Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-14-2011, 20:58   #1
6.4Powerstroke

glock 2020

I just bought a Glock 20 and I wanted some tips and advice from you guys. I'm looking for a aftermarket barrel for carry and one for hunting. What brand ammo should I use for concealed carry and for hunting? Thanks
6.4Powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:23   #2
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

It seems the three main barrel manufacturers that people use around here are Lone Wolf, KKM, and Storm Lake. Supposedly, the Lone Wolf and Storm Lake have tighter, better supported chambers (that is from Mudrush, who owns Swamp Fox ammo). That being said, MANY people have KKMs around here, and seem very satisfied with them, and use them with some mean loads (that would be you, Kegs). Bar-Sto also makes a great barrel, but they are pretty expensive.

For ammo, turn to Swamp Fox, Buffalo Bore, or Double Tap (in that order, in my opinion). They make hot stuff. They all have stuff that's appropriate for both SD and hunting. If you don't reload, you need to. It will open a whole new world for your Glock 20.

Earlier tonight I made 300 rounds of 10mm that ranged from 180gr powder puff stuff (about like .40S&W) to some 155gr Hornady XTPs and Silvertips that should easily do 1450fps. Reloading the 10mm is a match made in heaven. Buy a cheap Lee setup (or whatever brand) and never look back. Shooting 10mm can become expensive without reloading, and you may never reach its full potential.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:13   #3
6.4Powerstroke

Would I need a ported or compensated barrel?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:06   #4
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.4Powerstroke View Post
You do not need a ported or compensated barrel in my opinion.

For hunting, you may consider a 6" barrel from one of the manufacturers that 21Carrier mentioned. It may require work, however, to get it to cycle as reliably as the stock barrel. Glock also makes a hunting barrel in the 6" length (I know it is blasphemy to even mention a barrel that is not "fully-supported"). The thing about OEM is that it will drop in and work the first time with most any ammo. The downside is that the more generous tolerances of a Glock chamber will abuse brass a bit more. This hasn't been a problem for me. If you are going to want to shoot the heavy 230 grain hardcast or any soft lead, then an AM barrel with traditional rifling will be a better choice.

That is a nice segway to the question about a barrel for SD. I see no reason to go with anything other than the ultra-reliable stock barrel for carry or SD. A lot of guys have an AM barrel for load development, practicing with lead, etc.; but swap back to the OEM for carry. If you search these forums you'll find it littered with guys trying to work out problems with Brand A barrel cycling consistently. I personally don't want to fuss with something that, at best, will approach the cycling reliability of the stock barrel. Not interested. Not even a little bit. There are guys that wholeheartedly disagree with me on this issue, but for SD I am a stock barrel guy.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:07   #5
firemedic1343
Not an Expert!

Quote:
For hunting you may want an extended barrel, there is a minimum barrel length in some areas.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:31   #6
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Welcome to the Forum!

As FireMedic has eluded to there are regulations to hunting that vary from state to state for pistol use...some have certain caliber, power requirements/restrictions, even barrel lengths. Amount of cartridges in the magazine/cylinder...

I have Bar-Sto, Storm Lake & Lone Wolf Dist. barrels and all are Good to Go!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 21:41   #7
PimpStick

I have a KKM Drop-In in my 29. Very good barrel that handles Buffalo Bore and Double Tap very well. Very accurate.
"The green ones make me horny."
PimpStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 14:56   #8
6.4Powerstroke

I have read some bad reviews about lone wolf. From what I read Storm Lake or Bar-Sto seem to be the barrels to buy. Would I go wrong buying either one?
Old 06-17-2011, 18:13   #9
offsidewing

I've had no issues with any of my lone wolf 10mm barrels. I would like to try a KKM, but haven't had a reason to spend more than the cost of a Lone Wolf.
Old 06-17-2011, 18:50   #10
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsidewing View Post
I've had no issues with any of my lone wolf 10mm barrels. I would like to try a KKM, but haven't had a reason to spend more than the cost of a Lone Wolf.
I'll second this comment. I have 3 different Lone Wolf barrels, and all have been flawless! I would not even consider paying more for another brand of barrel.

