Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-08-2011, 21:15   #1
rfb45colt
safe-cracker

WI "compromise" CC bill to be announced 6/9/11

https://www.facebook.com/notes/vicki...50212623123150

This will be announced tomorrow at a WI legislature's joint committee meeting scheduled for 12 noon, according to Darren LaSorte of the NRA, the NRA lobbyist who's been working to get CC in WI since 2001. It details a "compromise" CC bill that will have bi-partisan support and will easily pass the legislature. The votes just are not there for permitless "constitutionnal" carry at this time, but there's plenty of support for this. There's also a 30 minute podcast available that has many more answers to some questions.

Some details are:

there will be permits required with same background check with WI DOJ as required to buy handgun ($13)

must be WI resident and 21 or older (no non-res permits issued)

there will be training required, but just like in FL. No specific course or time-length required. Prior training is good, hunter safety is good, ex military is good, LE training is good... any "certified" firearm safety training will suffice.

NO effect on open carry, but to carry in 1,000' school zone, permit is required, either OC or CC, per federal law (WI cannot change fed law).

OC in vehicle WITHOUT permit (handguns only... laws remain the same for long guns) but permit is still required in 1,000' school zones.

No fingerprints.

Permit cost about $50 for 5 years (less upon renewal).

Database of permit holders available to LE ONLY, NO public access.

nothing on reciprocity mentioned here, but current shall-issue bill has reciprocity provisions, I assume they'll stay the same, which was WI will accept permit from any State (both res or non-res permits) that requires background check, except that will likely now require a minimum training standard also, just like WI residents must have.

Current bill also states WI residents must have WI permit.

Current bill also does not require photo on permit, but just like MN, permit must be accompanied by another "official" ID with a photo, like a DL, to be valid.

I assume the above items in current shall-issue bill will go unchanged because they were not specifically mentioned in "compromise". We'll know for sure tomorrow.

For those who dont know... there are currently two proposed CC bills in WI. SB93 is a constitutional carry bill with optional permits. SB90/AB126 is a shall issue bill similar to what's above. Personally I don't see were there's a "compromise". The votes just are not there for SB93, and the only thing the Dem opponants are "giving" is some support for SB90/AB126... which isn't really needed as the Repubs can do what they want... they control Senate, Assembly, and Governor. But enough Repubs won't touch "no-permits" for it to be short of the majority needed.

Last edited by rfb45colt; 06-08-2011 at 21:23..
rfb45colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43   #2
A6Gator

Given there is no shall-issue concealed carry in WI right now, looks like a success story from here.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:56   #3
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Personally I'd like to see both pass. Constitutional Carry for those who don't go near 1000' of a school and the Permit Carry as stated for both within school boundaries and reciprocal carry.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:57   #4
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb45colt View Post
must be WI resident and 21 or older (no non-res permits issued)
That's going to be one of the first things to change or push to change.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:06   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

This what I kinda suspected would happen... You ask for everything you want, then negotiate down to what you're willing to accept.

Great news, sounds like it's finally gonna happen in WI... The training requirement for reciprocity kinda sucks (it'll obviously rule out a few states)... but.. those are simple things that can be adjusted as time goes on.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:47   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Found this on OpenCarry.org (A lot of them are freaking out cuz this is not a constitutional carry bill)... many of them even saying they will sign a recall petition on Walker in January (which would be 100% counterproductive)

http://www.wiba.com/cc-common/podcas...2006-08-11.mp3

IGF
Old 06-09-2011, 09:39   #7
Kriterian

My wife and step-daughter are from Wisconsin, so I'm glad to hear this. It's kind of sad that it took ten years to get that far, but better late than never.
Kriterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 15:45   #8
sourdough44

It's great that this is on track. There's no reason to try to recall Walker over this, the lefty's are enough trouble as it is. What did Doyle ever do? There are a few vocal minorities complaining that if we can't jump right to constitutional carry it isn't good enough. I'll take this any day.

