Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-28-2011, 18:34   #1
GeorgiaRedfish

Carrying Off-Duty

I will hopefully have a job in LE very soon, and I understand the answer to this question will vary department to department, but I just want to know what the GT LEO's departments say.

Does your department have any rules or regulations on you carry off duty? As in must (for legal support, or just dictate regardless) carry a certain gun (duty vs personal vs a list of approved), do they make you carry a certain way, etc. Do your departments have ANY rules regarding your off duty carry? Maybe a noobie question just thought I'd ask. Thanks Guys.

Also I want to hear if your department doesn't at all, so let me know!

Last edited by GeorgiaRedfish; 06-28-2011 at 18:42..
GeorgiaRedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 18:45   #2
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

We must carry concealed from an approved list of makers , cannot be less than a 380/38 special , must qualify quarterly.

Approval is granted by any of the firearms instructors on holsters after proficiency is shown, no Mexican carry or gun clips.

And no you cant OC with your GA permit with our agency, if armed off duty it must be concealed.
Old 06-28-2011, 18:48   #3
GeorgiaRedfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
We must carry concealed from an approved list of makers , cannot be less than a 380/38 special , must qualify quarterly.

Approval is granted by any of the firearms instructors on holsters after proficiency is shown, no Mexican carry or gun clips.

And no you cant OC with your GA permit with our agency, if armed off duty it must be concealed.
I don't OC so that isn't a biggy, but that is exactly the info I wanted Thanks man. If you don't mind me asking what agency is it? If you don't want to share I understand. Either way thanks for the help.
Old 06-28-2011, 18:51   #4
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

www.forsythsheriff.org

Last edited by Mayhem like Me; 06-28-2011 at 18:51..
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 18:54   #5
GeorgiaRedfish

I appreciate it.
Old 06-28-2011, 19:04   #6
golls17
Lifetime Newbie

For us, must be concealed and if its not our issued firearm, we have to qualify on it and submit what the gun/serial number is, holster, and ammo. Must be .380 or higher.
Remember every day that you don't train or workout, a bad guy does.
Formerly gollbladder13
golls17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 19:10   #7
GeorgiaRedfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollbladder13 View Post
For us, must be concealed and if its not our issued firearm, we have to qualify on it and submit what the gun/serial number is, holster, and ammo. Must be .380 or higher.
Do they not care about the make or model as long as it is larger caliber than .380?

Swatbwana, is the list of approved guns extensive or short?

Last edited by GeorgiaRedfish; 06-28-2011 at 19:11..
GeorgiaRedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 19:21   #8
collim1
Shower Time!

By directives we are required to carry 24/7, but it is not enforced and I would bet less than 50% ever carry off-duty, and less than 25% carry 24/7. Most carry a LCP or other mouse gun, but the baby glock is also popular.

I can carry my issued duty gun off-duty, which is a .40 Sig P226. I only carry the P226 in cold weather though as it is a huge gun. I can also buy and carry my own off-duty gun or on-duty BUG.

Policy is pretty vague as to what we can carry. Only states that it must be of "reputable manufacture" and .380/.38spl minimum caliber, with 9mm, .357mag, .40, 10mm, and .45ACP being allowed. Carry ammo is preferred to be Gold Dot, and they issue us 50rds per gun of Gold Dot in .38, 9mm, and .40. Any other calibers and you must provide your own ammo. Ultimately it is up the chief's discretion, as he has to approve all non-issued weapons.

I carry the P226 on duty with a 442 as a BUG.

I carry a P239 9mm OWB off-duty with a spare magazine. Sometimes I carry just the 442 if wearing dress clothes off-duty.

I carry 24/7 period.

If you are going to do this job PLEASE carry your gun. Spend the money up front and buy a good carry belt, holster, badge and ID wallet, and spare mag pouch. And by "gun" I mean a real freakin weapon, not a mouse gun.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 19:37   #9
phred119

All off duty carry must be concealed. We can carry our issued weapon, or another weapon, as long as we qualify with it and get it signed off on by supervision. No real restrictions on caliber or brand.
phred119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 19:46   #10
GeorgiaRedfish

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-28-2011, 22:02   #11
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Further information. Allowed to CCW on credentials, make; model; caliber not considered; nor do we qualify with it. The BOP seems to maintain a hands off policy, which also means that any use of it while off duty subjects the persons concerned to being on his own. We are not required to carry off duty, as we are not in an official duty status of any sort administratively. In other words we could get hung up in a trick bag if not careful. This means for me, I have a lawyer group on retainer.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.

Last edited by Hack; 06-28-2011 at 22:13..
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 22:54   #12
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Off duty carry permitted, but not required. There are three "ways" an off duty officer can carry:

1) State Statute (a certified peace officer may carry anywhere within the state at any time).
2) Federal Statute (HR218...this is also what covers our reserves in-state since they are not allowed to carry off duty by state statute)
3) Permit

If you are carrying under the department's authority (e.g. anything but a permit), you must be qualified on the gun you're carrying. If you're carrying on a permit only (which nobody actually does), we don't care.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:12   #13
Chowser

policy is pretty much like collim1s.
must be 9mm,.40,.45,.357 semi-auto only. no single action only (aka 1911 cocked and locked, must be da/sa,dao or some type of striker fired weapon.)

must qualify with it annually, and must be concealed in a holster that covers the trigger. ammo is supplied.

we issue the 31, so most guys carry the compact or subcompact for it.

There really is no excuse for our guys to not have a weapon off-duty. We're allowed to purchase a gun on our uniform allowance and a Glock at LE price is cheap enough where they still have enough of their allowance to purchase a decent holster for it.

After an off duty incident where I ended up arresting a guy with a knife (only to find that I left my gun at home because all I was doing was running up to the store), I carry when I leave my house. Even if it is just to walk the dog.

oh, right now I am carrying the Glock 33. It's usually in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster if I dress for it. I have two holsters on the way to try some OWB carry (I use a Galco Ultra Deep Cover for IWB). My Kahr CM9 (if it ever gets here) will become my primary pocket carry gun.

Last edited by Chowser; 06-29-2011 at 01:14..
Chowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:26   #14
3Speedyfish3

We are allowed to carry concealed off-duty if the gun is greater than .380 ACP and less than .45 ACP, but excluding .44 Magnum. Model 29's and X-frames need not apply.

We qualify yearly, but must shoot the same State Certification course as we do with our P226's. Since Florida doesn't train gunfighters anymore , the LEO course is down to 15 yds maximum from the 25 yds we used to shoot. I guess that helps some people qualify with their LCP's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
3Speedyfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:52   #15
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRedfish View Post
Do they not care about the make or model as long as it is larger caliber than .380?

Swatbwana, is the list of approved guns extensive or short?
It is extensive, basically the firearms staff reviews the weapon and approves it, Even the lowly 380 kel tecs and rugers have been approved.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36   #16
GeorgiaRedfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
It is extensive, basically the firearms staff reviews the weapon and approves it, Even the lowly 380 kel tecs and rugers have been approved.
Cool

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:06   #17
Agent6-3/8

My previous department gave us lots of latitude in what we could carry. Pretty much anything .380 and larger that we could qualify with. Any weapons to be carried off duty were supposed to be checked and approved by the firearms section. As I recall there was something in the policy about having to carry concealed.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10   #18
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Speedyfish3 View Post
We qualify yearly, but must shoot the same State Certification course as we do with our P226's. Since Florida doesn't train gunfighters anymore , the LEO course is down to 15 yds maximum from the 25 yds we used to shoot. I guess that helps some people qualify with their LCP's.
For bugs and off duty I understand shooting at 15 yards, but with duty guns it makes no sense. The farthest we shoot in WV is 25 yards. My grandfather said back when he started they shot all the way back to 50 yards. That was back in the day of .38's and cartridge loops on your gun belt, though. My how things have changed, and not for the better I might add...
Old 06-29-2011, 09:45   #19
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowser View Post
After an off duty incident where I ended up arresting a guy with a knife (only to find that I left my gun at home because all I was doing was running up to the store), I carry when I leave my house. Even if it is just to walk the dog.
I even carry when I run now...642 for in a Smart Carry. Can't believe that I had never tried it before.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:18   #20
k9medic

No less than a .380 for us. Has to be concealed, and we must also carry handcuffs.

Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote