Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-01-2011, 18:24   #1
Jene

Chest rig as a bail-out bag??

Wondering if anyone isusing a chest rig for bail out gear, justa thought. I presently have the shoulder carried bail-out bag, but was toying with the idea of a chest rig... all the stuff is up front where I can access it, and it wont flop like a shoulder bag. Any thoughts on this ?????

Last edited by Jene; 06-01-2011 at 18:25..
Jene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 18:53   #2
phred119

I had a shoulder carried bail out bag (tactical purse) at one point, but training with it proved that it bounced around way too much for me to be comfortable with. I now use a vest that carries 3-4 mags for the rifle, 2 mags for the pistol, and various other items. It works much better for me, since, like you said, everything is up front where it is easily accesible, and doesn't bounce around.
phred119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 19:20   #3
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Made by a cop:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-0...ness-s/124.htm

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 19:45   #4
LowScooter7

I have a molle "go vest" that I created. I attached 3 AR mags and 3 glock mags to the left side. The right side has a pouch with 550 cord, mirror, knife, glo sticks. Above that is cuff case with two cuffs. The back has a small medical kit and numerous plastic cuffs. I can take pics if anyone wants.
LowScooter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 20:54   #5
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jene View Post
Wondering if anyone isusing a chest rig for bail out gear, justa thought. I presently have the shoulder carried bail-out bag, but was toying with the idea of a chest rig... all the stuff is up front where I can access it, and it wont flop like a shoulder bag. Any thoughts on this ?????
The last foot pursuit I was in I was toting my AR and bail out bag. JMO, but the bag is totally impractical. Flops around too much, too hard to get mags out, a "handle" if you end up hands on with a suspect, and I'm sure I could think of a few more if I studied on it. It took me about two steps to realize that a vest or chest rig is the way to go.

I caught the son of a *****, btw.
Old 06-01-2011, 23:49   #6
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent6-3/8 View Post
The last foot pursuit I was in I was toting my AR and bail out bag. JMO, but the bag is totally impractical. Flops around too much, too hard to get mags out, a "handle" if you end up hands on with a suspect, and I'm sure I could think of a few more if I studied on it. It took me about two steps to realize that a vest or chest rig is the way to go.

I caught the son of a *****, btw.
Luckily I have never been in a foot pursuit while holding a long gun. That is the main reason I tend to leave the shotgun in the car.

A large number of our felony stops/high risk contacts end up in pursuits. I cant re-secure a long gun on my hip and fight.

I am glad it worked out for you.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:35   #7
CGMK

I kicked around the idea of a bag, then ended up just going with a MOLLE plate carrier. Everything except radio and mags fit into a dump pouch. Way easier to go hands on and not have to worry about stray gear.
CGMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21   #8
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
Luckily I have never been in a foot pursuit while holding a long gun. That is the main reason I tend to leave the shotgun in the car.

A large number of our felony stops/high risk contacts end up in pursuits. I cant re-secure a long gun on my hip and fight.

I am glad it worked out for you.
I hear ya. This was an entry that got a little sideways one night so that's how I ended up running with a long gun. Who would think a BG would jump from a 3rd story window and hit the ground running...

Last edited by Agent6-3/8; 06-02-2011 at 13:34..
Agent6-3/8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:53   #9
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

A siginificant consideration on a chest rig that will be rapidly deployed is how it closes. I do not have on (want the BCM one), but the BCM would be my pick because it closes in the front. Something else to think about on the LE side is how you are wearing your radio speaker mic. I have gone to wearing mine with the cable across my button plaquet and the mic itself over my sternum so that it can be easily removed and the cable does not interfere with the rifle sling.

I have a coworker who has a plate carrier that has four AR mags, two handgun mags, five buckhot, five slugs, IFAK, and a small flashlight (Polytac LED) on it. The weight is not bad (considering the weight of the rifle plates), and everything is accessible.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:23   #10
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
I have a coworker who has a plate carrier that has four AR mags, two handgun mags, five buckhot, five slugs, IFAK, and a small flashlight (Polytac LED) on it. The weight is not bad (considering the weight of the rifle plates), and everything is accessible.
I looked at something similar.

Then I realized that I needed something easy to move in, could be quickly donned, and was effective enough for rapid movement or wearing when/if holding in place. Sometimes, KISS can be a street cops' best friend.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Old 06-02-2011, 12:42   #11
ancient_serpent

Time and place.
The bail out bag is a good place (for me at least) to store extra medical gear, batteries, things I need on hand but not immediately at hand.
My chest rig is for mags, tourniquets, GPS, flashlight, the things I may need at once.
There is a bit of overlap between the two setups, but it works for me.
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 20:20   #12
walkin' trails

I just ordered a Tactical Tailor modular chest rig with a three-mag open top and a utility pouch (for first aide) from LA Police Gear. I hope to get it by Monday. I looked at a number of set-ups on the internet and thought the modular design of the Tactical Tailor product looked to be the most adaptable. The Bravo Company model looked good too, but was already out of stock. I'll probably add a couple of more mag pouches, the X-brace adapter, and a hydro pouch. What I ordered was $123.00 plus shipping.
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 20:35   #13
jadams951
Resident JBT

Your reasons are the exact reason I went with a tac vest. I went with the Tactical Tailor hybrid enhanced vest and put level III armor in it along with molle pouches for AR mags, pistol mags, med kit, knife, and radio pouch. I've also got a safariland molle locking system on it where I can take my holster for my duty pistol and put it on. Some of our swat guys love the pistol on the vest. I personally don't like it(pistol on vest) but have the set up for quick react situations where I might be off duty or whatever else and have ability to put on vest, grab pistol and rifle, and have body armor, long gun and backup weapon, along with extra mags, etc.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:41   #14
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

That sucks about the black. They were in stock last week. I have my green for training and was going to get my black for the road. Ahh well.