Another bennie is you should be able to walk out of the store with your new gun once you have a permit. The permit will be your background check. Other than CC, WI has pretty favorable gun laws.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 16:55   #9
mike from philly

Figures the largest training organization in the US is pushing a training law. The NRA pulled the same stunt here in Georgia. Somebody should demand the NRA prove training does anything, besides helping their cash flow.

The simple provable fact is that training has NO impact on safety or lawful use of a gun. Its a tax on self defense.

A reason for WI to oppose training is that it will affect reciprocity. Here's how it works. WI will only reciprocate with states that have similar requirements. That means WI won't honor a GA license. Since GA is a mutual reciprocity state (you respect ours we'll respect yours), WI won't have reciprocity with GA and a bunch other states without training.

member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- Fighting For Your Right To Bear Arms

Last edited by mike from philly; 06-09-2011 at 16:58..
mike from philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 17:18   #10
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike from philly View Post
Figures the largest training organization in the US is pushing a training law. The NRA pulled the same stunt here in Georgia. Somebody should demand the NRA prove training does anything, besides helping their cash flow.

The simple provable fact is that training has NO impact on safety or lawful use of a gun. Its a tax on self defense.

A reason for WI to oppose training is that it will affect reciprocity. Here's how it works. WI will only reciprocate with states that have similar requirements. That means WI won't honor a GA license. Since GA is a mutual reciprocity state (you respect ours we'll respect yours), WI won't have reciprocity with GA and a bunch other states without training.
My understanding is... The Lack of training in the first bill (constitutional carry, optional permits) was a big problem that a lot of Dems had, and they just didn't have the votes for that.. so they had to make some compromises.

This should pass easily.
Old 06-09-2011, 17:25   #11
RottnJP
Lifetime Membership

Meh. Check out the thread on the guy shooting himself while playing with his *unholstered* pocket carry.

I've seen some real dumbasses with firearms, and it really doesn't bother me to have an NRA certified training class. Why NRA? Better that than HCI.

Another perspective is that for the 95% that don't actually carry, "no training required" is hard to swallow sometimes, like when someone shoots himself and injures a kid in line at a restaurant. The backlash from something like that can do a lot of harm.
Outpost Member #69.14159
RottnJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 17:27   #12
kensteele

I see training both ways. No way should you be required to go thru "training" to carry a firearm and protect yourself. However, if the state issues you a permit, the least they can do is explain the rules/laws to you. Otherwise, I can see where someone can say the state is giving you a permit but not making sure you know. I don't like it but I guess they need it if they are going to be accepted by a lot of other anal states. I like that apparently WI will accept all other permits. Congrats, WI!
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 17:27   #13
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottnJP View Post
Meh. Check out the thread on the guy shooting himself while playing with his *unholstered* pocket carry.

I've seen some real dumbasses with firearms, and it really doesn't bother me to have an NRA certified training class. Why NRA? Better that than HCI.

Another perspective is that for the 95% that don't actually carry, "no training required" is hard to swallow sometimes, like when someone shoots himself and injures a kid in line at a restaurant. The backlash from something like that can do a lot of harm.
EXACTLY!

I hate that training is required, but sometimes we are our own worst enemy, and thats why this sort of thing has become the norm.
Old 06-09-2011, 21:59   #14
rfb45colt
safe-cracker

Quote:

NRA was NOT pushing for a permit law with training until it came down to that or nothing. I'll take the permit/traing bill rather than nothing. There simply were not enough votes in the legislature to pass constitutional carry. We got hurt on that front real bad last week, when two "conservative" radio talk show hosts went on a tirade about no permits, and no training, They caused a big backlash amongst even the Repubs. We lost the majority due to a guy with a microphone who was supposed to be on our side.

It became clear without some training there'd be no CC. It was the NRA's guy who brought in the FL model for training and they used that. If I'm not mistaken, FL & GA have reciprocity. I have a FL permit, and the FL website lists GA as a state I can carry in. The WI training is lifted almost word for word from the FL law.... BUT, the bill does NOT say that only permits from states that have similar training will be honored. It says as long as your issuing state requires a background check, your permit is honored here.

It also states that for purposes of the federal gun free school zone law, an out-of-state licensee is considered to be licensed by WI for purposes of the GFSZ law. The fed GFSZ law does not allow out-of-state permittees to carry in GFSZ in states that do not "license" them. This bill makes your GA license just as good as a WI license in WI GFSZ. Who else does that?

Here's a link to the description of the amendment to the bill.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lfb/2011-...09_SB93_LC.pdf

edit to add: Time became a critical factor too. The legislature has been tied up with the budget battle and union protests, etc, that made national news. They break for the summer in a few weeks. Don't come back til September. Recall elections on 9 Senators (6 repubs, 3 dems) are in July. IF the Dems win 6 out of 9, they retake the Senate. If they retake the Senate, we likely get no CC, or THEY write the bill. This needs to be done and signed by June 30th or we might not have anything. Senate votes Tuesday, I wouldn't be surprised if Assembly votes Wednesday, Thursday at the latest edit: heard on the news the Assembly starts work on the budget bill on Tuesday, so it might be a few days more before they get this passed. On to Gov who has pen in hand waiting.... and FINALLY, we're #49.

Last edited by rfb45colt; 06-11-2011 at 08:51..
rfb45colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 22:05   #15
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
BUT, the bill does NOT say that only permits from states that have similar training will be honored. It says as long as your issuing state requires a background check, your permit is honored here.
Hmm, I must have misunderstood the NRA guy on the radio this morning discussing this... He said that in order for an out of state permit to be recognized, they would have to have similar training requirements to WI's...

I hope thats not the case, my IN permit is good in FL.. so if what you're saying is correct, it should be good in WI also.
Old 06-09-2011, 22:17   #16
rfb45colt
safe-cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Hmm, I must have misunderstood the NRA guy on the radio this morning discussing this... He said that in order for an out of state permit to be recognized, they would have to have similar training requirements to WI's...

I hope thats not the case, my IN permit is good in FL.. so if what you're saying is correct, it should be good in WI also.
Go to the link in my previous post, scroll down to page 4, and read Out-of-State Licensees section. If you had a background search to get your permit, you're good. I see no training restrictions for reciprocity.

You'll also like the third paragraph of that section.
Old 06-09-2011, 22:41   #17
xenophon

rfb45colt, I remember you posting in the Doyle days on PPA. And Sherman.

Great to see a very clean bill come up for vote Tue. Here's to hoping no more amendments get tacked on to make it more restrictive.
xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 23:52   #18
kingclassic

Under the current proposed amendments it looks like reciprocity would be based only on background checks.

Quote:
The substitute amendment requires DOJ to promulgate, by rule, a list of states that issue a permit, license, approval, or other authorization to carry a concealed weapon if the permit, license, approval, or other authorization requires, or designates that the holder chose to submit to, a background
search that is comparable to the background check required to obtain a license in Wisconsin.
kingclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:08   #19
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Go to the link in my previous post, scroll down to page 4, and read Out-of-State Licensees section. If you had a background search to get your permit, you're good. I see no training restrictions for reciprocity.

You'll also like the third paragraph of that section.

I just read through all that, and assuming that the final bill looks like that, that is a very doable bill. They are even knocking out Media Access and being allowed to keep a firearm in your vehicle at your workplace, all in one shot.

Again, assuming that bill shows everything that is going to be in the bill, I just cannot see how people can be upset with that.

Also, one thing that the "memo" is not really clear on, is if a sign is proper notification.

IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 06-10-2011 at 06:14..
Old 06-10-2011, 06:20   #20
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Please provide proof.
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote