Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 08:00   #1
eracer
Where's my EBT?
 
eracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 6,722
Sometimes I just shake my head..

I respect the profession.

But sometimes cops do things that make me shake my head in amazement.

I pulled up heading north to a 4-way stop. The guy heading west had the right-of-way, so I came to a complete stop. He cleared the intersection and I rolled, only to get blocked by the westbound dirtbag behind the first guy who decided a rolling stop was needed so he could shave a second off his travel time.

And there was a cop right behind him who did nothing.

Why do we have laws if the most blatant violators aren't stopped by officers who see it happen?

I swear, if I was a cop, I'd WANT to be an unmarked traffic unit. I'd be a revenue generating MACHINE.
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:14   #2
lwt210
Senior Member
 
lwt210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Alabama
Posts: 4,969
No you wouldn't.

What you would do is answer calls for people setting off their own alarms and being too ignorant to remember their cancellation code.

You would also break up arguments by grown adults who married each other and then need someone to come and tell them both to knock it off.

You would also clear debris from the road when folks are too stupid to tie stuff down.

You would also get flak from the brass as to why a line wasn't filled in on yesterday's report. Something that whoever caught the mistake could ink in themselves but yet send an e-mail to your sergeant who pulls you out of the field to go write the word "Wednesday" in a block.

You would rot in court for hours on end just to have someone come out and say "Okay, everythings been taken care of. YOu can go spend the rest of your off day doing what you want to do."

You would also soon realize that all good traffic infractions occur when you are enroute to some stupid call. When you are slow with the calls for service? You can't buy a good traffic infraction.

Regards.
__________________
If someone were to ask me what has been my biggest accomplishment in life, I would lift my head high and speak from my heart with a parent's pride as I said the words "my son."
Andrea Adaire Fischer JNT120706
lwt210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:53   #3
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO
 
Hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas, near the bison.
Posts: 22,974
Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwt210 View Post
No you wouldn't.

What you would do is answer calls for people setting off their own alarms and being too ignorant to remember their cancellation code.

You would also break up arguments by grown adults who married each other and then need someone to come and tell them both to knock it off.

You would also clear debris from the road when folks are too stupid to tie stuff down.

You would also get flak from the brass as to why a line wasn't filled in on yesterday's report. Something that whoever caught the mistake could ink in themselves but yet send an e-mail to your sergeant who pulls you out of the field to go write the word "Wednesday" in a block.

You would rot in court for hours on end just to have someone come out and say "Okay, everythings been taken care of. YOu can go spend the rest of your off day doing what you want to do."

You would also soon realize that all good traffic infractions occur when you are enroute to some stupid call. When you are slow with the calls for service? You can't buy a good traffic infraction.

Regards.
Sounds like a usual day from what I have heard in these parts.
__________________
Arming with truth defeats ignorance. Jesus said, "I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by me." John 14:6
"Opinions expressed in this article are those of the author
and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the Federal
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:56   #4
eracer
Where's my EBT?
 
eracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 6,722
Thanks for ruining my fantasy, Hack.

Last edited by eracer; 06-03-2011 at 08:58..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02   #5
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO
 
Hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas, near the bison.
Posts: 22,974
Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Thanks for ruining my fantasy, Hack.
You're welcome.
__________________
Arming with truth defeats ignorance. Jesus said, "I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by me." John 14:6
"Opinions expressed in this article are those of the author
and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the Federal
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:03   #6
Unistat
Senior Member
 
Unistat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SE Michigan, near Detroit
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
I respect the profession.

But sometimes cops do things that make me shake my head in amazement.

I pulled up heading north to a 4-way stop. The guy heading west had the right-of-way, so I came to a complete stop. He cleared the intersection and I rolled, only to get blocked by the westbound dirtbag behind the first guy who decided a rolling stop was needed so he could shave a second off his travel time.

And there was a cop right behind him who did nothing.

Why do we have laws if the most blatant violators aren't stopped by officers who see it happen?