I use a 6" LW for hunting here in Ohio, we have a minimum length of 5" barrel length restriction. The extra inch adds a little more velocity, and I see that is a good thing. The only other thing I would get is this,

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...M=guide%20rods

and a 20-22LB spring. I have the 22 spring setup and it ejects light and heavy loads from 4-6 feet away
Old 06-18-2011, 09:11   #11
6.4Powerstroke

So Lone Wolf won't warranty the barrel if you use reloaded ammo. I was going to start relaoding once I figured out everything that I need.
Old 06-18-2011, 14:34   #12
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

I have a KKM barrel because KKM had the extended barrel for the G29 in stock. Lone Wolf did not. Storm lake and Bar sto were higher in price and may have been a longer lead time.

The KKM has never failed to please.

I wouldn't bother with 2 separate barrels to hunt/carry with. One barrel will do both. The extra 1 1/2" you're going to get out of the 6" barrel is only going to get you 40 fps out of a 200gr. projectile. It's more power, but not enough for the extra length of the pistol in my opinion.

As for ammo for hunting and ammo for defense, I don't (personally) see how they should be necessarily different. You will likely never get the full power out of 10mm without reloading, and that's what I suggest.

However, if you decide you want to stay with store bought ammo, the Hornady 180 is a good choice for a moderate 10mm load. Buffalo bore sells full power ammo. Swamp Fox is probably the hottest producer out there.

I've been thinking lately about just using my .40 conversion barrel and a factory cartridge in 135gr. for carry and save my 10mm loads and barrel for hunting...

Last edited by Kegs; 06-18-2011 at 14:41..
Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 14:39   #13
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I too have a KKM barrel for my G20sf, shoots well so I'm pleased.
Old 06-18-2011, 14:44   #14
6.4Powerstroke

Can you shoot hot reloads in a factory glock barrel?
Old 06-18-2011, 15:42   #15
6.4Powerstroke

By fully chambered does that mean match grade barrel?
Old 06-18-2011, 23:05   #16
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
I shoot everything through my stock G20 barrel including hot reloads. I don't hot rod my loads like some do, but my barrels have run plenty of warm loads like 200 grainers at 1200+ or 135s at 1700. And all weights in between.

I only run hot loads in new brass, but I would do that with a barrel with a "fully-supported" chamber also.
Old 06-18-2011, 23:12   #17
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
By fully chambered does that mean match grade barrel?
I think you mean "fully supported."

It doesn't necessarily mean match grade. It means that it will have a tighter fit for the cartridge. Also, a stock Glock barrel will have an area at the six o'clock position at the feedramp that is not completely supported. Some aftermarket barrels will have better support in this area.

The Glock barrel is designed with combat in mind. It has more generous chamber dimensions and more clearance at the feedramp to ensure reliable cycling under harsh conditions. That is why I like the stock barrel. It is plenty accurate and functions 100%. Some guys prefer better chamber support. I haven't found that I want/need it.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:06   #18
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
The Glock barrel is designed with mud wrestling in mind. It has more generous chamber dimensions and more clearance at the feedramp to ensure reliable cycling under conditions that result from completely submersing yourself and your gun in mud, opening up the slide in the middle of the mucky bog and loading a cartridge in there. That is why I like the stock barrel. It is plenty accurate and functions 100% even after I go swimming in a muck pit. Some guys prefer better chamber support. I haven't found that I want/need it but that it helps when I go swimming in a mucky swamp first so my brass is supported by detritus under the case to prevent it from blowing out at the feed ramp that protudes beyond the case web of the cartridge.
Fixed that for you - no charge.

Last edited by Kegs; 06-19-2011 at 08:07..
Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:09   #19
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Once.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:29   #20
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
Fixed that for you - no charge.
You and I have butted heads on this one before. I have to admire the creativity though. Chuckles.

So I guess what you are saying is that they work under less-than-optimal conditions. Sounds like what I look for in a SD setup. But that's just me and a small handful of agencies throughout the world that have chosen Glocks as a service pistol.

Tags
10mm, ammo, barrel, glock 20