TT is just down the road from me.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Old 06-03-2011, 18:12   #15
Chico Bill

I have an older Blackhawk rifle/EOD vest and as several have said the reason I went with it is because the chest rigs I've tried seem to get tangled easily and are therefore harder to put on quickly and reliably. If you have time they're great, but most of the incidents necessitating my vest will be short on available time.

The vest works very well and is quick to put on, though I wish it was one of the newer ones with fastex buckles as well as the zipper. I took a mic retainer bungee thing and put it through the drainage hole on the upper pocket. That way I can quickly move my radio mic to the front of the vest and secure it with the bungee and pocket flap. It has worked well in training and is very secure. It is set up for long-term force protection/containment as well as active shooter response. It carries six AR mags, multi-tool, tourniquet, water, mainstay ration, personal IFAK, gloves, flex cuffs, gloves, flashlight, binoculars, and a quick-detachable Recon Mountaineer Corpsman's aid bag on the back. I can think of ways to improve the setup but it works well enough the cost isn't justified right now.

My "bail-out-bag" is actually a drop-leg rig...well, two of 'em...I grab the one specific to the long gun I'll be grabbing. I have one for the AR and one for the shotgun and they're both up front and immediately accessible. The vest is in the trunk.

Aim low boys! They're ridin' Shetland ponies!
--The Kung Pow Buckaroo's

Last edited by Chico Bill; 06-09-2011 at 18:46..
Chico Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:14   #16
Mongosafari
El diablo verde

Have a look at this:
http://glocktalk.com/classifieds/sho...for24400&cat=8

Tactical Armor carriers or use it as a load bearing equipment vest.
I was hoping for a package deal not to part out piece by piece. 5 Carriers and 20+ pouches for $300/shipped.

I use one on duty and they beat the hell out of extra equipment in your hands. Ideal for a couple of extra M4 mags.

My Doctor said to take some of the weight off my belt and save my back for retirement garden work. Distributing the weight has really helped.

Last edited by Mongosafari; 06-05-2011 at 18:51..
Mongosafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 23:09   #17
redneck1861

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams951 View Post
I personally don't like it(pistol on vest) but have the set up for quick react situations where I might be off duty or whatever else and have ability to put on vest, grab pistol and rifle, and have body armor, long gun and backup weapon, along with extra mags, etc.

I dont like a pistol in a tac. vest either. The reason for that is because all of the vests with pistol holsters that I have seen, have been cross-draw set-ups. When you draw from that, you usually sweep anyone that is behind you.
redneck1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 23:16   #18
jnc36rcpd

My department recommends some type of chest rig. A plate carrier is ideal because it offers the protection of rifle plates. That said, the plates add a lot of weight. If you're not used to working or willing to train with the weight and bulk of the plates and added gear, you might look for another option.

Chest rigs and tactical vests are also suggested. DaBigRR offers some sound thoughts on considerations in choosing a vest or chest rig. I'd also add that you need to ensure that you don't conceal your law enforement identity. I've played with one rig that carried my gear, but covered my badge. While my shoulder patches were visible, from the front I looked like a big guy in dark clothing carrying a rifle and a bunch of ammunition.

Chico likes the drop-leg rigs. Those are not a bad idea. If they work for you, that's great, but many have difficulty moving with that weight on the thigh. I just transitioned from the M-26 to the X-26. With the option of carrying my taser on my belt, I may revisit the drop-leg concept. When we started our rifle program, I started out with a S.O. Tech drop-leg.

We also suggest bailout bags as a better option than trying to stuff mags in your pockets. If you go this route, we suggest lighter rather than heavier. Running and shooting while carrying luggage is unlikely to win the day. It's easy to start loading a bag up with gear that you might need. Trust me, I do it, too. The better route to to look for smaller bags and carry them only 2/3 full. Eagle Industries makes a bailout bag based on Paul Howe's recommendations. It has two compartments and not much room in either. I keep one stuffed in my rifle case. Something like that might be worth consideration.

Bailout bags have their place, but there are much better options.

Last edited by jnc36rcpd; 06-06-2011 at 23:17..
jnc36rcpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:03   #19
fuzzyduck

Interesting thread. I am looking into getting a few drop leg set ups. Rifle ammo, Shotgun ammo, and a pistol holster. Any ideas on what is good for each of these applications? Links would be appreciated
Old 06-07-2011, 08:14   #20
redneck1861

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyduck View Post
Interesting thread. I am looking into getting a few drop leg set ups. Rifle ammo, Shotgun ammo, and a pistol holster. Any ideas on what is good for each of these applications? Links would be appreciated

Blackhawk has some really good drop leg rigs. They are modular so you can mount anything that you want on them. They are around $100 each, you want to check with your department first to see if you can wear them.
redneck1861 is offline   Reply With Quote