Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 18:50   #1
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Sadly, my KC may have to go bye-bye.

Recently, my job situation took an unexpected turn for the worse. This may force me to make a change in my shooting as well. I may have to make the jump from .45 back to 9mm. Right now, I shoot maybe 150 rounds of .45 a month, but that is really pushing what I can afford to shoot. As much as I love the KC, to me it is only a tool. If I can't adequately train with it, it doesn't serve as much of a purpose. I have considered getting a .22lr conversion, but I don't think I want to train with that as the bulk of my shooting. Too much of a recoil difference, etc. 9mm would allow me to shoot twice as much (or more or less) and I have full confidence in it as a defensive round for carry.

So talk me off of the ledge, or PM me an offer.
Old 06-06-2011, 18:54   #2
Rman 585
Chip Maker

Im getting a STI TROJAN 9mm 5"......you reccomended to me the other day....why dont you get one too....
Old 06-06-2011, 18:59   #3
glock2740
Gun lover.

Keep the EB Hokie. Get a BB pistol. I'm dead serious. I did it a couple of years ago and recently a buddy of mine bought the same gun. It's a Daisy 15X IIRC, I'll find it online and send you a link. It's the same size as my Rock Island 3.5". It weighs less of course, and the trigger is more like my LCP, but it's still practicing with a handgun. I bought it when ammo was hard to find and I didn't want to shoot up my stash, yet I had cut back to 50 rounds a week and had started shooting every other week. It kept my shooting skills honed and was really fun too. You can shoot it in the yard, or if you build a BB trap, you can shoot it in the house. The gun was about $30-35 at Wal-Mart, 25 CO2 cartridges are about $15 and 1000 BB's are $5-6. That's alot of shooting on the cheap.
Here it is. The 15XT.

http://daisy.com/shopping/customer/p...cat=259&page=1

Last edited by glock2740; 06-06-2011 at 19:02..
Old 06-06-2011, 18:59   #4
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman 585 View Post
Im getting a STI TROJAN 9mm 5"......you reccomended to me the other day....why dont you get one too....
I would probably look at a DW Guardian or EMP as a replacement since it will be my EDC. Glad to hear you are going Trojan. It's a great gun.
Old 06-06-2011, 19:02   #5
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokieshooterG23 View Post
Recently, my job situation took an unexpected turn for the worse. This may force me to make a change in my shooting as well. I may have to make the jump from .45 back to 9mm. Right now, I shoot maybe 150 rounds of .45 a month, but that is really pushing what I can afford to shoot. As much as I love the KC, to me it is only a tool. If I can't adequately train with it, it doesn't serve as much of a purpose. I have considered getting a .22lr conversion, but I don't think I want to train with that as the bulk of my shooting. Too much of a recoil difference, etc. 9mm would allow me to shoot twice as much (or more or less) and I have full confidence in it as a defensive round for carry.

So talk me off of the ledge, or PM me an offer.
Wow. That sucks, Paul.

Hopefully, you can find a way to keep it.
Old 06-06-2011, 19:03   #6
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Wow. That sucks, Paul.

Hopefully, you can find a way to keep it.
Tell me about it, Brian. I may just suck it up for a while and shoot a lot less, but I don't know.
Old 06-06-2011, 19:04   #7
Rman 585
Chip Maker

Quote:
I would probably look at a DW Guardian or EMP as a replacement since it will be my EDC. Glad to hear you are going Trojan. It's a great gun.
Ya Going to get it from dawson......
This will be my 2nd 1911...
I started with the RIA 9mm and i love it....now its time for a better quality pistol...Thanks for telling me to check out STI
Old 06-06-2011, 19:05   #8
Rman 585
Chip Maker

Quote:
Tell me about it, Brian. I may just suck it up for a while and shoot a lot less, but I don't know.
What is your job?
Old 06-06-2011, 19:09   #9
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

As you remember I basically went from a KC to a EMP.
My move was based upon the fact of the slide peening issue. The EMP came about
due to a local guy selling one. I DO plan on getting another Kobra Carry after the move to Kansas.

Keep the Ed Brown,.........save up buy a 9mm shooter, work overtime, quit eating out
pack a sack lunch, quit smoking, quit drinking,........KEEP the Ed Brown!
Old 06-06-2011, 19:11   #10
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman 585 View Post
Ya Going to get it from dawson......
This will be my 2nd 1911...
I started with the RIA 9mm and i love it....now its time for a better quality pistol...Thanks for telling me to check out STI
You're welcome for the help on the STI. That's my other option I was considering. Picking up a 9mm RIA Tactical for about $450. That would handle the bulk of my rangetime, while working in a box of .45 after 100-150 of 9mm perhaps.

My last job was doing intermodal transportation logistics when I was laid off. Been at home with my kids for about 2 years as a house-husband.

Last edited by Hokie1911; 06-06-2011 at 19:11..
Old 06-06-2011, 19:12   #11
Bob469

IMO, If $60.00 (tops) a month is even close to being out of your price range. The $2400.00 dollar Kobra Carry should defiantly be out of your price range. I kinda see it like the people that buy the ferrari that whine about the $1500.00 oil changes and service. The whole reason why I have 3-4 "cheaper" guns and 3-500 rds on hand of each caliber for when a friend calls to go to the range Im ready for a days worth of fun. Instead of having one beautiful gun I cant shoot or carry ALL the time.

But then on the other hand,

I dont really fully believe in the guns as tools thing simply because when it comes to 1911's theres art and beauty. Yes, I'd say a glock is more of a tool. I also dont believe that you must train constantly to carry. Shooting a gun is like riding a bike. You may go 3 months without shooting, and you may have lost your 2" group but you can still hit the target ( i hope ) which will be enough to stop a threat which that "tool" was made for.

I think it was Samuse who recently posted a little flame about everyone being Zombie crazy and all this nonsense about having to train and carry one platform and this and that... If you have to skip a few months of "training" to afford the KC then you'll be alright when the zombies come, perhaps you wont be making head shots from 25yrds but Im sure within the standard 7yrds you'll be fine...

You could always sell the KC and buy a CBOB/VBOB and have "almost" the same gun as far as your "training" goes... But we all know you didnt buy the KC simply because its a tool, because well their are cheaper tools that do the exact same thing out there. You bought the 2400 dollar KC because its pretty haha
Old 06-06-2011, 19:13   #12
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
As you remember I basically went from a KC to a EMP.
My move was based upon the fact of the slide peening issue. The EMP came about
due to a local guy selling one. I DO plan on getting another Kobra Carry after the move to Kansas.

Keep the Ed Brown,.........save up buy a 9mm shooter, work overtime, quit eating out
pack a sack lunch, quit smoking, quit drinking,........KEEP the Ed Brown!
No job at the moment so OT is out.
I rarely eat out.
I don't smoke.
I rarely drink and sadly, stopped buying microbrews and went to Bud.
Old 06-06-2011, 19:15   #13
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Dress Quack up in a mini-skirt and pumps..............

Get me point? Financial issues resolved in a day or two!
Old 06-06-2011, 19:16   #14
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob469 View Post
IMO, If $60.00 (tops) a month is even close to being out of your price range. The $2400.00 dollar Kobra Carry should defiantly be out of your price range. I kinda see it like the people that buy the ferrari that whine about the $1500.00 oil changes and service. The whole reason why I have 3-4 "cheaper" guns and 3-500 rds on hand of each caliber for when a friend calls to go to the range Im ready for a days worth of fun. Instead of having one beautiful gun I cant shoot or carry ALL the time.

I dont really fully believe in the guns as tools thing simply because when it comes to 1911's theres art and beauty. Yes, I'd say a glock is more of a tool. I also dont believe that you must train constantly to carry. Shooting a gun is like riding a bike. You may go 3 months without shooting, and you may have lost your 2" group but you can still hit the target ( i hope ) which will be enough to stop a threat which that "tool" was made for.

I think it was Samuse who recently posted a little flame about everyone being Zombie crazy and all this nonsense about having to train and carry one platform and this and that... If you have to skip a few months of "training" to afford the KC then you'll be alright when the zombies come, perhaps you wont be making head shots from 25yrds but Im sure within the standard 7yrds you'll be fine...

You could always sell the KC and buy a CBOB/VBOB and have "almost" the same gun as far as your "training" goes... But we all know you didnt buy the KC simply because its a tool, because well their are cheaper tools that do the exact same thing out there. You bought the 2400 dollar KC because its pretty haha
First of all, you don't know me or know dick about my situation. Secondly, you don't know me or dick about my situation. Thirdly, my initial plan was to pick up the gun then start reloading. My job situation changed in the past month and is preventing the reloading from happening so that has changed the landscape of my shooting. Did I mention you don't know me or dick about my situation? Thanks for your astute observations. It had nothing to do with "pretty", but thanks for chiming in.
Old 06-06-2011, 19:17   #15
Mr. Gekko

Sorry to hear Hokie. I'd stick with the KC, you waited too long for it to give it up so soon, but I get your point.

I have a family friend who couldn't afford to shoot as much as he would like so he got in contact with my father since he reloads. As far as I know, he saves as much brass as he can and buys what he needs in bulk to save some cash. Once or twice a month, he goes to my parents house and he and my dad reload so he can shoot on the weekends. I'll try to email him to see if it allows him to shoot more than he did before for the same cost.

Of course, you would have to have access to a reloader and the dies needed...
Old 06-06-2011, 19:17   #16
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Dress Quack up in a mini-skirt and pumps..............

Get me point? Financial issues resolved in a day or two!
Greg, you may be onto something here...
Old 06-06-2011, 19:18   #17
craig19

Damn, that sucks, you just got it. I hope you find something soon.
Old 06-06-2011, 19:18   #18
drc767
Navy CSAR

Quote:
No job at the moment so OT is out.
I rarely eat out.
I don't smoke.
I rarely drink and sadly, stopped buying microbrews and went to Bud.
I "eat out" as often as possible, but don't go to restaurants often.
I don't smoke.
I drink as much as I can to quiet the voices in my head.

Paul.....chances are you are going to take a several hundred dollar beating on a trade value for a used Brown as opposed to what you have in to it. Take that beating and get a G19 or something. When things turn around, you still have a nice 1911.

Last edited by drc767; 06-06-2011 at 19:22..
Old 06-06-2011, 19:21   #19
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gekko View Post
Sorry to hear Hokie. I'd stick with the KC, you waited too long for it to give it up so soon, but I get your point.

I have a family friend who couldn't afford to shoot as much as he would like so he got in contact with my father since he reloads. As far as I know, he saves as much brass as he can and buys what he needs in bulk to save some cash. Once or twice a month, he goes to my parents house and he and my dad reload so he can shoot on the weekends. I'll try to email him to see if it allows him to shoot more than he did before for the same cost.

Of course, you would have to have access to a reloader and the dies needed...
That may be an option down the road. RSX lives about an hour away and has a 650 and offered to load for me, but it would be a while before I break even of the upfront for brass, etc, etc, etc...

Thinking the RIA 9mm may be a better short term option, or I could sink that $450 into 1000 rounds of say Blazer Brass, shoot through that, and have Bobby reload for me and keep reusing that brass and so on.
Old 06-06-2011, 19:21   #20
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
You're welcome for the help on the STI. That's my other option I was considering. Picking up a 9mm RIA Tactical for about $450. That would handle the bulk of my rangetime, while working in a box of .45 after 100-150 of 9mm perhaps.

My last job was doing intermodal transportation logistics when I was laid off. Been at home with my kids for about 2 years as a house-husband.
My GF does that for JB Hunt. I know that they have let some people work from home. Try seeing if you could do some work from your house for one of the many companies out there. Maybe waive insurance benefits and maybe some other benifits, to become less of an overhead burden on the company, while still producing for them the same as if you were in the office. I still say to go the BB gun route and just shoot your EB less until things turn around for you.

Last edited by glock2740; 06-06-2011 at 19:22..
Old 06-06-2011, 19:22   #21
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

If I was faced with a similar circumstance I would seriously consider keeping the KC for what ever purpose you deem fit, finding a good, used inexpensive .22 auto, (ever a revolver but a good one would probably cost more) and using that for your shooting fix and practice.

A thousand rounds a month of .22 is infinitely more valuable training than 100 to 150 a month of .45 or 9mm.

I understand that many folks will disagree, that has simply been my experience after having done a bit of shooting.

I wish you all the best with your current situation.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
Old 06-06-2011, 19:22   #22
GJ1981
Pitying Fools

I'll be the bad guy here but I'd pick door number 2, sell it if you must. I'd pick up a 9mm of your choice AND a reloading setup/components. You should be able to sell the KC for enough to cover both.

Assuming your 150 rounds of 45 ammo a month is factory, you should be able to load 500 rounds of 9mm for a comparable price once setup. I figured my loads right around $115 for 1000 9mm's, but I get my brass for free too.
Old 06-06-2011, 19:25   #23
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

I know you said you didn't wanna do a 22 conversion but I would look at one. I would train with both 22 and 45. Shot 100-200 rounds of 22lr then follow it up with 25-50 rounds of 45cal at the end. That way you can keep training with your 1911. Its not perfect solution but it stops you from having to break in and learn a new gun. Think about the money you would spend on break in ammo + testing JHP and all that .
Old 06-06-2011, 19:27   #24
woodrowNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob469 View Post

that was pretty much uncalled for.
Old 06-06-2011, 19:29   #25
drc767
Navy CSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrowNC View Post
that was pretty much uncalled for.
Agreed....