Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-11-2011, 17:30   #1
Shinesintx

Hotel waterpark: Concealed carry?

Just kidding, I am not seriously considering carrying in a hotel waterpark...but something got me thinking:

Earlier today, I had to go to the Gaylord Texan Convention Center. I knew I was only gonna be there for a few minutes, so I decided to take my 4 1/2 year old to their waterpark for some fun after I did what I needed to do at the convention center. The Gaylord Texan has a Lazy River and a slide...its not that big of a deal, but she enjoyed it nevertheless. The scenery was pleasant, but thats another story.

Anywho, I left my LCP in the truck, hidden, but my truck was within sight. In order to take everything in, I used a backpack and the person checking credentials to get in wanted to check the contents of my backpack. I thought about the Wal-Mart threads here at GT, giggled, and told the guy knock yourself out, take a peek.

I was actually amused by him looking thru my backpack. I was wearing shorts and flip flops, but I could have taken any number of firearms into their little park. There were no metal detectors or persons handing out frisks like the TSA. Pretty sure that legally I could have done so and was in the right. (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong) Also kinda wonder what would have happened if I had carried in my backpack and he found it.

I guess my question and point is this: What did they actually accomplish by searching my backpack? Nothing? Making the sheep feel safe? It was pointless IMO, but I guess the masses want to feel like they are secure and something is being done to protect them. Normally, I would not have even given it a second thought, but now that I have a CCP...things seem different? Thoughts?

Last edited by Shinesintx; 06-11-2011 at 17:33..
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:12   #2
poodleplumber

I have been amused by the same thing. Backpacks, purses, and such are searched, but they do nothing to check for IWB carry at many such places. I recently went to a conference held at a restaurant at an amusement park. There were signs prohibiting food and drinks, but not firearms. They searched bags, but there was an entrance for people without bags or purses. That all made me think they were more interested in sales than in security, even if one accepts the idea that gun-free zones are more secure.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:17   #3
eracer
Where's my EBT?

I carried into a Disney park once. Pistol was in a small over-the-shoulder bag that they searched. But they didn't see the hidden inner pocket.

The worst they can do if they find a weapon is refuse entry. (At least here in Florida.)

Last edited by eracer; 06-12-2011 at 10:18..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:17   #4
SGT HATRED

He wanted to make sure you weren't bringing in alcohol or outside foods or beverages so they can charge you 6$ a beer and 12$ for a hotdog...
SGT HATRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:24   #5
cruisermedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT HATRED View Post
He wanted to make sure you weren't bringing in alcohol or outside foods or beverages so they can charge you 6$ a beer and 12$ for a hotdog...
This is exactly what he was doing. They also like to make sure there are no glass bottles. Places like pools and water parks hate getting glass in the water.
cruisermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 21:53   #6
Toorop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT HATRED View Post
This exactly what I was thinking. They aren't looking for guns, they are looking for alcohol, glass bottles, and food products primary. If they stop someone from bringing in a gun they are ok with that. But if they wanted to stop guns they would have metal detectors. You're not going to carry a six-pack of beer IWB.
Toorop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 22:52   #7
Shinesintx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
This exactly what I was thinking. They aren't looking for guns, they are looking for alcohol, glass bottles, and food products primary. If they stop someone from bringing in a gun they are ok with that. But if they wanted to stop guns they would have metal detectors. You're not going to carry a six-pack of beer IWB.
I guess that makes more sense. The more I think about it...thats gotta be what it was.
Old 06-14-2011, 15:18   #8
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
You're not going to carry a six-pack of beer IWB.
Now I'm going to go try that just because you said I couldn't.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 15:43   #9
Taz

Last I checked "amusement parks" were off limits in TX, so you may want stay away or not carry.

In all likelihood the guy was looking for contraband. Glass, outside food or alcohol.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 15:54   #10
lookin4my1stglock

I am actually more interested in the scenery that was being observed at the waterpark.....
Rule #1 Cardio......Rule #2 Always Double Tap
lookin4my1stglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 15:59   #11
Oso

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin4my1stglock View Post
I am actually more interested in the scenery that was being observed at the waterpark.....
Pics or it didn't happen?!
Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:29   #12
bithabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Last I checked "amusement parks" were off limits in TX, so you may want stay away or not carry.
Only if valid 30.06 is posted.