Lite or possibly a Point Blank Vision since it comes standard with Thorshield
I would be very careful about getting anything with the Thorshield.

Got an officer safety e-mail about vests with that in them. Apparently if both darts get the vest, it does it job as designed. However, if one gets the vest and the other gets your skin, the TASER effect is magnified.

I will see if I can find that e-mail and forward it to you in a PM if you are interested.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:49   #9
GTownGlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_out86 View Post
I would be very careful about getting anything with the Thorshield.

Got an officer safety e-mail about vests with that in them. Apparently if both darts get the vest, it does it job as designed. However, if one gets the vest and the other gets your skin, the TASER effect is magnified.

I will see if I can find that e-mail and forward it to you in a PM if you are interested.
Hey man I really appreciate that! Yeah it was a point of contention for me on the Thorshield. Thought it was a good idea but had a hard time justifying it. Hell, the chance of being hit with an esd is further reduced at my new department since we don't carry Taser to begin with. In my head I was playing out the scenario of maybe some BG attempting to drive stun me and with Thorshield I would have been protected. I know, chances are slim and none. And for a difference of close to $150 when I'm already struggling to drop $700 on a Hi-Lite I was already iffy as it was.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:31   #10
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Hey man I really appreciate that! Yeah it was a point of contention for me on the Thorshield. Thought it was a good idea but had a hard time justifying it. Hell, the chance of being hit with an esd is further reduced at my new department since we don't carry Taser to begin with. In my head I was playing out the scenario of maybe some BG attempting to drive stun me and with Thorshield I would have been protected. I know, chances are slim and none. And for a difference of close to $150 when I'm already struggling to drop $700 on a Hi-Lite I was already iffy as it was.
You're probably not getting shocked through your body armor with a drive stun, depedning of course, on where the stun is delivered.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:59   #11
buddah

Send a message via AIM to buddah Send a message via Yahoo to buddah
Stay away from first choice body armor, also known as diamondback tactical. My department issued level3 and the panels started to get moldy. They are suppose to replace the defective panels and we have been waiting for 2 months now. I went out and bought a PPE Python. The vest is very comfortable.
buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:55   #12
x_out86

Quote:
I will see if I can find that e-mail. It even contains a number of videos that show exactly what I was talking about. Might take me a few days to dig it up.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:56   #13
GTownGlockMan

Good deal, just placed my order with BodyArmorOutlet for my IIIA Hi-Lite without Thorshield, $689 shipped, not too bad
Old 06-09-2011, 01:43   #14
x_out86

Quote:
Good deal, just placed my order with BodyArmorOutlet for my IIIA Hi-Lite without Thorshield, $689 shipped, not too bad
Did you get an extra carrier for free?
Old 06-09-2011, 17:24   #15
GTownGlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_out86 View Post
Did you get an extra carrier for free?
Come to think of it nothing was said about an extra carrier...so i dunno. Hope so.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:03   #16
x_out86

Quote:
As promised, I was finally able to track down the video/e-mail that I talked about. Here is the link to the video from youtube:

http://youtu.be/Cj4s4VkWNw0

If you are still interested in the rest of the e-mail, PM me.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:52   #17
pal2511

Send a message via AIM to pal2511
I love my usarmor vest I just dont care for the customer service. I didn't get an extra carrier either and they are $100 a pop
Old 07-26-2011, 13:56   #18
COLOSHOOTR

I like US Armor and tend to stick with the Kevlar models. My vest did come with and extra carrier. My new vest is also approved to the new .06 standard. The new standard simulates normal wear and tear better then the old ones so you have a better idea that it is not as likely to degrade and fail.

Too many things seem to go wrong with those super high tech, light weight, flexable, exotic blends. Think Xylon....

We used to have a State approved body armor list (don't know if we do now due to cuts and not hearing a word about it anymore). The guy that ran the tests was very passionate about what he did. He would take vests that were ordered by Officers for duty use and shoot those vests rather then one specifically sent to them to be tested. It was amazing all the super high tech blends that failed the testing.

The Kevlar is time tested. It may be a little heavier and less flexable but on that bad day at work when you do take one to the chest you can be sure the Kevlar will work.

-George Orwell-

Last edited by COLOSHOOTR; 07-26-2011 at 13:57..
COLOSHOOTR is offline   Reply With Quote