SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-12-2011, 14:41   #1
Marc1956
CLM #66

Do you attend a house of worship?

I attend church on Sundays. I finally understood the full meaning of the Gospel when I was 40 years old and became a Christian. As such, my wife and I have been attending church ever since then, 15 years for me. Having like minded people being a part of my/our life has become very important to us. When our sons girlfriend was killed in an accident, my father died in 2004, my sister was diagnosed with a super rare brain disease that she died from in 2009, my remaining sister was diagnosed with a super rare lung disease that may kill her AND my mother died last December, our church family and friends surrounded us and helped us almost as much as our faith did. Therefore, I firmly believe that corporate worship strengthens us and allows us an avenue to serve others.

So..... Do you attend a house of worship? Just curious what the response will be. Also, how civil this will be!
Old 06-12-2011, 15:13   #2
achysklic

I keep the Sabbath, we usually meet in each others houses. We do travel during Holy Days and attend larger groups.

As the bible says where 2 or more are gathered in my name I am among them.

Church isn't a building, the greek word for church means "called out ones"

So if a couple of like minded believers can get together and study the word of God. That is church.
achysklic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 15:14   #3
Vic Hays

Yes, I attend both to give and to recieve. The Lord expects us to put our shoulder to the wheel and help out where we can. There are certainly a lot of people in this world who are hurting.

I got run over by a car a couple of decades ago and the hospital staff was asking what church I went to because so many people came to see me.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 17:10   #4
AlexHassin

nope no reason for me to
AlexHassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 20:09   #5
pilsbury

Yep, sure do. Went this morning as a matter of fact.
Old 06-12-2011, 21:51   #6
Mushinto
Master Member

Yes..

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 22:59   #7
Syclone538

Once every couple years I get talked into going by family members that do not know I'm atheist. It's depressing because I sit there the whole time wondering if all the people there are crazy, or I am.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:34   #8
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1956 View Post
I attend church on Sundays. I finally understood the full meaning of the Gospel when I was 40 years old and became a Christian. As such, my wife and I have been attending church ever since then, 15 years for me. Having like minded people being a part of my/our life has become very important to us. When our sons girlfriend was killed in an accident, my father died in 2004, my sister was diagnosed with a super rare brain disease that she died from in 2009, my remaining sister was diagnosed with a super rare lung disease that may kill her AND my mother died last December, our church family and friends surrounded us and helped us almost as much as our faith did. Therefore, I firmly believe that corporate worship strengthens us and allows us an avenue to serve others.

So..... Do you attend a house of worship? Just curious what the response will be. Also, how civil this will be!
Yes, corporate and private worship are key ingredients to keeping the relationship alive. For us, corporate worship is a two hour turn around. One to get there, one to get back. But, it is the best environment for the kids. There are a plethora of churches to choose from locally. However, what I look for in a church is a good structure for the children and that it is truth seeking, not simply a social event. To that end, as I am sure many of you remember my first major post here, I keep Saturday, the Sabbath.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:49   #9
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

This is my church

Religious Issues
Old 06-13-2011, 06:13   #10
Marc1956
CLM #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
This is my church

Religious Issues
Beautiful!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:23   #11
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
This is my church

Religious Issues
Heathen...
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:03   #12
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
This is my church

Religious Issues
That beautiful church will reveal to you that God exists, but it won't tell you His specific plan of salvation through Jesus Christ.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:16   #13
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Quote:
This is my church
Religious Issues
Heathen...
That mountain doesn't even rise above the treeline. Coloradans scoff at your hill.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:26   #14
heyTJ
Giddy up!

Send a message via ICQ to heyTJ
I attend equine services daily.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:43   #15
creaky
Pamwe Chete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
That beautiful church will reveal to you that God exists, but it won't tell you His specific plan of salvation through Jesus Christ.
Well said.
Old 06-13-2011, 18:39   #16
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
No offense, I don't knock anyone for finding religion, but I don't buy organized religion. I choose to live a good life, be good to people, do the right thing and take no part in anything related to a bible. Everyone has their own right to their own religion, or not. The river gods are where I thank mother nature, not an imaginary diety that watches everything I do.
Old 06-13-2011, 20:04   #17
CitizenOfDreams

I feel uncomfortable in churches. It's a feeling similar to the one you have when you see a cat drinking from the toilet.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 21:17   #18
Marc1956
CLM #66

Quote:
No offense, I don't knock anyone for finding religion, but I don't buy organized religion. I choose to live a good life, be good to people, do the right thing and take no part in anything related to a bible. Everyone has their own right to their own religion, or not. The river gods are where I thank mother nature, not an imaginary diety that watches everything I do.
I hear people who don't want any part of "organized religion" and I get that, but I don't understand your objection to "anything related to a bible". The Bible does contain information that encourages one to live a good life, be good to people and to do the right thing, so it sounds kind of like you actually are taking part of things related to a Bible. Also, if the deity you refer to is imaginary, are not the river gods and mother nature equally imaginary? It appears to me that you are practicing that which you wish to avoid. As for me, the "organized" part of my faith is the church worship time. Outside of that, what I do is more of a "relationship" with my Creatlor than a "religion". I feel like it is more important for me to keep my eye on Him than to be concerned that He is watching me.

Thanks for your input and I really am curious as to your comments, not trying to start anything. Peace!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:28   #19
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
You prefer disorganized religion? What other important area of life would you prefer disorganization to organization?
Old 06-14-2011, 13:26   #20
Guss

I don't know that you could call it a house of worship, but I sometimes attend services at a Unitarian church where atheists are welcome. I enjoy the real-world focus.
Guss is offline   Reply With Quote