SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-10-2011, 16:33   #1
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Heading to SC and bummed

Planning a family trip to Myrtle Beach with a stop in Wilmington NC. Everything looks good on the carry front until I get to South Carolina. WTH is their problem? They don't recognize my state's permit and basically make it illegal for me to have my gun in their state.

When are you 'Gamecocks' going to get with the liberty program? [see sig]

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 19:05   #2
Captains1911

According to a reference of mine (Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States - 2011) regarding traveling to SC:

"Persons without recognized permits: vehicle carry of a loaded handgun is allowed if the weapon is contained in a closed glove compartment, console box, or trunk.

A non-permittee may carry a loaded handgun from his vehicle to his hotel room so long as he has paid the rent and the hotel tax."

I would call SC state police to confirm the above.

Last edited by Captains1911; 06-10-2011 at 19:07..
Captains1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 19:10   #3
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

<----- is a SC Law Enforcement Certified Instructor.

You can carry in a closed compartment of your car. Console, glove compartment, or trunk. The gun can be loaded.
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 19:11   #4
carloglock19

Yeah I thought that was the case when in SC. I have family there and before I hit the state line it goes in the glove box and in the house/hotel when I make it to my destination.
BRC - 2016
carloglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 19:12   #5
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

BTW, if you get close to the Columbia, we can hit the range.
Old 06-10-2011, 19:44   #6
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Thank you. Based on what I read on handgunlaw.com, it doesn't look good for out of state visitors with permits from states without reciprocity. Poor old Indiana, we recognize everyone but get screwed in return because we don't "infringe" as much as those states which require training.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin
Old 06-10-2011, 20:47   #7
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforeobamabans View Post
Thank you. Based on what I read on handgunlaw.com, it doesn't look good for out of state visitors with permits from states without reciprocity. Poor old Indiana, we recognize everyone but get screwed in return because we don't "infringe" as much as those states which require training.
If you read what's been provided above, you'll realize that you can take your handgun with you, you just can't carry it everywhere. It's not nearly as bad as some states.
Captains1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 21:40   #8
RustyDaleShackleford
Giblet Head

WTH?

I'd email... whoever you'd email in a situation like this... and let them know that I'm not vacationing in their state and spending money there because of their oppressive firearms laws.

Do they respect NC CCW's?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Quote:
If you need something more powerful than a .45, you need something more powerful than a handgun.
RustyDaleShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 22:31   #9
Glock Preacher

Got stopped last October by South Carolina State Trooper for no seat belt. Did not have my CCWL at that time but had my loaded gun in the glovebox. Had to retrieve my registration for the officer and told him I had a loaded gun in the glovebox. His response ok. No problem what so ever received my $25.00 ticket and went my way.
Glock Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 22:38   #10
DaveG

I love SC, but it has a strange state gov't and strange laws...
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:21   #11
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyDaleShackleford View Post
WTH?

I'd email... whoever you'd email in a situation like this... and let them know that I'm not vacationing in their state and spending money there because of their oppressive firearms laws.

Do they respect NC CCW's?
Yes we honor NC CWP's.
We are trying to get this problem changed. When the CWP laws were written in the early 90's, SC decided not to honor any CWP that didn't require training. That is why GA doesn't honor our CWP either. GA told SC to pound sand because we won't honor their permit. It is really a childish circle.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:28   #12
ashecht

living in Charlotte, I cross theSC border frequently. Keep in mind that in NC, open carry is not explicitly illegal, while in SC it IS very illegal. Also in NC, non CCW holders must have the gun in plain sight, ie passenger seat or dashboard, while in SC it must be in the glovebox, console, etc. I learned these things firsthand.
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
ashecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:06   #13
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyscott69 View Post
Yes we honor NC CWP's.
We are trying to get this problem changed. When the CWP laws were written in the early 90's, SC decided not to honor any CWP that didn't require training. That is why GA doesn't honor our CWP either. GA told SC to pound sand because we won't honor their permit. It is really a childish circle.
I was wondering whether either of the state's representatives were making progress to resolve this long-standing issue. It's a PITA given the proximity. Live in GA and often pass through or go to SC.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:16   #14
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
I was wondering whether either of the state's representatives were making progress to resolve this long-standing issue. It's a PITA given the proximity. Live in GA and often pass through or go to SC.
This is the bill that was introduced this year to address many issues concerning CWP in SC. I am not sure of the current status. Some jackass put an amendment on it that basically made it crap and stalled everything.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess119_...bills/3292.htm
Old 06-11-2011, 11:40   #15
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Good ol' State's Rights rears its ugly head again.

Why is my FL permit recognized, but your IN permit isn't?

Training? What training?
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 14:37   #16
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforeobamabans View Post
Poor old Indiana, we recognize everyone but get screwed in return because we don't "infringe" as much as those states which require training.
Yeah, it's horrible to require proof that someone actually had a ultra minimum amount of training before carrying a deadly weapon!

Last edited by cowboy1964; 06-11-2011 at 14:37..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 14:52   #17
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Yeah, it's horrible to require proof that someone actually had a ultra minimum amount of training before carrying a deadly weapon!
It's just another impediment to liberty.

Old 06-11-2011, 18:12   #18
onebadtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Good ol' State's Rights rears its ugly head again.

Why is my FL permit recognized, but your IN permit isn't?

Training? What training?
Didn't you take the concealed weapons course before you were issued your permit? I did!
onebadtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 18:49   #19
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Just because you can shoot 50 or so rounds for a couple minutes in a controlled environment, doesn't somehow make you competent. Just like sitting in a classroom for a few hours for a broad handgun safety class, doesn't make you competent either.

Even though for years here in Iowa, many counties were essentially shall issue. But when the new actual shall issue law passed and went into effect on Jan 1, PTC classes became very, very popular. I could tell that more than a couple people in my last class had essentially no experience with handguns. I would hope that they would shoot often on their own, take more classes and so forth, until they were comfortable with carrying. Either all the time or once in a while. It's called personal responsibility. And even though when shall issue went into place and it required no shooting, just a class, many cried and whined foul. And did the usual "blood in the streets" routine. It hasn't happened.
-------------------------------

It would be nice if a place like SC would honor my IA permit, since IA honors theirs, but it doesn't. The reciprocity laws in the country are usually at the whim of a select few. Some are as simple as you honor mine, I'll honor yours. But some AGs, or whatever will change them on a whim. Just how it is.

But since I'm a states rights guy, I'll have to take the good with the bad. But I do think the Constitution should trump it all when it comes to guaranteed rights, like the 2A.

But all this is kinda moot. Since I travel to VA quite a bit, but not SC. Except for Ill, I'm gtg with my IA and UT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Sheepdog Scout; 06-11-2011 at 18:50..
Sheepdog Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 19:02   #20
beforeobamabans
FYPM

All the shooting problems here in Indiana are from illegal gun owners. There has never been an incident with a permitted LTCH holder due to a lack of "training".