GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 10:46   #26
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,644
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
the cops are playing by the rules the judges whom you elected enacted.

since you dont like you should change the law. and doing it starts with election of different judges, not talking crap about cops following the current law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
You're right; some judges have dropped the ball on these issues. Some judges don't even know how rules are being bent and how limits are being redefined in the real world. Pointing to another branch of government however, is still no excuse for law enforcement not doing its job.
Thanks for making cowboywannabe's point, one I've made frequently. It is easy to attack the symptoms, but if you do not cure the root problem, the symptoms keep reappearing.

Your response skips right over his suggestion you work to change the basic problem and refocuses on law enforcement. You need to refocus your attacks.
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51   #27
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,644
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
It's not exigent if they can get a warrant. The police could have easily gotten a warrant in this case.
Really? And the argument to the judge would have been what?
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:54   #28
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
Sam Spade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 20,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
It's not exigent if they can get a warrant. The police could have easily gotten a warrant in this case.
And where would the evidence have been? Gone. Therefore, it was exigent. See, you're only giving part of the definition of exigency. Yes, it is absolutely required that the police could get a warrant for the premises before they enter: crime in progress, person dying, whatever. It then becomes exigent when the time used to get that warrant allows the harm to be done. I could have gotten a warrant, but by then he would have finished stabbing her. I could have gotten a warrant, but by then the evidence would be destroyed. Therefore, I made warrantless entry, and the court can judge the reasonableness of my decision.

Are you dropping the claim that the standards for exigency have changed? Just want to know so that I don't badger you about it.
__________________
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:59   #29
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Really? And the argument to the judge would have been what?
You would have to argue with a judge on this? How about presenting your facts the way it is normally done.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:09   #30
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
And where would the evidence have been? Gone. Therefore, it was exigent. See, you're only giving part of the definition of exigency. Yes, it is absolutely required that the police could get a warrant for the premises before they enter: crime in progress, person dying, whatever. It then becomes exigent when the time used to get that warrant allows the harm to be done. I could have gotten a warrant, but by then he would have finished stabbing her. I could have gotten a warrant, but by then the evidence would be destroyed. Therefore, I made warrantless entry, and the court can judge the reasonableness of my decision.

Are you dropping the claim that the standards for exigency have changed? Just want to know so that I don't badger you about it.
Don't take my word for it. Just look at all of the dozens of botched raids in the past couple of decades. It's no accident that these foul-ups coincide with increased militarization, including introduction of SWAT for things like weed. Ask that mayor why the boneheads had to shoot his two labs. "Oh, gee sorry, Mayor, guess we'll have to buy you a couple of dogs." Sure, go ahead and be sloppy and point to someone else. The taxpayers will always foot the bill in the name of your new found exigencies.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:13   #31
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Thanks for making cowboywannabe's point, one I've made frequently. It is easy to attack the symptoms, but if you do not cure the root problem, the symptoms keep reappearing.

Your response skips right over his suggestion you work to change the basic problem and refocuses on law enforcement. You need to refocus your attacks.
You are part the problem. Law enforcement is one branch of government, equal with the other two branches.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:14   #32
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 20,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
Don't take my word for it. Just look at all of the dozens of botched raids in the past couple of decades. It's no accident that these foul-ups coincide with increased militarization, including introduction of SWAT for things like weed. Ask that mayor why the boneheads had to shoot his two labs. "Oh, gee sorry, Mayor, guess we'll have to buy you a couple of dogs." Sure, go ahead and be sloppy and point to someone else. The taxpayers will always foot the bill in the name of your new found exigencies.
that would mean that the number is less than 1% when you factor in all the "raids" done in the same time frame. thats better odds than what a doctor gives you or car mechanic or anybody.....

and policing has been resticted more and more over the decades.....lots of things that cant be done as S.O.P. that were done decades ago......
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:16   #33
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 20,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
You are part the problem. Law enforcement is one branch of government, equal with the other two branches.
not at all.

the legislative, juditial, and executive are the branches of government i was taught.

the police cant enforce any law until its been through those three branches, and even then its up for re-examination when ever it goes to court.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 06-16-2011 at 11:16..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:20   #34
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,644
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
You would have to argue with a judge on this? How about presenting your facts the way it is normally done.
Okay, then what facts would have been presented to the judge?
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:23   #35
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
not at all.

the legislative, juditial, and executive are the branches of government i was taught.

the police cant enforce any law until its been through those three branches, and even then its up for re-examination when ever it goes to court.
The police fall under executive. They enforce laws.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:24   #36
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Okay, then what facts would have been presented to the judge?
You tell me. The police knocked down the door.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:26   #37
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,644
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
You are part the problem. Law enforcement is one branch of government, equal with the other two branches.
Me? Really? How so, me personally?

You say, "Law enforcement is one branch of government...", don't you mean Judicial?
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:35   #38
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,644
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
You tell me. The police knocked down the door.
I'll take that as confirmation you have no idea.
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:38   #39
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,644
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
The police fall under executive. They enforce laws.
Wait, you said law enforcement is the third branch. Which is it you want them to be?
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:49   #40
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
that would mean that the number is less than 1% when you factor in all the "raids" done in the same time frame. thats better odds than what a doctor gives you or car mechanic or anybody.....
I am talking about the increase of raids over the decades. The percentage can still be the same, but the raw numbers will increase. Those raw numbers take the form of innocent people being harmed or killed.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:07   #41
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
I'll take that as confirmation you have no idea.
I'll take that as confirmation you didn't watch the video, see the case, or even bother to read the posts.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 13:17   #42
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,644
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
I'll take that as confirmation you didn't watch the video, see the case, or even bother to read the posts.
Come on, you know better than that.

The video in your original post is hardly balanced and in no way is it inclusive of all facts related to the subjects. He'd rather the police be used to fix sidewalks and clean up, as in sweep, the streets, keeping them free of refuse/trash, like in the old days.

That was funny, me not know facts before commenting.
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 13:29   #43
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 20,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
I am talking about the increase of raids over the decades. The percentage can still be the same, but the raw numbers will increase. Those raw numbers take the form of innocent people being harmed or killed.
crime has increased, so "raids" have increase.

guess what? the number of cars on the road have increased and so have the number of car wrecks.....

your logic in this statement makes no sence.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 13:31   #44
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 20,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
The police fall under executive. They enforce laws.
again, only after you have voted for the people whom enacted such laws. so the police are enforcing laws you wanted only after you, via proxy of your voting in the politicians whom made the laws.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 16:58   #45
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
crime has increased...

Says who?
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 16:59   #46
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
again, only after you have voted for the people whom enacted such laws. so the police are enforcing laws you wanted only after you, via proxy of your voting in the politicians whom made the laws.

You are shifting the responsibility. The police are an equal branch of government.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 17:05   #47
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
He'd rather the police be used to fix sidewalks and clean up, as in sweep, the streets, keeping them free of refuse/trash, like in the old days.
Considering that the police have tried to make their jobs easier by casting the wide nets, they might as well sweep. At least it's something useful.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 17:27   #48
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
Sam Spade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 20,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
You are shifting the responsibility. The police are an equal branch of government.
This is so silly that I have to be reading it wrong. Watchyutalkinbout?
__________________
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 17:36   #49
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
This is so silly that I have to be reading it wrong. Watchyutalkinbout?
What are you talking about?
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 17:49   #50
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
Sam Spade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 20,771
"The police are an equal branch of government."

That's silly. You can't possibly mean that, so what do you mean?
__________________
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,108
372 Members
736 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42