Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:18   #1
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

That guy

..we all know him, every version of him. We have all had to deal with working with him from time to time.

The "that Guy" I have in mind today is the "that guy" the coward.

The one that always tries to make sure he never arrives at a hot call until other officers have secured the scene, even if he was just a block away when the call was dispatched.

The one that is fearful of getting hurt and tried to mask his fear and incompetence behind a smokescreen of excuses for why he never does what he knows he should do. Like false claims he didn't want to violate the suspects rights so that is why he backed down and left with his tail between his legs, or fears he would be sued is why he didn't do what he was trained to do.

He knows the real cops hold him in contempt and he equally loathes them. If he stays in LE it is not out of a desire to serve the public or do his job correctly, it's because he won't give up that pay and benefits.

Now thanks to the internet, "That Guy" can have his revenge. He can now run his cowardly mouth with impunity, safe behind the screen of anonymity that the internet provides. And of course when the Real cops point out what he is, why they are just statist Jack booted thugs, like the ones he has to work with everyday, because he lacks the integrity to put his money where his mouth and his pretend principles are and just quit.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:11   #2
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Before we got GPS in our patrol cars, I remember catching more than one of "those guys" parked on a side street with their lights off, waiting for other units to get to a hot call first.

Don't get me started....
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:31   #3
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

I had "that guy" as a supervisor at my last agency. He'd tuck tail and slink away when a fight was gearing up, or find some lame excuse not to respond to a scene when requested, but he'd be the first one to try to jam you up over "excessive force" or "civil rights violations."

The only positive for the situation was that the supervisor above him was a stand up guy, even tho he wouldn't hold that guy's feet to the fire for his antics.

"That guy" made life miserable for all of us, because we were reflections of what he knew he should have been, and it disgusted him that he was too spineless to be that. Althought I don't see him even having the sack to talk to anyone on here, let alone confront them on a serious issue, who knows? He might be one of the punks lurking here, trying to convince everyone he's the end-all, be-all of police work.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:47   #4
packsaddle

I am fortunate to work for a semi-rural county with two small cities (4k) in it.

we don't have any of those "that guy".

there are very few county deputies and even fewer city officers.

everyone knows who's working and where everyone is most of the time.

EVERYONE shows up for hot calls in the order of their proximity to the call, although we may wait down the street for the person who received the call to arrive first, depending on the nature of the call.

for example, last night we had a disturbance in a rural area of the county involving a handgun and everyone on duty, including all three county units, a city officer, and a state trooper showed up at about the same time.

the only one that didn't show up was the other city officer, and that was only because he was at the other end of the county from the call and would have arrived about 30 minutes too late.

it's hard to be "that guy" in our county because we are all on the same channel, there is no way to talk your way out of it, and nowhere to hide.
packsaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:57   #5
blueiron
Clown move, bro

In my case, it was "those guys and gals" and boy, do these people tick me off!

I called these people "sputniks". They'd orbit a scene like a satellite, usually about a mile out and follow Kepler's laws of orbital mechanics to a T. Once the first unit arrived and bought the dispo/the DR/ and the arrest[s], the sputniks would all "fall to earth" to help out with minor paperwork, make a wagon, spectate, or make an appearance for the boss.

As described, some of these people were absolute laziness personified. They spent hours and endless amounts of energy in a quest to avoid meeting the dreaded DR number. In the early days before MDCs, they'd buy radio drinks or lunch to ingratiate themselves and bribe their ways out of radio calls or they'd volunteer to take one residential burglary call and then go hide in a station. They'd then claim they had to impound massive amounts of evidence to catch a serial burglar. The advent of the MDC and digital messaging made being a slacker as easy as watching a DVD. Call up the screen, pick a simple call - read the narrative, and silently message radio to send the call. Result? No patrol time and lots of activity.

Accidents were a particular curse, because only a few people enjoyed them and enough people didn't enjoy standing outside in the Arizona summer and working. DUI accidents were the worst - the first officer bought everything and the sputniks showed up only to do a tow sheet or man the traffic signal box. After complaining long and hard by clever officers, policy was soon changed and the first officer on scene bought only the accident. It became his or her scene and he or she could assign the next units to do specific tasks - tow inventories, the DUI investigation, traffic control, etc. Then, even the lazy officers raced to get to the scene to take accidents and avoid getting the DUI portion. We even showed how productivity went up and the grumbling stopped among the working officers - the lazy whined even more.

Some were out and out cowards. They got their guaranteed government job and were determined to avoid doing anything. Scared of the dead, scared of the homeless, scared of the drunks, scared of the suspects, scared of the dark [yes, we had a female officer who got a physician to sign off that her circadian cycle was being disrupted and she was medically impacted - thus she got M-F day shift for well over a decade], scared of weapons - including their own, and scared of life in general. We had them and many of the military vets among us wanted to shoot them first in a huge shootout situation. Most went running for DARE and bad mouthed the others in an effort to get selected to hang with the 5th grade set.

The incompetent.... oh yes, the incompetent. Their watch word was liability and boy did they love that word! Never do something, it might result in liability. Never do anything, it might result in liability. Some were genuinely low in intelligence, some were lacking in common sense, and some lacked both. All lacked any decision making ability whatsoever, other than to select the default term - liability. If one was lazy and incompetent, yet had some form of animal cunning; they worked hard to get promoted. That way, they could sit inside of an office, avoid all danger, and pass judgement on those who held them in derision on the streets. Yes, we had those as well.

Guess which defective gene pool many police administrators come from?

Because of people like these, I am glad I am gone.

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45

Last edited by blueiron; 05-28-2011 at 11:15..
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:14   #6
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Great post / rant, blueiron!
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:33   #7
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I was talking with a couple of colleagues last night and realized something of a variation of a "that guy" - the type of officer that when somebody finds out that you know them or work with them they always ask "so, what do you think of soandso?" Never giving away their own opinion and just kinda waiting to see.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:34   #8
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

One of our academy instructors referred to a specific type of "that guy" as a "STAN." It stands for "****, that ain't nothin!" They're the guys that sit there impatiently listening to somebody else's war story just waiting to jump in and tell their much "better" story.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:36   #9
Vigilant

We have 'em inside the fence too. One in particular sticks out like a turd in a swimming pool. He has been trying his darndest to transfer a couple hours away to shack up with his latest flame. Unfortunately for him, those above us have really tightened down on personnel evaluations. He used to be able to cover for his laziness and ineptitude by geting a certain someone to give him glowing evaluations, and even arrange for others to get screwed. He even convinced a certain someone to make a phone call and get him a passing grade on the Sergeant's exam. He has not made rank though, and I doubt that he will now. Whenever the smoke clears after a fight and the rest of us are cleaning up and choking on the OC fumes, if he is seen at all, he is far out of harm's way, with his hands in his pockets. He has no problem at all with lying his way out of his many screw-ups, and letting someone else take the hit. Has a tag on the front of his car with a strong religious theme, and it's a well-known fact that he treats his elderly mother like dirt. What a guy. yes, I can truthfully say that I know that guy. Unfortunately for us, I have been told off the record that with his personnel file in the shape it's in now, he's not going anywhere.

BTW, I'm tempted to wear my jack boots to work a few days, and see how long it takes someone to complain.
Old 05-28-2011, 13:04   #10
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

One of the common traits of all the "That guys" is if they are ambitious they never try to move up the ladder through merit or hard work. their route is not to be better at their job but to be better at stabbing everyone else in the back.

Their ladder to the top is comprised of the bodies of everyone between them and their goal.

That is one reason why if they do achieve rank they have no problem at all in throwing someone else under the bus.

They are the ones that gripe and moan about the administration the most and if you join in with them thier next stop is the admin office to rat on you and get their daily dose of brown-nosing the bosses.

Last edited by Dragoon44; 05-28-2011 at 13:07..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 13:34   #11
collim1
Shower Time!

Funny, our guy kinda of redeemed himself to me last night. Had a stabbing at a night club, chased the suspect two blocks when he turned to face me with a fixed blade knife in his hand.

I made a "tactical retreat" while clearing leather and the BG dropped the knife. Here comes goober out of nowhere like a mad, screaming banshee and nails the dude as soon as the knife hit the ground.

Well see if he can keep it up.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 13:35   #12
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
Funny, our guy kinda of redeemed himself to me last night. Had a stabbing at a night club, chased the suspect two blocks when he turned to face me with a fixed blade knife in his hand.

I made a "tactical retreat" while clearing leather and the BG dropped the knife. Here comes goober out of nowhere like a mad, screaming banshee and nails the dude as soon as the knife hit the ground.

Well see if he can keep it up.
Good. Nobody wants a "that guy."

Did the bad guy make that whoosh sound they make when all the wind gets knocked out of them?

Old 05-28-2011, 14:42   #13
SAR
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
..we all know him, every version of him. We have all had to deal with working with him from time to time.

The "that Guy" I have in mind today is the "that guy" the coward.

The one that always tries to make sure he never arrives at a hot call until other officers have secured the scene, even if he was just a block away when the call was dispatched.
We don't have a problem with "that guy." Our bigger problem is with "this guy." This guy always gets to the scene last so he doesn't have to take the paper. After a few years, this guy becomes "this supervisor guy." This supervisor guy always makes sure he is the last supervisor to arrive so he doesn't have to take charge and take the use of force report.
Old 05-28-2011, 15:09   #14
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR View Post
We don't have a problem with "that guy." Our bigger problem is with "this guy." This guy always gets to the scene last so he doesn't have to take the paper. After a few years, this guy becomes "this supervisor guy." This supervisor guy always makes sure he is the last supervisor to arrive so he doesn't have to take charge and take the use of force report.
Or make a decision, a trait of That/this guy who makes rank is they will desperately endeavor to NEVER make a decision. Always trying to kick it upstairs to avoid ever having to take responsibility for something.
Old 05-28-2011, 15:38   #15
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I was talking with a couple of colleagues last night and realized something of a variation of a "that guy" - the type of officer that when somebody finds out that you know them or work with them they always ask "so, what do you think of soandso?" Never giving away their own opinion and just kinda waiting to see.
On a related story.... I had stopped of at a local Constable's office, while at work one day, and was talking to one of their Chief Deputies. He mentioned that one of our former officers was working for them. This guy he was referring to had been high ranking at my department, and had been forced to retire before he wanted to.... I never had a high opinion of him anyway, so when this Chief Deputy mentioned his name, I immediately commented about what a POS he is.

The Chief Deputy looked like I hit him with a flashbang, and I thought my partner started having a stroke.... I looked at them innocently and said, "What? I don't work for him anymore.... I don't have to kiss his ass."

Surprisingly, I never got called to the carpet for that one. Maybe it's because the guy burned a ton of bridged to get where he was, and left without many friends.
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 18:32   #16
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
...their route is not to be better at their job but to be better at stabbing everyone else in the back.

Their ladder to the top is comprised of the bodies of everyone between them and their goal.

That is one reason why if they do achieve rank they have no problem at all in throwing someone else under the bus.
This one actually made me think of one of the "investigators" at my last department. He was the type that would throw anyone and everyone under the bus in order to make himself look good to the higher ups, but wasn't smart enough or charming enough to keep himself in everyone's good graces so as to get the dirt on people.

I remember several times running into him after an arrest and he'd ask me something along the lines of, "So I hear you really gave that guy a beating. Really taught him a lesson. Is that right?" I used to love just giving him a smirk and saying, "Read my report, watch the video, it's all there" and walking away.

What a bagga******.
Old 05-28-2011, 18:45   #17
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
This one actually made me think of one of the "investigators" at my last department. He was the type that would throw anyone and everyone under the bus in order to make himself look good to the higher ups, but wasn't smart enough or charming enough to keep himself in everyone's good graces so as to get the dirt on people.

I remember several times running into him after an arrest and he'd ask me something along the lines of, "So I hear you really gave that guy a beating. Really taught him a lesson. Is that right?" I used to love just giving him a smirk and saying, "Read my report, watch the video, it's all there" and walking away.

What a bagga******.
Next time just ask him, "Want me to demonstrate on you what I did so you will know?
Old 05-28-2011, 19:00   #18
old_pigpen
Huh? What?

Back when the City PD paid less than the poverty line, "that guy" worked for them. He used to get off on harassing teenagers and enjoyed doing traffic stops on them. However, he would not even get out of his car when he did a traffic stop on an adult until backup showed up.

On open door or alarm calls that he was dispatched to, he would arrive on scene and then dispatch would lose radio contact with him. When he didn't answer repeated calls over the radio, dispatch would pull other officers off their dinner break or out of their patrol district to head to his location, thinking he was in trouble. Each time, they'd find him sitting on the hood of his car or standing by it. His excuse - his radio stopped working (mysteriously started working soon after) or once he said his battery fell out! Yes, that was back in the day when the radios had a big screw that kept the battery door locked. I heard that he did get his butt chewed for the "battery fell out" excuse.

The only reason he wasn't fired was that he would work for the low pay. As you can guess, he was promoted to sergeant.

Last edited by old_pigpen; 05-28-2011 at 19:03..
old_pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 19:22   #19
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
One of the common traits of all the "That guys" is if they are ambitious they never try to move up the ladder through merit or hard work. their route is not to be better at their job but to be better at stabbing everyone else in the back.

They are the ones that gripe and moan about the administration the most and if you join in with them thier next stop is the admin office to rat on you and get their daily dose of brown-nosing the bosses.
Oooh, don't get me started on that soap box. My good agency has more than its share of brown nosing; back side kissing; leg riding; sycophants, whose soul aim in life is to get up at the expense of others, and leaving the down trodden souls in their wakes while doing so. Then there is the old mess up and move up routine. AAARGH!!!
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 19:25   #20
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Or make a decision, a trait of That/this guy who makes rank is they will desperately endeavor to NEVER make a decision. Always trying to kick it upstairs to avoid ever having to take responsibility for something.
Yeah, we have those too. They must be freakin' everywhere!
Old 05-28-2011, 19:34   #21
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Maybe our agencies should consider handling cowards the way the Army handled Private Slovik. That Guy might have a change of heart (well, if he had anything but pus and that empty feeling inside him) and quit before he gets any of the real cops hurt.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 19:35   #22
Vigilant

I can truthfully say, they have cleaned most of it up where I'm at. But we still have a couple.
Old 05-28-2011, 19:39   #23
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
Maybe our agencies should consider handling cowards the way the Army handled Private Slovik. That Guy might have a change of heart (well, if he had anything but pus and that empty feeling inside him) and quit before he gets any of the real cops hurt.
Well executions may be a bit stiff for the punishment, but ...
Old 05-28-2011, 19:42   #24
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Well executions may be a bit stiff for the punishment, but ...
Formal drumming-out then, maybe?
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 19:50   #25
AZLawDawg
Oh, Oh, Oh!!

Quote:
What the... I think your old supervisor transferred out here. Did this same supervisor utter the timeless classic "why do you guys need shotguns and rifles??"

wow...
AZLawDawg is offline   Reply With Quote