Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:39   #1
JoshC

new guy with a couple questions.

been signed up for a few days now but this is my first thread/post. i kept doin google searches and this site was one that ALWAYS popped up and a member from another forum im apart of said this is the best around.

i have a springfield 1911 champion, have had it for less than a week but am very happy with it. have two questions as of now...

only thing i dont like is there is a little slack in the trigger, i found a trigger(link below) that i think i can adjust out the slack with, is this a good company/trigger and will this do what i want?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=746161

ive also been looking at the wilson 8 round combat magazines(link below) cause ive heard the factory magazines arent the best, will the mags work fine in my 1911, reason i ask is cause my 1911 has a ring at the base of the handle and i dont want to buy a magazine that will interfere and not work. the pic of the magazines leads me to think itll work just fine.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=644241

sorry if my questions seem a lil dumb or newbish but im new to the handgun world, have had a few guns and been around them a long time but just never owned a handgun, let alone mod one lol
JoshC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 21:19   #2
JoshC

bump bump
Old 06-07-2011, 21:29   #3
knedrgr

Yes, the STI trigger is good quality stuff. Those tabs on the front should help to take up the pre-travel slack on your gun.

Yes, those Wilson mags are great. Given your description, sounds like your gun has a magwell installed on the gun. This is not a stock item on the SA Champion. So any mag that has the extended base pad is a plus to help seat the mag, when inserting a mag. The stock mags are actually pretty good quality.

Given the above, it leaves me to believe you might have bought a used gun that someone else installed a magwell on. Do you know the history of the gun? If not, get it to a local, reputable, smith and have it check out.

BTW, changing out a trigger is harder than one thinks...it can impact safety functions of the rest of the ignition system...it's like a domino affect.
knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 21:32   #4
Mr. Gekko

Give it some time, plenty of guys here (one of them posted before me) can help you with the trigger questions.

For mag's, Wilson should be fine. I have had good results with them and Tripp/McCormick as well. Never used a Brown mag, but heard they are good as well.

Last edited by Mr. Gekko; 06-07-2011 at 21:40..
Mr. Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 21:48   #5
JoshC

the gun was brand new, never been fired. heres a pic of it.

1911 Forums

what all is involved in changing out the trigger? im pretty mechanical but if it is a huge pain ill just deal with what i have for now lol

ill probably be picking up a few mags for it this weekend and a holster.
Old 06-07-2011, 21:57   #6
Mr. Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
what all is involved in changing out the trigger? im pretty mechanical but if it is a huge pain ill just deal with what i have for now lol
You are going to have to strip the gun down. It is not hard to do, but I am not the person to listen to regarding fitting a trigger. Quack and/or knedrgr will be more help than I for the trigger work.

Last edited by Mr. Gekko; 06-07-2011 at 21:58..
Mr. Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 22:00   #7
JoshC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gekko View Post
You are going to have to strip the gun down. It is not hard to do, but I am not the person to listen to regarding fitting a trigger. Quack and/or knedrgr will be more help than I for the trigger work.
farthest ive gotten on pulling it apart is just a field strip to clean it lol
Old 06-08-2011, 00:10   #8
spookshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
ive also been looking at the wilson 8 round combat magazines(link below) cause ive heard the factory magazines arent the best, will the mags work fine in my 1911, reason i ask is cause my 1911 has a ring at the base of the handle and i dont want to buy a magazine that will interfere and not work. the pic of the magazines leads me to think itll work just fine.

Is this the "ring" you are referring to?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...SPRING_HOUSING
spookshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:41   #9
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
BTW: There are a lot of different triggers out there. Find what style you want and it'll be easier to pick. Short, Medium, Long, 3-Hole, solid, etc. etc.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:48   #10
Fedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei1 View Post
BTW: There are a lot of different triggers out there. Find what style you want and it'll be easier to pick. Short, Medium, Long, 3-Hole, solid, etc. etc.
Dont forget flat !!
Fedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:55   #11
JoshC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookshack View Post
Is this the "ring" you are referring to?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...SPRING_HOUSING
thats it yes, didnt know the technical name for it lol. i dont see it interfering with and mag but i would hate ordering and then sending them back cause they didnt work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei1 View Post
i think my gun has a short trigger stock but TBO im not 100% on that. the one i posted seems the most appealing to me or maybe the short version of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor View Post
Dont forget flat !!
i think id have to see it in person before buying a flat trigger, ive seen some pics on here and it looks a lil weird to me.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:11   #12
knedrgr

ah yes, it's a GI Champion. And that's a GI lanyard loop that's on the arched mainspring housing (aka MSH). There's also a flat MSH available. So you might see if someone has a 1911 w/o that arch and see if it helps you. Reason I said this is because I thought the arched MSH was fine, until I added a flat MSH, and it really helped me to get on target way better. But your grip might be different. Just giving you something to think about.

As far as the trigger goes, it's not really a PITA to do, just need to know what to do and what to look out for, so your gun will be safe. Like I said, the STI stuff is pretty nice and they should be within spec. So you shouldn't have much trouble with the fitting.

And yes, that's a short GI still trigger, so you'll need to see what you'll like, in terms of the length of the trigger shoe (long, medium, short, or flat). And then there are solid, 3 holes and also hollow trigger shoes too. The former is more functional, and latter is more aesthetics. Find what will work for you functionally, and then aesthetic. But that's just my POV.

BTW, setting too much pre-travel or over travel will cause some un-safe operations.
Old 06-08-2011, 20:16   #13
JoshC

i think i might pick up that STI trigger(short). if i dont like it, hey, its only 23 bucks.

i like the arched MSH, its actually one of the things that made me lean towards this gun over the others i was looking at. it feels real nice in my hand and makes it comfy to hold.

there wouldnt happen to be a write up on here on swapping triggers, would there? like i said above, im pretty mechanical. i bet i could figure it out, most of the time i work on things i wing it and figure it out and it all comes together but a little guide to follow wouldnt hurt.
Old 06-08-2011, 21:12   #14
knedrgr

Just follow Hilton Yam's directions for a detail strip. It's a nice write up. You have a series 70, so don't worry about the series 80 part of the directions.

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages...27s-Guide.html

And then install the new trigger and assemble in reverse order.

Things to check:
1) the trigger bow is not too long and will clear the grip safety.
2) the trigger bow is not too long that it will affect the disconnector.
3) set enough pre-travel and over travel so it will have room to reset the hammer and sear.
4) and check for hammer follow to make sure everything is working properly.
Old 06-08-2011, 21:18   #15
JoshC

man, youre awesome lol

i really appreciate all your help