Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:29   #1
ptmccain
Silver Membership

1911s are Unreliable! [Say some, why?]

OK, so I've been hanging out in five or six different gun forums and in every case there is a group of people who claim that the 1911 is "unreliable" and so forth.

Why?

I don't fully understand what they are talking about...and it seems those who say it the most know the very least about 1911s.

Your thoughts?

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:32   #2
JGguns

Hater's
Old 06-04-2011, 09:46   #3
lawdog734

The 1911 is a generic term. Glocks are only made by glock, sig makes sig, Hk makes Hk, and so on. 1911s though are made by hundreds of companies. Some companies don't have the quality control that others have. As you stated those that know less about the gun say the gun is junk, it's usually cause they have only ever owned one and it was from a company with poor QC. I would put my guncrafters no name up against any gun out there as far as dependability and accuracy. But as JGguns said haters going to hate.

Last edited by lawdog734; 06-04-2011 at 09:48..
Old 06-04-2011, 09:47   #4
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
OK, so I've been hanging out in five or six different gun forums and in every case there is a group of people who claim that the 1911 is "unreliable" and so forth.

Why?

I don't fully understand what they are talking about...and it seems those who say it the most know the very least about 1911s.

Your thoughts?
You summed it up yourself. They don't know what they're talking about.

I get a kick out of it, quite frankly. You see a great deal of that in our own General Glocking forum.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:49   #5
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog734 View Post
The 1911 is a generic term. Glocks are only made by glock, sig makes sig, Hk makes Hk, and so on. 1911s though are made by hundreds of companies. Some companies don't have the quality control that others have. As you stated those that know less about the gun say the gun is junk, it's usually cause they have only ever owned one and it was from a company with poor QC. I would put my guncrafters no name up against any gun out there as far as dependability and accuracy. But as JGguns said haters going to hate.
That's a big part of it as well, though I believe general quality has gotten better from most companies as of late.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:52   #6
GJ1981
Pitying Fools

A day off and sick, I guess I can have some
Old 06-04-2011, 09:53   #7
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Taurus lovers!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:17   #8
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Taurus lovers!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:18   #9
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog734 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Taurus lovers!

Right there sums it up pretty will.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:38   #10
BlayGlock

It is just the same inane repeating of the same inane internet misinformation. Like .45 is a one shot stop while 9mm will take 7-8 ect.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:44   #11
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ1981 View Post
A day off and sick, I guess I can have some
Sorry you are sick my friend, I hope you get well quickly
Old 06-04-2011, 10:47   #12
okie
GT Mayor

I've heard people say bad things about 1911's because they won't eat every kind of ammo out there. John designed the 1911 to shoot 230gr hardball, why would you get mad because it won't feed semi wad cutters, that's like getting mad at your gasoline car because you cant run diesel in it
Old 06-04-2011, 10:51   #13
ancient_serpent

I hear alot of bad stuff about Kimber on the internet. The two I have along with the one I bought for my middle brother have been great guns. Picked up a Warrior (for me), a Desert Warrior (for my brother) and a Pro CDP II (for me). Got about 5k through the Warrior and about 2k through the CDP with no problems.
I think as long as you do the proper maintenance on your equipment, you'll be fine.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:02   #14
Jim S.

I always laugh at the generalized statements people make about guns like the 1911.
I've owned many over my life time and have never had one that didn't run reliably.
Sure the older ones that were not meant to shoot wad cutters or big hollow points might have a problem but I look at it as you, the owner needs to be smarter than the gun.
I also believe that most 1911's need to be owned by someone who isn't inept about working on guns and doing some required maintenance or tweaking if needed.
Glocks are for those who just want to put gas in and go.
Nothing wrong with that just that I'm a guy who likes to work on things and change things.
Rarely keep things factory stock.
Just because there are some poor quality guns out there surely doesn't mean that all of them are a problem.
I know better.
I also have become very tolerant and understanding of the 1911 nay sayers.
Buy a Glock and leave the 1911's for those of us who appreciate them.

Last edited by Jim S.; 06-04-2011 at 11:03..
Old 06-04-2011, 11:07   #15
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
......I also have become very tolerant and understanding of the 1911 nay sayers.
Buy a Glock and leave the 1911's for those of us who appreciate them.

Yep,.....but they need to understand, Glocks aren't so Perfect now days.
They jam, they don't feed, FTRTB, & oh yea,.......they blow the eF up!
Old 06-04-2011, 11:09   #16
akapennypincher
Glock-O-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post

Why?

Your thoughts?
Some companies let the End Use be their QC, some Companies Spend all their money on Advertising, not QC. The Writers in the Gun Rags are afraid to say XYZ BRAND is CRAP because of Civil Litigation.

Last edited by akapennypincher; 06-04-2011 at 11:11..
Old 06-04-2011, 11:15   #17
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Back in the 70s my Chief had a Gold Cup - a very tight gun that had not been shot in (broken in) and it caused him problems, so he banned the use of autoloaders in the department and repeated his story to everyone. So that is how some of the hate started.

Also, M1911A1 were developed for ball ammo, and when people started using wadcutters and hollowpoints there were issues, whuch got corrected years later.

And the stories of unreliability continued to grow.

List like the flinchers and folks shooting worn out military surplussed guns gave rise to the myths of inaccuracy.........

The 1970s were not that good in terms M1911s being accepted a lot.......
Old 06-04-2011, 11:15   #18
drc767
Navy CSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by akapennypincher View Post
Some companies let the End Use be their QC, some Companies Spend all their money on Advertising, not QC. The Writers in the Gun Rags are afraid to say XYZ BRAND is CRAP because of Civil Litigation.

Huh???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:48   #19
limbkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc767 View Post
Huh???
Old 06-04-2011, 11:52   #20
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by akapennypincher View Post
A lot of Kimber owners, me included, disagree with you. My Kimber runs fine.

Closed Thread