Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-12-2011, 15:51   #1
PittsburghFrank

Sig 229 or Glock 23 Gen 4

I am in the market for a .40 handgun. I currently carry a G19 and G26, depending on how I am dressed. I am going back and forth between a Sig 229 in 40, or a Glock 23, Gen 4, and am looking for your opinion on which you would select and why.

I have funds availiable that I can buy either, so cost is not an issue. I know the Sig is much more expensive. I am looking primarily for shootability of the .40. Quality, long term maintenance, and general gun satisfaction are secondary desires, but important. I want to carry IWB.

If you have carried both, I would appreciate your pros and cons.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 06-12-2011, 15:59   #2
K1tt3n5
Hell hath glock

I love my 23, but will be buying a 229 in the future. If I had to pick one, it would be the 23 though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
K1tt3n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 16:04   #3
outcast1911

The 23 will work in your current carry rig...I'd buy the Sig. No I'd buy a 1911 in 45acp.
Old 06-12-2011, 16:40   #4
Seraph

Of the two you cited, I'd go with the Glock 23. In Sigs, my preference would be for the P226, in 9mm Para. In Glocks, my preference would be for the Glock 19 (you'd have two Glock 19's, which is a good start). The Glock 19/23/32 is a svelt little concealed companion that's hard to beat, and, IMO, the P229 doesn't beat it. If it must be a .40, and you're looking at platforms other than Glock, the .40 I'd choose would be a full size M&P (or even a long slide).
Old 06-12-2011, 19:37   #5
HarleyGuy

Not an exact match to your inquiry but I have a 229/9 and a Glock 27, which is just a tad smaller than a Glock 23.

I love the Sig but it's just a little too heavy and bulky for EDC unless I wear a pullover, or a loose fitting cover shirt.

I always tell people that the difference in a Glock and a Sig is comparable to a Chevy and a Cadillac.
THe Chevy will get ou to the same place but a Cadillac does it in style
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 20:14   #6
RRTX11

I went through a similar issue. Price not an issue and which to choose. My buddy has a 229 that I shot today for the third time. I wanted to shoot IDPA, and also carry my "STOCK" game gun keeping it completely factory. The SIG shoots unbelievably well, feels like a ferrari, and is perfectly balanced. I think it has a better recoil recovery. The two most popular IDPA guns are the Glock 34, Glock 17 with SIG not even being on the list. Because of this I chose the Glock 17. If I just wanted one pistol, no gaming, I would probably choose the SIG. With that being said, I just picked up a 19 to carry. SIGs just ooze quality though.
RRTX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 20:46   #7
seed

I just got a Glock 23 Gen4 and have had one of the very first Sig P229's from 1994...and a Gen3 G23 from 1998. You can find near-perfect condition, pre-Cohen era (pre-MIM) Sig P229's for under 600 with night-sites, more easily than you think (not to say it is easy to find). If you do, get it. Unfortunately, it is from a by-gone era where quality still mattered heavily in the hearts of Sig. Ironically, even though what I just said is fighting words to many, no one can deny the quality of the older Sigs.

I am happy I got my Gen 4 G23, being in Kali, but I will not be getting rid of my Gen 3. It too is pre-MIM, as far as I know and it works just fine. I have yet to shoot my Gen4, but you can bet I will be comparing it to my Gen3. Anyway, you can always get the latest and allegedly greatest Glock...you have to luck into a reasonably priced 90's-era Sig P229. Personally, I'd pass on the latest Sigs at the moment.
seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 21:15   #8
BigDaddyK

I bought a Sig thinking I'd like it but the DA/SA trigger was just too different for me after shooting glocks for years. It was the most expensive mistake I've ever made.

Sig will be heavier and depending on you might take more time to become proficient with for carry. I'd get the glock.
BigDaddyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:07   #9
PghJim

I got rid of my Sig 229 and kept the G32. The Sig was too heavy and I could not get used to the DA/SA transition. I have not tried the DAK trigger (if that is what it is called), it may be better. Through all of the carry experimenting I have done over the last 25 year, I have found the G19/23/32 to be the best carry guns. However, I rushed out and bought a new Gen.3 G23. I do not like the Gen. 4. However, my glocks are customized.

Last edited by PghJim; 06-13-2011 at 02:08..
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:39   #10
youngbuck
He's Tyrone!

The G23 was my 2nd gun purchase. I found the lighter frame in the .40 effected my shooting ability. I prefer 9mm/.45ACP when it comes to Glock. A 229 in .40 was the replacement for the G23. I preferred the added weight of the Sig and really liked it in my hands. I now carry a Sig 239 in .40 just because I preferred the slimmer frame but wanted the added weight.

Since money is no issue then the major issues for you are:
1) Weight
2) Trigger Pull (Glock vs DA/SA) [Trigger work can be done to improve the Sig pull. Mine is super smooth after a touch up from Sig themself]
3) *Perhaps recoil
youngbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:07   #11
collim1
Shower Time!

I vote Sig. The .40 shoots much better out of an all metal gun IMO.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:39   #12
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Sig is heavier. Round count is a toss up with the right mags.

Sig in DA/SA has a decocker. DAO no de-cocker.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:22   #13
RRTX11

do some research on the SIG SRT (short reset trigger). If I would purchase a SIG, it would have to have the SRT. I have shot with and without the SRT and the SRT is a very good trigger.
RRTX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:46   #14
cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghFrank View Post
I am in the market for a .40 handgun. I currently carry a G19 and G26, depending on how I am dressed. I am going back and forth between a Sig 229 in 40, or a Glock 23, Gen 4, and am looking for your opinion on which you would select and why.

I have funds availiable that I can buy either, so cost is not an issue. I know the Sig is much more expensive. I am looking primarily for shootability of the .40. Quality, long term maintenance, and general gun satisfaction are secondary desires, but important. I want to carry IWB.

Thanks,
Frank
I have owned both.

The P229 handles the .40sw much better. It's a larger, heavier gun. It's the better shooter IMO. It's big and heavy for a 12+1 CCW. Sigs are nice, well-finished guns. Not worth the price IMO.

The G23 carries better. It's a smaller, lighter gun that's 13+1. Much more comfy as a CCW. But, I did not enjoy shooting it with full power loads. The less you shoot two-hand, aimed, slow-fire with full power loads the more you'll notice. Glocks are cheap, reliable guns and a great value at the price IMO.
- When I was strong they came for the weak but I did nothing. Now I am weak and they come for me.

Last edited by cole; 06-13-2011 at 11:48..
cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 18:19   #15
beatcop

I've carried the sig on duty and a g-19...give me back my glock! The sig is a boat anchor!

I like the higher bore axis of the glock...the sig shoots well, but I'd rather have the cheaper mags, smaller grip, etc.

My old sig had no tac rail and the grip checkering wore down a little too smooth for my liking. I like the holster selection and parts availibilty also....what did I leave out?
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 18:36   #16
Edmo01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghFrank View Post

Thanks,
Frank
Skip the 40 and get (read: upgrade to) a Glock 30...

It is a smidge smaller than the G23 with a slightly chubbier slide width. However, it is chambered in the benchmark caliber: 45 ACP . I love mine and alternate between it and a G27 for concealed carry.

Between the two pistols you listed, I would get the G23. Same ergonomics as your other two Glocks so it will be familar in a stressful situation. Additionally, it uses the same holsters and mag carriers as your G19. Lastly, you can't beat Glock Perfection!

Edmo
Edmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 19:57   #17
James Dean

I own both and for me nothing shoots a .40 like my Sig P229. My Sig make a .40 recoil feel like a 9MM out of my Glock. For carry its a Glock. If you pick the Sig for CCW take a look at the P229 SAS.
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:05   #18
up1911fan

The P229 would be my choice in a .40, I carried one for two years in a Kramer #3.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 13:22   #19
harrygunner

Sig's better quality shows.

A Sig P229 (in 40S&W) was my main carry gun around town. The gun has been 100% reliable for nearly a decade and is a very accurate shooter.

Since the P229 is a thick gun, I went with a thin holster, a CompTAC CTAC IWB on a "The Beltman" belt. With that setup, it conceals as well as any other handgun.

I learned to ignore the DA/SA trigger and focus on maintaining the sight picture for every pull. I used it for training sessions for many years and shot well with it.

My daughter liked it, so I gave it to her.
harrygunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 15:46   #20
matt86
Oink Oink

Send a message via AIM to matt86
I'd buy the Sig P229... Great gun hands down.

I carry a Sig as my duty weapon and went through a week class with over 1000 rounds fired with no cleaning and no problems. Its an accurate, reliable, badass looking gun and I CCW mine daily.

HOWEVER, my sig was provided by the department. If I was going to buy my own gun honestly I'd probably go with a Glock 23 just because I can get the Glock 23 for half the price of the Sig. If money is no option sig all the way.