SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2011, 20:27   #1
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Ambi Safety Right Side non functional?

So I have RIA the ambi safety on the right side does not work. Its extremely lose fitting I don't know how I missed it but just noticed it tonight. I don't mind it not working I just wonder if it will cause issues down the road? I don't want the safety to foul up.

I did find this video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9lcI-5k_hg

I watched it. I then tried following the directions where you push the safety up just a little to discount them. I tried following that and pushing them together things they might have just came a part. Will the right side safety popped off completely. I not really sure how I manged to pop the right side safety off.

If its not that big a deal then I plan to just shoot the gun if it is a big deal how hard is it to switch out to a non ambi safety? According to what I read online there some minor GS work needed?
Thanks guys not trying to be pain with all the questions over the past 2 days. Just for some reason everything seems to be falling a part around here.
Old 06-03-2011, 20:35   #2
drc767
Navy CSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRoderX View Post
So I have RIA the ambi safety on the right side does not work. Its extremely lose fitting I don't know how I missed it but just noticed it tonight. I don't mind it not working I just wonder if it will cause issues down the road? I don't want the safety to foul up.

I did find this video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9lcI-5k_hg

I watched it. I then tried following the directions where you push the safety up just a little to discount them. I tried following that and pushing them together things they might have just came a part. Will the right side safety popped off completely. I not really sure how I manged to pop the right side safety off.

If its not that big a deal then I plan to just shoot the gun if it is a big deal how hard is it to switch out to a non ambi safety? According to what I read online there some minor GS work needed?
Thanks guys not trying to be pain with all the questions over the past 2 days. Just for some reason everything seems to be falling a part around here.
If the left side comes out, take the right grip off and the right side should fall out. I would not use the pistol if the ambi safety is not functioning. The right side fits into the left side and they both support each other. You need to figure out the issue before you fire the pistol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
drc767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 20:51   #3
knedrgr

First off, a loose fitting right side something that should be fix. Not something you can let slide and think it will be OK. How is it loose? When put together, does it move move than the left side? If so, it probably has a loose fitting tongue-and-grove fitting. You can correct that by peening the tongue so it will become thicker, so it will tightly fit into the grove.

And if you want to switch out the TS, a new one will need fitting. You'll need to carefully file off part of the lug for it to engage the sear feet correctly.
COTEFT #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 21:21   #4
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Quote:
Originally Posted by knedrgr View Post
First off, a loose fitting right side something that should be fix. Not something you can let slide and think it will be OK. How is it loose? When put together, does it move move than the left side? If so, it probably has a loose fitting tongue-and-grove fitting. You can correct that by peening the tongue so it will become thicker, so it will tightly fit into the grove.

And if you want to switch out the TS, a new one will need fitting. You'll need to carefully file off part of the lug for it to engage the sear feet correctly.

if you hit the left side safety the right side goes up works fine. If you hit the right side safety the left side does not budge. Now if you put a little pressure on them and hit the right side they both work fine.
Old 06-03-2011, 21:47   #5
knedrgr

Yup, loose fitting tongue and grove.

Take it apart, and peen the tongue by holding it so the tongue is vertical and then peen it a few times with a hammer. No need to pound heavy on it, just a few hits and check the fitting. If needed, repeat the peening.
COTEFT #2

Old 06-03-2011, 22:21   #6
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Quote:
Originally Posted by knedrgr View Post
Yup, loose fitting tongue and grove.

Take it apart, and peen the tongue by holding it so the tongue is vertical and then peen it a few times with a hammer. No need to pound heavy on it, just a few hits and check the fitting. If needed, repeat the peening.
possible I have the opposite I just removed the safety completely and I found the Male and female parts don't mate together. There way to tight here a picture of what I am talking about. my next question would be if they are way to tight do I sand down the male part or stretch the female part. Sorry about the terminology just what I was taught to call joint fittings like this.

1911 Forums
Old 06-04-2011, 05:31   #7
knedrgr

Sand down the maie (aka tongue) side. Make sure you do it evenly on both sides as to not off set the pin, when both sides are together.

Get some diamond files and take only a few swipes on each side. Make sure it goes together snugly to avoid being too loose and then you're SOL.
COTEFT #2

Old 06-04-2011, 05:32   #8
knedrgr

Quote:
possible I have the opposite I just removed the safety completely and I found the Male and female parts don't mate together. There way to tight here a picture of what I am talking about. my next question would be if they are way to tight do I sand down the male part or stretch the female part. Sorry about the terminology just what I was taught to call joint fittings like this.

1911 Forums
That will cause that side to be too large and you'll have trouble of putting it back on the frame pin hole.
COTEFT #2

Old 06-04-2011, 10:09   #9
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Fixed a few swipes with a file and its snug tight both sides work great. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. Hate to admit this but kinda glad this happened. I think I will feel a lot more comfortable now putting in a single sided safety later down the road. I guess I had it built up in my head that its extremely delicate. While you cant be bull in a china shop its not china either.
Old 06-04-2011, 13:16   #10
knedrgr

Cool!!!

It's not china. Just harder to put metal back on than to take off.
COTEFT #2

Old 06-04-2011, 15:07   #11
pistolwrench
Dremel jockey

Lots of 'fail' in this thread!

Old 06-04-2011, 17:01   #12
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolwrench View Post
Lots of 'fail' in this thread!

no need to troll everyone has to start some where. I am brand new to the 1911 platform I am learning thought. So I don't see why you needed to make that comment.
Old 06-04-2011, 17:08   #13
pistolwrench
Dremel jockey

Are you 'brand new' to the English language as well?
Old 06-04-2011, 17:28   #14
GeorgiaRedfish

Quote:
no need to troll everyone has to start some where. I am brand new to the 1911 platform I am learning thought. So I don't see why you needed to make that comment.
PW a troll?
Old 06-04-2011, 19:25   #15
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolwrench View Post

Are you 'brand new' to the English language as well?
I've wondered that as well.
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 22:53   #16
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRedfish View Post
PW a troll?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post
I've wondered that as well.

I dont see where my question was that hard to read. I never even seen the PW guy in the 4months I been here. If he couldnt read my question np. Just skip over it no need to be nasty.
Old 06-04-2011, 22:56   #17
GeorgiaRedfish

Quote:
I dont see where my question was that hard to read. I never even seen the PW guy in the 4months I been here. If he couldnt read my question np. Just skip over it no need to be nasty.
Here is PW's website, http://www.rogersprecision.com/
Old 06-04-2011, 23:04   #18
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 23:17   #19
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRedfish View Post
Here is PW's website, http://www.rogersprecision.com/

That's fine he makes great looking guns but saying there is lots of fail in my thread was uncalled for in my humble opinion. Like I said before he could have just skipped over it.
Old 06-04-2011, 23:19   #20
GeorgiaRedfish

Quote:
That's fine he makes great looking guns but saying there is lots of fail in my thread was uncalled for in my humble opinion. Like I said before he could have just skipped over it.
I was just saying he is anything but a troll.