SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-07-2011, 20:18   #1
emt1581
Curious Member

Kidnapping

I just finished watching the movie Taken. IMO it's one of the most intense movies I've ever seen...far fetched at MANY points...but INTENSE!!

However, it focused on one of my greatest fears, no matter how low the probability of happening, and that is kidnapping. This movie went deeper than that.

Now for 18+ years my job is to protect/help my son and future kids. Aside from the basics, I'm wondering what can be done to protect against such a thing.

I'm not thinking international kidnappers are an issue and I don't have any unstable/psycho baby-momma's to worry about.

Still, I'm curious what's out there in the way of survival and, more importantly, preparedness when it comes to kidnapping?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Last edited by emt1581; 06-07-2011 at 20:19..
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 20:53   #2
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Hire a private security detail

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 21:30   #3
Unistat

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
I'm not thinking international kidnappers are an issue and I don't have any unstable/psycho baby-momma's to worry about.
Well that covers about 90% of kidnappings. Seriously in the U.S. the overwhelming majority of kidnappings are by family members.

The other major source of kidnapping is one has to worry about is kidnapping for ransom which is prevelent in Mexico and South America, but almost unheard of un the U.S. any more. The F.B.I. really did do a very good job of making it un-profitable, one of their biggest successes in my opinion.

Other than that, Taken style kidnappings do happen, especially in Eastern Europe, but if you never go there you have zero risk.

Last edited by Unistat; 06-07-2011 at 21:31..
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:15   #4
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Yep. Stay away from any country where liberals make it a criminals' paradise. That include pretty much all of Europe, some African colonies, and kit ruins it for most of us.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:11   #5
cyrsequipment
Angry

Kidnappings are on the rise along the southwest border, due to mexican drug trafficking organizations. They mainly kidnap other people in their organizations, but they have been known to use the tactic on others to get money or silence witnesses.

It is still VERY unlikely, but it is happening and getting worse.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:56   #6
emt1581
Curious Member

What most are saying makes sense. And as I said, the probability of this scenario is extremely slim...then again so is a SD shoot. However, I'm curious more about the technology involved in prevention.

Not to go too far off the deep end with this but I know for under $100 I can implant an ID tag the size of a grain of rice into my GSD. I didn't do it and it wouldn't help with tracking but that would be paramount during a kidnapping...finding the kid.

I know they were making children's sneakers with GPS trackers in them. Then again, sneakers can be removed...

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Old 06-08-2011, 06:33   #7
quake

Put on weight:
Survival/Preparedness Forum

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:58   #8
cyrsequipment
Angry

Quote:
Not to go too far off the deep end with this...
-Emt1581
???
Who are you and what did you do with EMT???
Old 06-08-2011, 08:10   #9
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Put on weight:
Survival/Preparedness Forum

Seriously though, the best thing you can do right now is getting your kids to understand the whole "Don't Talk to Strangers" thing. Get them in a Karate school that focuses on teaching young kids how to "Break Free" from an adult trying to grab them.

While kidnapping in the US is rare for the common persons, Abductions, Rapes and Murders of both Male and Female kids, and teen girls are common.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 18:01   #10
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrsequipment View Post
???
Who are you and what did you do with EMT???

-Emt1581
Old 06-08-2011, 18:06   #11
wtf0ver

open carry
Old 06-08-2011, 18:09   #12
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post

Seriously though, the best thing you can do right now is getting your kids to understand the whole "Don't Talk to Strangers" thing. Get them in a Karate school that focuses on teaching young kids how to "Break Free" from an adult trying to grab them.

While kidnapping in the US is rare for the common persons, Abductions, Rapes and Murders of both Male and Female kids, and teen girls are common.
I can see the need to emphasize street smarts, personal defense ,etc. However, I'm more concerned with being able to know their whereabouts at all times. This is not to pry into their social life although I'm sure it'll have it's place there to. It's more about the "just in cases" in life. Just in case they get lost, into a car accident, kidnapped, need to be picked up, etc.

I'm all for preparing kids but lets face it, a seriously pissed off momma and pappa bear will be MUCH more devastating than a cub any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I know we'd do anything for this and any future child.

Again, the movie Taken (ON FX TONIGHT AT 8 ET BTW) is a little far fetched because of the specifics...specific location where such things happen, specific guy with VERY specific skills, specific abilities to smell traps and survive ridiculously outnumbered situations...usually unarmed....so unrealistic IMO. I, and I'm guessin 99.999% of you all will NOT have those skills or luck....but being able to know the child and target's whereabouts would be one HELL of an advantage!!

Thanks for the replies.

-Emt1581
Old 06-08-2011, 19:45   #13
saddlebum

verichip
saddlebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 19:53   #14
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebum View Post
verichip
That looks like it is good for Identification...NOT location...no?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 06-08-2011, 20:05   #15
jdavionic
NRA Member

I thought there was a slow-growing trend in some countries for chip implants. I don't know much about them, but that seems like an option.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 20:13   #16
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
I thought there was a slow-growing trend in some countries for chip implants. I don't know much about them, but that seems like an option.
It's quite popular with pets. However, again, it's more about identification than actual location.

-Emt1581
Old 06-08-2011, 20:15   #17
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
It's quite popular with pets. However, again, it's more about identification than actual location.

-Emt1581
No, I read about ones for tracking / finding people. It's apparently becoming popular in Mexico for families that can afford them.

Old 06-08-2011, 20:20   #18
RED64CJ5

Quote:
Still, I'm curious what's out there in the way of survival and, more importantly, preparedness when it comes to kidnapping?
The #1 best return on investment on kidnap-proofing is to train on awareness. It can be done at a very early age. My youngest is almost 3 and she knows when something/someone is wrong/not-right. Until that awareness lesson is learned, you or your spouse need to always be on guard.

I also agree w/Big Bird.
RED64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 20:21   #19
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
No, I read about ones for tracking / finding people. It's apparently becoming popular in Mexico for families that can afford them.
Oh ok...they probably have a monthly fee as well right? IMO it's worth it.

Hell I'd give everything I own and then some to get my kid back if it came to that. I'd go well into debt to bring the ones responsible to their knees before being tortured for a few years.

-Emt1581
Old 06-08-2011, 20:25   #20
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Oh ok...they probably have a monthly fee as well right? IMO it's worth it.

Hell I'd give everything I own and then some to get my kid back if it came to that. I'd go well into debt to bring the ones responsible to their knees before being tortured for a few years.

-Emt1581
I don't know much about them...but I am interested. My oldest girl wants to go to France for Honors French. And yes, I've seen that movie twice. My first plan is to be a chaperon.