I swear, if I was a cop, I'd WANT to be an unmarked traffic unit. I'd be a revenue generating MACHINE.
LMAO! It's the flip side of the "Why can't you be out catching real criminals?" people say when they get stopped. Just because you didn't see the cop stop him right then doesn't mean he didn't get stopped further down the road.

Maybe the intersection was a bad location for a stop.
Maybe the officer was waiting for information about the car or driver.
Maybe the officer was waiting for another officer for back up because the car belonged to a known violent person.
Maybe a million other things that you or I can't think of.

Nobody appreciates being Monday Morning Quarterbacked, and cops get way more than their fair share.
__________________
There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:12   #7
257so
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: kansas
Posts: 20
lwt210.... well said
__________________
"Be who you are and say what you feel....Because those that matter....don't mind....And those that mind....don't matter. "
257so is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:06   #8
lwt210
Senior Member
 
lwt210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Alabama
Posts: 4,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Thanks for ruining my fantasy, Hack.
Everytime we get to ruin someone's fantasy, an angel gets her wings.
__________________
If someone were to ask me what has been my biggest accomplishment in life, I would lift my head high and speak from my heart with a parent's pride as I said the words "my son."
Andrea Adaire Fischer JNT120706
lwt210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:19   #9
eracer
Where's my EBT?
 
eracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 6,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unistat View Post
LMAO! It's the flip side of the "Why can't you be out catching real criminals?" people say when they get stopped. Just because you didn't see the cop stop him right then doesn't mean he didn't get stopped further down the road.

Maybe the intersection was a bad location for a stop.
Maybe the officer was waiting for information about the car or driver.
Maybe the officer was waiting for another officer for back up because the car belonged to a known violent person.
Maybe a million other things that you or I can't think of.

Nobody appreciates being Monday Morning Quarterbacked, and cops get way more than their fair share.
Good points, except that the officer turned north.

So I'm probably right, and the officer just didn't feel like handing out a ticket for an offense that he deemed 'insignificant.' If so, then laughter isn't really appropriate - in my opinion.

But thanks for your thoughtful response to my 'monday morning quarterbacking.'

And really, the thread is more about my problem with people who willfully and blatantly thumb their noses at traffic laws, laws which - especially in the case of stop sign violations - help save lives.

There's been too many times I've almost been wrecked by some idiot ignoring a stop sign, so yeah, when I see a cop ignore an obvious violation, I get a little peeved.

Last edited by eracer; 06-03-2011 at 10:24..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:25   #10
Agent6-3/8
Senior Member
 
Agent6-3/8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The ramparts of civilization
Posts: 11,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwt210 View Post
No you wouldn't.

What you would do is answer calls for people setting off their own alarms and being too ignorant to remember their cancellation code.

You would also break up arguments by grown adults who married each other and then need someone to come and tell them both to knock it off.

You would also clear debris from the road when folks are too stupid to tie stuff down.

You would also get flak from the brass as to why a line wasn't filled in on yesterday's report. Something that whoever caught the mistake could ink in themselves but yet send an e-mail to your sergeant who pulls you out of the field to go write the word "Wednesday" in a block.

You would rot in court for hours on end just to have someone come out and say "Okay, everythings been taken care of. YOu can go spend the rest of your off day doing what you want to do."

You would also soon realize that all good traffic infractions occur when you are enroute to some stupid call. When you are slow with the calls for service? You can't buy a good traffic infraction.

Regards.

Danged if that isn't spot on!
__________________
"The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir
Agent6-3/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:34   #11
Unistat
Senior Member
 
Unistat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SE Michigan, near Detroit
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Good points, except that the officer turned north.

So I'm probably right, and the officer just didn't feel like handing out a ticket for an offense that he deemed 'insignificant.' If so, then laughter isn't really appropriate - in my opinion.

But thanks for your thoughtful response to my 'monday morning quarterbacking.'

And really, the thread is more about my problem with people who willfully and blatantly thumb their noses at traffic laws, laws which - especially in the case of stop sign violations - help save lives.

There's been too many times I've almost been wrecked by some idiot ignoring a stop sign, so yeah, when I see a cop ignore an obvious violation, I get a little peeved.
See: "Million other reasons..."

I was pulled over once for running a red light. The officer got about half way into the stop before he got a call on the radio. He handed me back my docs, said "Be more careful" and took off like a bat out of hell. Sometimes there are more important things than traffic enforcement.

Before you say "When he turned North he was driving normal speed" I can only respond to what you post. If you left out details, obviously, I can't account for them. Sort of like how we can't account for details that an officer knows but we are not privy too when we watch them drive down the road.
__________________
There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:34   #12
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Good points, except that the officer turned north.

So I'm probably right, and the officer just didn't feel like handing out a ticket for an offense that he deemed 'insignificant.' If so, then laughter isn't really appropriate - in my opinion.

But thanks for your thoughtful response to my 'monday morning quarterbacking.'

And really, the thread is more about my problem with people who willfully and blatantly thumb their noses at traffic laws, laws which - especially in the case of stop sign violations - help save lives.

There's been too many times I've almost been wrecked by some idiot ignoring a stop sign, so yeah, when I see a cop ignore an obvious violation, I get a little peeved.
Again, the officer may have been en route to a call. Even if it was a non-priority call, LEOs are generally expected to go directly to their calls for service and NOT stop cars on the way. Why? Because this severely annoys dispatchers especially when they have to run two different calls on the cad at the same time on the same officer. Not to mention how much longer the response times would be. It is highly frowned upon unless it's such a grievous violation it simply has to be dealt with then and there.

He may have been looking down at his lap contemplating suck-starting his pistol, looking at his computer, his phone, his radio, or his dashboard and not seen the infraction.

We are not perfect.

We are not capable of dropping everything to take care of an infraction violation just because it offends you. Trust me, I know.

Last edited by Kadetklapp; 06-03-2011 at 10:39..
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:46   #13
DaBigBR
No Infidels!
 
DaBigBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Circling the wagons.
Posts: 15,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Good points, except that the officer turned north.

So I'm probably right, and the officer just didn't feel like handing out a ticket for an offense that he deemed 'insignificant.' If so, then laughter isn't really appropriate - in my opinion.
You make an awful lot of assumptions.

You assume that because you feel the violation is so egregious, that we're going to cite for it. I give more warnings than tickets on the average night, and that includes warnings for sign/signal violations and speeding. It's traffic enforcement - it's all "insignificant" in the big scheme. Necessary, but relatively minor.

You also appear to assume that the officer was too lazy to make the stop. Maybe he was en route to a non-emergency call - many agencies have policies (official and unofficial) about enforcing traffic laws for anything but an ongoing danger to the public (e.g. an obviously drunk driver, somebody going the wrong way on a one way) while responding to a call. They have these policies because A) the person whose call for service they are handling has likely already been waiting and B) it can be a way for an officer to dodge the call. Ultimately, if nobody pulls a single car over, there are fewer complaints than people left waiting an hour to report a burglary.

Maybe the officer was on his way home after pulling a double. Maybe he was on his way to court. Maybe he was heading out of town for training. Maybe he was on his way to dinner. Maybe you're right, maybe he was just too lazy to make the stop.

Maybe that department is hiring.
__________________
"Logic is rarely the engine that propels a police department forward."

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:10   #14
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus
 
Mayhem like Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,396
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
I respect the profession.

But sometimes cops do things that make me shake my head in amazement.

I pulled up heading north to a 4-way stop. The guy heading west had the right-of-way, so I came to a complete stop. He cleared the intersection and I rolled, only to get blocked by the westbound dirtbag behind the first guy who decided a rolling stop was needed so he could shave a second off his travel time.

And there was a cop right behind him who did nothing.

Why do we have laws if the most blatant violators aren't stopped by officers who see it happen?

I swear, if I was a cop, I'd WANT to be an unmarked traffic unit. I'd be a revenue generating MACHINE.
he was more than likely assigned to something else that took priority over the minor traffic violation..
__________________
How do you establish intent?
Well when a naked man is chasing a woman down an alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he's not collecting for the red cross...Inspector H. Callahan
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:21   #15
Bpunk360
Senior Member
 
Bpunk360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwt210 View Post
No you wouldn't.

What you would do is answer calls for people setting off their own alarms and being too ignorant to remember their cancellation code.

You would also break up arguments by grown adults who married each other and then need someone to come and tell them both to knock it off.

You would also clear debris from the road when folks are too stupid to tie stuff down.

You would also get flak from the brass as to why a line wasn't filled in on yesterday's report. Something that whoever caught the mistake could ink in themselves but yet send an e-mail to your sergeant who pulls you out of the field to go write the word "Wednesday" in a block.

You would rot in court for hours on end just to have someone come out and say "Okay, everythings been taken care of. YOu can go spend the rest of your off day doing what you want to do."

You would also soon realize that all good traffic infractions occur when you are enroute to some stupid call. When you are slow with the calls for service? You can't buy a good traffic infraction.

Regards.
Spot on...

or it was not a traffic infraction..

in NJ if your at a stop sign and the 1st person in line comes to a complete stop and then goes through the intersection, the second person in line does not have to come to a complete stop as long as they came to a complete stop behind the 1st person, but the 3rd person does.
__________________
G-21, G-17, Walther P22,Colt M-16,
Rock River Arms Tactical CAR-A4

If you showed up to a fair fight....
You have not prepared enough....

Last edited by Bpunk360; 06-03-2011 at 11:21..
Bpunk360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:21   #16
msu_grad_121
BOOSH
 
msu_grad_121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW Burbs
Posts: 2,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
Maybe that department is hiring.
ZING! Love the "put-up-or-shut-up" undertone, and you're right.

No one can say why anyone else did anything, since none of us are that person. The best we can do is say what is possibly and likely.

If they ARE hiring, I'm gonna need some contact info on the department in question
__________________
The name on the left side of your chest represents who you work for. The name on the right side of your chest represents who raised you. Make them both proud.
msu_grad_121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:23   #17
trdvet
Senior Member
 
trdvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Watching You.....
Posts: 2,004
No appointment and no hat. Isn't this what people wanted? Maybe he was out catching "real criminals"?
__________________
Disclaimer: The opinions given DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. By viewing this post you agree to indemnify myself and my employing agency and hold them harmless from all claims and damages.

Last edited by trdvet; 06-03-2011 at 11:24..
trdvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:25   #18
DaBigBR
No Infidels!
 
DaBigBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Circling the wagons.
Posts: 15,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
ZING! Love the "put-up-or-shut-up" undertone, and you're right.

No one can say why anyone else did anything, since none of us are that person. The best we can do is say what is possibly and likely.

If they ARE hiring, I'm gonna need some contact info on the department in question
That's going to be my standard response in these threads now. I've already used it a second time.
__________________
"Logic is rarely the engine that propels a police department forward."

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:25   #19
lwt210
Senior Member
 
lwt210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Alabama
Posts: 4,969
Maybe the cop was surfing the Caturday thread in GNG on his mobile laptop and oblivious to the infraction in question?

But that is the romantic in me coming out again and rearing it's ugly head.
__________________
If someone were to ask me what has been my biggest accomplishment in life, I would lift my head high and speak from my heart with a parent's pride as I said the words "my son."
Andrea Adaire Fischer JNT120706
lwt210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:45   #20
CAcop
Senior Member
 
CAcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 22,119
I rarely pull people over if I am on my way to a call. It has to be a near accident or actual accident for me to do something. I spend most of my day shagging calls for service. If they wanted me to pull over cars they would give us more bodies. That is not happening until two years after this economy recovers. That should happen in fiscal year 2022. Which is also the fiscal year I retire.
__________________
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 17:41.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,099
304 Members
795 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31