Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:35   #1
Filhar

17 or 19 for Wi CC

OK, I'm a revolver guy. Hobby is Cowboy Action Shooting. Wisconsin is getting aConcealed Carry, so I want something bigger than my LCP/laser and my snubby. Went to my favorite gun store and was turned on to a 17 with 3 magazines for $450. Hardly used, can hardly tell it's been shot. LCP will be in a Mikas holster, and snubby will go with me occasionaly. 17 will be truck gun and CC in a crossbreed Supertuck. Held a 19 and it just doesn't feel that much smaller. Am I missing something? is a 17 to big to carry?
Filhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:43   #2
MrVvrroomm

Welcome to Glocktalk

Congrats to Wisconsin for its pending carry law

Look into an rtf2-framed Glock, that way you'll be able to use it as a cheese grater

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:44   #3
MandPdude

I have both. I would prefer the 19 for CC (I'm also in Wisconsin). I have a Galco King Tuk, and it conceals both pistols well, I just like the way the 19 feels.
MandPdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:45   #4
emore

I think you'll find many people here that carry G17s and larger. It depends mainly on your body type and what you're comfy with when it comes to what to carry. I carry a G27 in a Galco paddle holster and have never had any trouble. The options you mention would be a lot less noticeable than my setup. I'd advise you to go with whichever you like the best and can get the best deal on.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:53   #5
GNiner

Lots of people carry 1911's. The G17, while a little thicker than a 1911, is still shorter in the barrel and grip dimensions. The grip length usually determines what will "print". That's why some people choose the G19 over the G17 - the grip length is 1/2 inch shorter. Doesn't sound like much but it can poke through when you bend over or something depending on your clothing options. Your clothing and holster choices determine whether you can make the G17 disappear. Good luck and welcome to the fold Wisconsinites!
GNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:10   #6
ihaveaglock17

i conceal carry my glock 17 with no issues, i am 5'11 about 180 i wear dress pants long sleeve shirt and tie for work, i use a belly band holster or i get a shorts with a string, i clip the gun on the shorts, tighten that string and put on my clothes as per normal, it does not slow down my draw and no1 has busted me as yet.
ihaveaglock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:18   #7
Riflemanz

I'm going to use my G19 with laser for CC.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:34   #8
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

It's an individual thing. You have to weigh of the carryability versus the shootability for yourself. For close quarters protection, the G19 is outstanding and easy for most people to conceal.

Having owned and carried both, in civilian, service and sporting scenarios, it is my experience that the G17's "delta shootability" outweighs the G19's "delta carryability", so I now carry the latter. But it depends on your hands, your eyes, your mind, and your figure.

And congratulations for your soon to be gained freedom.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:52   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I'd definitely go w/ the 19. Get a good holster, a good belt, and you'll have no troubles with it. I carry a 23 and love it.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:32   #10
RRTX11

I purchased a Glock 17 for carry and IDPA competition. After 6 months with the 17, I thoroughly enjoy shooting it and have 12K rounds through it, but I picked up a 19 just for carry purposes. The 17 is concealable, the 19 is more comfortably concealed IMO. I use a IWB Glaco Summer Comfort for both, and a safari OWB for the 17 in IDPA. Although the 17 can reach a little farther with accuracy, if there ever was a need to defend self or family it would most likely be inside of 20 ft, and the 19 is just as effective if not more at that range. Both are great guns.
RRTX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 13:13   #11
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Definitely 19....maybe even consider the 26. Glock 17 is too big in my opinion for concealed carry, especially if you are used to a smaller revolver.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 13:59   #12
Filhar

The higher capacity 17 is for home, car, and CC when I am dressed to conceal it.
Filhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 14:09   #13
SCmasterblaster

I carry a G17 totally concealed, no holster, and I'm 6'0" and 235 lbs.
Old 06-15-2011, 15:54   #14
vafish

G17 was my daily carry gun up until I picked up my g23 a couple of months ago. Still carry the 17 occasionaly.

The 19 will be a little easier to conceal but they both require the same cover garments.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 16:08   #15
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I carry a G17 totally concealed, no holster, and I'm 6'0" and 235 lbs.
I wanna see this. Show me how you pocket-carry you G17 in hammer pants.

6 months ago I was 205lbs, at 5'10. Now I'm 165, while I can carry a g17 IWB and it's not that noticeable, I have to wear a really baggy shirt, or a under-shirt. The grip pokes out a little. I carry at about 8 o'clock (lefty)
Old 06-15-2011, 16:34   #16
Deaf Smith

While I actually prefer the Glock 26, I'd pick the 19 due to it being more compact.

17 will work but the 19 is a real nice size.

Deaf
Old 06-15-2011, 16:47   #17
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I have carried a Glock 17 on and off for the last decade.
A good belt and a good holster are important for carrying one.

I never had a problem with it's size and heft.
However I am currently entertaining the thought of buying a G19.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 16:57   #18
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

For me, my G19 is my "big" gun. I prefer the G26 for CC. Nearly same stopping power, just in a smaller package.

It comes down to personal preference. Unfortunately, unless you have a friend with one you could try out for awhile, you won't really know which one you like more until you try them both.

For CC, I prefer the smaller one when given the choice of two comparable guns. And my shooting is virtually identical with either gun. Wisconsin (like Kentucky) allows open carry, so printing isn't an issue for you.

I'd say go to a gun store with both, and try them both in your holster and a typical piece of clothing and just choose the one you like more. Simply ask: would I be happier with gun A or gun B if I had to wear one home right NOW? And trust your first instinct...it is probably the right choice for YOU.

(p.s. EXCITED as heck about WI cc law....can't wait for it to go into effect)
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:24   #19
dhkaiser

The attached image shows three Glocks on top of one another, A G26 on a G19 on a G34. It shows the difference between the grip sizes which are the main printing issue when CC'ing. The G34 and G17 are the same size Grip.
Attached Thumbnails
Carry Issues - Click for larger version  
dhkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:35   #20
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

I'd opt for the 19 personally. It's whatever fits your hands better, I believe the difference in grip is only half an inch. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote