Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:39   #1
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member

Ex-BART leo freed from prison after 11 months for manslaugter conviction.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/13...est=latestnews

Hopefully, he can put this behind him and enjoy his wife and new child.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Po...of_Oscar_Grant
ICARRY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:59   #2
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

I'm glad he's out. Poor guy. Sure as hell didn't deserve to be branded a criminal for doing his job... liability falls on the POS that was resisting LE and a failure to train on the part of his agency...

Quote:
"There's much rage in our community," he said. "It's a shame that our children still have fear from police officers that come into our communities."
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:16   #3
siblueg
Gray Area

Sucks for everyone who was involved.
siblueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:31   #4
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

I'm glad he is out. I wish him the best.

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:19   #5
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

I'm glad he's out as well, however, he was criminally negligent, he shot a man he meant to taze.
Some people do not belong in this line of work becasue they vaporlock under stress I am sorry that he had to find that out on the job.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:49   #6
Narc1911
Anchora Salutis

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
I'm glad he's out as well, however, he was criminally negligent, he shot a man he meant to taze.
Some people do not belong in this line of work becasue they vaporlock under stress I am sorry that he had to find that out on the job.
I agree
Narc1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 13:51   #7
ray9898

I really hate that he destroyed his life in the blink of an eye but his mistake killed someone. I understand how the mistake happened however I still expect more than that from a trained LE officer. Hopefully he can get on the right track and move on to do sort of good in the world.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 19:26   #8
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

I said it in the original thread and I'll say it again: His second mistake was resigning. If he'd made the agency move against him instead of quitting, he'd have had a lot stronger argument during trial that his actions were the result of a training failure. That was the most important lesson I learned and I suggest we all take it to heart. Never resign. Make them fire you and defend their decision. Accidently killing a guy in the line of duty is tragic. Going to prison for it is more so. Glad he's out.
Old 06-13-2011, 22:11   #9
CAcop

I would be on the first Greyhound to Idaho if I were him. If he stays anywhere near the Bay Area his is a marked man.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 22:21   #10
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I'm glad he's out. Poor guy. Sure as hell didn't deserve to be branded a criminal for doing his job... liability falls on the POS that was resisting LE and a failure to train on the part of his agency...

You'd be singin' a very different tune if this idiot wasn't an LEO.

Or if the victim was your son.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 22:53   #11
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post
You'd be singin' a very different tune if this idiot wasn't an LEO.

Or if the victim was your son.
We'd all be singing a different tune if Oscar Grant et al had followed the lawful orders of the police officers that night.
Old 06-14-2011, 00:33   #12
Mister_Beefy
Legal & Proper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcop761 View Post
We'd all be singing a different tune if Oscar Grant et al had followed the lawful orders of the police officers that night.

oh, shut up.

the man died because the cop was negligent. I suppose you think women who are raped should expect it because they have breasts and wear skirts.

yeah, poor helpless cop was a victim of circumstance.

We'd all be singing a different tune if the nitwit could tell the difference between at tazer and a firearm.

moreover, we'd all be singing a different tune if he had become a bus driver or accountant rather than a cop.

you know, we'd all be singing a different tune if the yellowstone caldera had erupted and killed us all the day before this happened.

you make me sick
Mister_Beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:00   #13
ricklee4570

We all realize that he did not do it intentionally. But it was negligent. Along the same lines of a person who isnt paying attention while driving and runs over someone.

I know a man who was having gasoline stolen from his property (he had a trucking business). He was 67 years old. He called the police at least weekly to complain about the theft. One day he looks out the window and sees two guys pumping fuel out of one of the big tanks. He grabs his shotgun and shoots into the bushes to scare them away. His thinking was that it would teach them a lesson and they wont return. He knew they would be gone before the cops could get there.

Turns out that these two scumbags had brought their two teenage sons with them. They were hiding in the bushes. One of them dies.

He was sentenced to 8 years in prison for manslaughter. It was a death sentence for him. He died in prison two years later of a heart attack.

This cop got off lucky compared to a lot of others.

Last edited by ricklee4570; 06-14-2011 at 03:00..
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:56   #14
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
you make me sick
Then I would make you vomit pea soup.

Go away little man. When you decide to FACTUALLY review the ENTIRE case, you will see culpability with both parties involved. Or in a math equation, 1+1=2/an unfortunate incident. Then come back and post in a rational manner rather than knee jerk reactionary dribble.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:08   #15
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post
You'd be singin' a very different tune ... if the victim was your son.
I would raise my son to not be a piece of ****.

That incident was completely instigated by the deceased, therefore, he is ultimately responsible for his own demise. Sure, the officer pulled the trigger, but the officer was inserted in that situation by the actions of the deceased.

I've never had a cop prone me out and shoot me in the back. Know why?
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:25   #16
ricklee4570

Here is one for ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOI9ahGxMfk

If the suspect were to have died, should the cop do time?
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:25   #17
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
I'm glad someone said it.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:45   #18
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
Here is one for ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOI9ahGxMfk

If the suspect were to have died, should the cop do time?
yes! she is another that should not be where she is.
The gun did not go bang by itself, she pulled the trigger.

Much like a guy texting mows down a pedestrian , it's criminal negligence and needs to be punished.

Every year we see more and more get into this line of work now because they need a JOB..This is not a job it's a calling it really is not for everyone no matter what the ADA says, certain people should not pin on the badge, and it has nothing to do with body type it has to do with whats behind the badge, character, integrity and compassion.

Last edited by Mayhem like Me; 06-14-2011 at 06:51..
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:15   #19
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Beefy View Post
oh, shut up.

the man died because the cop was negligent. I suppose you think women who are raped should expect it because they have breasts and wear skirts.

yeah, poor helpless cop was a victim of circumstance.

We'd all be singing a different tune if the nitwit could tell the difference between at tazer and a firearm.

moreover, we'd all be singing a different tune if he had become a bus driver or accountant rather than a cop.

you know, we'd all be singing a different tune if the yellowstone caldera had erupted and killed us all the day before this happened.

you make me sick
If you want to continue this train of thought, start a new thread in the Civil Liberties Issues forum, don't do it here.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:18   #20
RussP

Someone answer this.

What is the procedure for granting an early release from jail/prison? Who makes the final determination?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote