GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 18:50   #1
Hokie1911
><><><><><
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,691
Sadly, my KC may have to go bye-bye.

Recently, my job situation took an unexpected turn for the worse. This may force me to make a change in my shooting as well. I may have to make the jump from .45 back to 9mm. Right now, I shoot maybe 150 rounds of .45 a month, but that is really pushing what I can afford to shoot. As much as I love the KC, to me it is only a tool. If I can't adequately train with it, it doesn't serve as much of a purpose. I have considered getting a .22lr conversion, but I don't think I want to train with that as the bulk of my shooting. Too much of a recoil difference, etc. 9mm would allow me to shoot twice as much (or more or less) and I have full confidence in it as a defensive round for carry.

So talk me off of the ledge, or PM me an offer.
Hokie1911 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 18:54   #2
Rman 585
Chip Maker
 
Rman 585's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 403
Im getting a STI TROJAN 9mm 5"......you reccomended to me the other day....why dont you get one too....
Rman 585 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 18:59   #3
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Keep the EB Hokie. Get a BB pistol. I'm dead serious. I did it a couple of years ago and recently a buddy of mine bought the same gun. It's a Daisy 15X IIRC, I'll find it online and send you a link. It's the same size as my Rock Island 3.5". It weighs less of course, and the trigger is more like my LCP, but it's still practicing with a handgun. I bought it when ammo was hard to find and I didn't want to shoot up my stash, yet I had cut back to 50 rounds a week and had started shooting every other week. It kept my shooting skills honed and was really fun too. You can shoot it in the yard, or if you build a BB trap, you can shoot it in the house. The gun was about $30-35 at Wal-Mart, 25 CO2 cartridges are about $15 and 1000 BB's are $5-6. That's alot of shooting on the cheap.
Here it is. The 15XT.

http://daisy.com/shopping/customer/p...cat=259&page=1

Last edited by glock2740; 06-06-2011 at 19:02..
glock2740 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 18:59   #4
Hokie1911
><><><><><
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman 585 View Post
Im getting a STI TROJAN 9mm 5"......you reccomended to me the other day....why dont you get one too....
I would probably look at a DW Guardian or EMP as a replacement since it will be my EDC. Glad to hear you are going Trojan. It's a great gun.
Hokie1911 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:02   #5
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokieshooterG23 View Post
Recently, my job situation took an unexpected turn for the worse. This may force me to make a change in my shooting as well. I may have to make the jump from .45 back to 9mm. Right now, I shoot maybe 150 rounds of .45 a month, but that is really pushing what I can afford to shoot. As much as I love the KC, to me it is only a tool. If I can't adequately train with it, it doesn't serve as much of a purpose. I have considered getting a .22lr conversion, but I don't think I want to train with that as the bulk of my shooting. Too much of a recoil difference, etc. 9mm would allow me to shoot twice as much (or more or less) and I have full confidence in it as a defensive round for carry.

So talk me off of the ledge, or PM me an offer.
Wow. That sucks, Paul.

Hopefully, you can find a way to keep it.
bac1023 is online now  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:03   #6
Hokie1911
><><><><><
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Wow. That sucks, Paul.

Hopefully, you can find a way to keep it.
Tell me about it, Brian. I may just suck it up for a while and shoot a lot less, but I don't know.
Hokie1911 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:04   #7
Rman 585
Chip Maker
 
Rman 585's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokieshooterG23 View Post
I would probably look at a DW Guardian or EMP as a replacement since it will be my EDC. Glad to hear you are going Trojan. It's a great gun.
Ya Going to get it from dawson......
This will be my 2nd 1911...
I started with the RIA 9mm and i love it....now its time for a better quality pistol...Thanks for telling me to check out STI
Rman 585 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:05   #8
Rman 585
Chip Maker
 
Rman 585's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokieshooterG23 View Post
Tell me about it, Brian. I may just suck it up for a while and shoot a lot less, but I don't know.
What is your job?
Rman 585 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:09   #9
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,978
As you remember I basically went from a KC to a EMP.
My move was based upon the fact of the slide peening issue. The EMP came about
due to a local guy selling one. I DO plan on getting another Kobra Carry after the move to Kansas.

Keep the Ed Brown,.........save up buy a 9mm shooter, work overtime, quit eating out
pack a sack lunch, quit smoking, quit drinking,........KEEP the Ed Brown!
faawrenchbndr is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:11   #10
Hokie1911
><><><><><
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman 585 View Post
Ya Going to get it from dawson......
This will be my 2nd 1911...
I started with the RIA 9mm and i love it....now its time for a better quality pistol...Thanks for telling me to check out STI
You're welcome for the help on the STI. That's my other option I was considering. Picking up a 9mm RIA Tactical for about $450. That would handle the bulk of my rangetime, while working in a box of .45 after 100-150 of 9mm perhaps.

My last job was doing intermodal transportation logistics when I was laid off. Been at home with my kids for about 2 years as a house-husband.

Last edited by Hokie1911; 06-06-2011 at 19:11..
Hokie1911 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:12   #11
Bob469
Senior Member
 
Bob469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 191
IMO, If $60.00 (tops) a month is even close to being out of your price range. The $2400.00 dollar Kobra Carry should defiantly be out of your price range. I kinda see it like the people that buy the ferrari that whine about the $1500.00 oil changes and service. The whole reason why I have 3-4 "cheaper" guns and 3-500 rds on hand of each caliber for when a friend calls to go to the range Im ready for a days worth of fun. Instead of having one beautiful gun I cant shoot or carry ALL the time.

But then on the other hand,

I dont really fully believe in the guns as tools thing simply because when it comes to 1911's theres art and beauty. Yes, I'd say a glock is more of a tool. I also dont believe that you must train constantly to carry. Shooting a gun is like riding a bike. You may go 3 months without shooting, and you may have lost your 2" group but you can still hit the target ( i hope ) which will be enough to stop a threat which that "tool" was made for.

I think it was Samuse who recently posted a little flame about everyone being Zombie crazy and all this nonsense about having to train and carry one platform and this and that... If you have to skip a few months of "training" to afford the KC then you'll be alright when the zombies come, perhaps you wont be making head shots from 25yrds but Im sure within the standard 7yrds you'll be fine...

You could always sell the KC and buy a CBOB/VBOB and have "almost" the same gun as far as your "training" goes... But we all know you didnt buy the KC simply because its a tool, because well their are cheaper tools that do the exact same thing out there. You bought the 2400 dollar KC because its pretty haha
__________________
Dont Tread On Me
Bob469 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:13   #12
Hokie1911
><><><><><
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
As you remember I basically went from a KC to a EMP.
My move was based upon the fact of the slide peening issue. The EMP came about
due to a local guy selling one. I DO plan on getting another Kobra Carry after the move to Kansas.

Keep the Ed Brown,.........save up buy a 9mm shooter, work overtime, quit eating out
pack a sack lunch, quit smoking, quit drinking,........KEEP the Ed Brown!
No job at the moment so OT is out.
I rarely eat out.
I don't smoke.
I rarely drink and sadly, stopped buying microbrews and went to Bud.
Hokie1911 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:15   #13
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,978
Dress Quack up in a mini-skirt and pumps..............

Get me point? Financial issues resolved in a day or two!
faawrenchbndr is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:16   #14
Hokie1911
><><><><><
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob469 View Post
IMO, If $60.00 (tops) a month is even close to being out of your price range. The $2400.00 dollar Kobra Carry should defiantly be out of your price range. I kinda see it like the people that buy the ferrari that whine about the $1500.00 oil changes and service. The whole reason why I have 3-4 "cheaper" guns and 3-500 rds on hand of each caliber for when a friend calls to go to the range Im ready for a days worth of fun. Instead of having one beautiful gun I cant shoot or carry ALL the time.

But then on the other hand,

I dont really fully believe in the guns as tools thing simply because when it comes to 1911's theres art and beauty. Yes, I'd say a glock is more of a tool. I also dont believe that you must train constantly to carry. Shooting a gun is like riding a bike. You may go 3 months without shooting, and you may have lost your 2" group but you can still hit the target ( i hope ) which will be enough to stop a threat which that "tool" was made for.

I think it was Samuse who recently posted a little flame about everyone being Zombie crazy and all this nonsense about having to train and carry one platform and this and that... If you have to skip a few months of "training" to afford the KC then you'll be alright when the zombies come, perhaps you wont be making head shots from 25yrds but Im sure within the standard 7yrds you'll be fine...

You could always sell the KC and buy a CBOB/VBOB and have "almost" the same gun as far as your "training" goes... But we all know you didnt buy the KC simply because its a tool, because well their are cheaper tools that do the exact same thing out there. You bought the 2400 dollar KC because its pretty haha
First of all, you don't know me or know dick about my situation. Secondly, you don't know me or dick about my situation. Thirdly, my initial plan was to pick up the gun then start reloading. My job situation changed in the past month and is preventing the reloading from happening so that has changed the landscape of my shooting. Did I mention you don't know me or dick about my situation? Thanks for your astute observations. It had nothing to do with "pretty", but thanks for chiming in.
Hokie1911 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:17   #15
Mr. Gekko
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,696
Sorry to hear Hokie. I'd stick with the KC, you waited too long for it to give it up so soon, but I get your point.


I have a family friend who couldn't afford to shoot as much as he would like so he got in contact with my father since he reloads. As far as I know, he saves as much brass as he can and buys what he needs in bulk to save some cash. Once or twice a month, he goes to my parents house and he and my dad reload so he can shoot on the weekends. I'll try to email him to see if it allows him to shoot more than he did before for the same cost.

Of course, you would have to have access to a reloader and the dies needed...
Mr. Gekko is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:17   #16
Hokie1911
><><><><><
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Dress Quack up in a mini-skirt and pumps..............

Get me point? Financial issues resolved in a day or two!
Greg, you may be onto something here...
Hokie1911 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:18   #17
craig19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,854
Damn, that sucks, you just got it. I hope you find something soon.
__________________
G22 GEN 4, G19 GEN 4
craig19 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:18   #18
drc767
Navy CSAR
 
drc767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokieshooterG23 View Post
No job at the moment so OT is out.
I rarely eat out.
I don't smoke.
I rarely drink and sadly, stopped buying microbrews and went to Bud.
I "eat out" as often as possible, but don't go to restaurants often.
I don't smoke.
I drink as much as I can to quiet the voices in my head.



Paul.....chances are you are going to take a several hundred dollar beating on a trade value for a used Brown as opposed to what you have in to it. Take that beating and get a G19 or something. When things turn around, you still have a nice 1911.
__________________
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."--Thomas Jefferson www.drc1911.com www.1911addicts.com

Last edited by drc767; 06-06-2011 at 19:22..
drc767 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:21   #19
Hokie1911
><><><><><
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gekko View Post
Sorry to hear Hokie. I'd stick with the KC, you waited too long for it to give it up so soon, but I get your point.


I have a family friend who couldn't afford to shoot as much as he would like so he got in contact with my father since he reloads. As far as I know, he saves as much brass as he can and buys what he needs in bulk to save some cash. Once or twice a month, he goes to my parents house and he and my dad reload so he can shoot on the weekends. I'll try to email him to see if it allows him to shoot more than he did before for the same cost.

Of course, you would have to have access to a reloader and the dies needed...
That may be an option down the road. RSX lives about an hour away and has a 650 and offered to load for me, but it would be a while before I break even of the upfront for brass, etc, etc, etc...

Thinking the RIA 9mm may be a better short term option, or I could sink that $450 into 1000 rounds of say Blazer Brass, shoot through that, and have Bobby reload for me and keep reusing that brass and so on.
Hokie1911 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:21   #20
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokieshooterG23 View Post
You're welcome for the help on the STI. That's my other option I was considering. Picking up a 9mm RIA Tactical for about $450. That would handle the bulk of my rangetime, while working in a box of .45 after 100-150 of 9mm perhaps.

My last job was doing intermodal transportation logistics when I was laid off. Been at home with my kids for about 2 years as a house-husband.
My GF does that for JB Hunt. I know that they have let some people work from home. Try seeing if you could do some work from your house for one of the many companies out there. Maybe waive insurance benefits and maybe some other benifits, to become less of an overhead burden on the company, while still producing for them the same as if you were in the office. I still say to go the BB gun route and just shoot your EB less until things turn around for you.

Last edited by glock2740; 06-06-2011 at 19:22..
glock2740 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:22   #21
GioaJack
Conifer Jack
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Conifer, CO
Posts: 10,025
Blog Entries: 3
If I was faced with a similar circumstance I would seriously consider keeping the KC for what ever purpose you deem fit, finding a good, used inexpensive .22 auto, (ever a revolver but a good one would probably cost more) and using that for your shooting fix and practice.

A thousand rounds a month of .22 is infinitely more valuable training than 100 to 150 a month of .45 or 9mm.

I understand that many folks will disagree, that has simply been my experience after having done a bit of shooting.

I wish you all the best with your current situation.

Jack
__________________
Life is a little bit tragic but mostly magic... Learn to deal with the tragic and CHERISH THE MAGIC

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:22   #22
GJ1981
Pitying Fools
 
GJ1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,394
I'll be the bad guy here but I'd pick door number 2, sell it if you must. I'd pick up a 9mm of your choice AND a reloading setup/components. You should be able to sell the KC for enough to cover both.

Assuming your 150 rounds of 45 ammo a month is factory, you should be able to load 500 rounds of 9mm for a comparable price once setup. I figured my loads right around $115 for 1000 9mm's, but I get my brass for free too.
__________________
I see safequeens, they're EVERYWHERE.
GJ1981 is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:25   #23
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester
 
HotRoderX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,297
I know you said you didn't wanna do a 22 conversion but I would look at one. I would train with both 22 and 45. Shot 100-200 rounds of 22lr then follow it up with 25-50 rounds of 45cal at the end. That way you can keep training with your 1911. Its not perfect solution but it stops you from having to break in and learn a new gun. Think about the money you would spend on break in ammo + testing JHP and all that .
__________________
Glock needs to grow up and stop playing games with its customers.
Glock Finally Recalls RSA on the Gen4 About Time.
HotRoderX is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:27   #24
woodrowNC
Senior Member
 
woodrowNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: nc, in the woods part
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob469 View Post
IMO, If $60.00 (tops) a month is even close to being out of your price range. The $2400.00 dollar Kobra Carry should defiantly be out of your price range. I kinda see it like the people that buy the ferrari that whine about the $1500.00 oil changes and service. The whole reason why I have 3-4 "cheaper" guns and 3-500 rds on hand of each caliber for when a friend calls to go to the range Im ready for a days worth of fun. Instead of having one beautiful gun I cant shoot or carry ALL the time.

But then on the other hand,

I dont really fully believe in the guns as tools thing simply because when it comes to 1911's theres art and beauty. Yes, I'd say a glock is more of a tool. I also dont believe that you must train constantly to carry. Shooting a gun is like riding a bike. You may go 3 months without shooting, and you may have lost your 2" group but you can still hit the target ( i hope ) which will be enough to stop a threat which that "tool" was made for.

I think it was Samuse who recently posted a little flame about everyone being Zombie crazy and all this nonsense about having to train and carry one platform and this and that... If you have to skip a few months of "training" to afford the KC then you'll be alright when the zombies come, perhaps you wont be making head shots from 25yrds but Im sure within the standard 7yrds you'll be fine...

You could always sell the KC and buy a CBOB/VBOB and have "almost" the same gun as far as your "training" goes... But we all know you didnt buy the KC simply because its a tool, because well their are cheaper tools that do the exact same thing out there. You bought the 2400 dollar KC because its pretty haha

that was pretty much uncalled for.
woodrowNC is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 19:29   #25
drc767
Navy CSAR
 
drc767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrowNC View Post
that was pretty much uncalled for.
Agreed....
__________________
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."--Thomas Jefferson www.drc1911.com www.1911addicts.com
drc767 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,291
352 Members
939 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42