GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:34   #1
ventura

OH:CCW reform/restaurant carry go to gov.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/

The house and senate both passed a bill that will reform the restrictive car carry in Ohio for those with chl and allow carry for chl holders where alcohol is served. The legislation now goes to the governor whose aides indicate he will sign it.

Last edited by ventura; 06-16-2011 at 08:02..
ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:35   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Well thats good news... I'm assuming you meant "car carry" in that first sentence... What are the current rules? I remember when OH's law passed, and you guys had the "Buckeye Tuck".. a CHL allowed concealed carry outside a vehicle, but when driving, a weapon had to be carried openly. I thought that had been repealed a while ago though.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:03   #3
abimelech

I know one provision of the new law does allow you carry concealed (assuming you have the CHL) into a bar or restaurant that has a Class D license providing you do not partake of the alcohol. My nephew is a Chief of Police in small NE OH community and informed me if one has a CHL you can carry in the auto. That said, Cincinnati police generally will make your day miserable if you are stopped and found to carrying even legally. They don't seem to be fond of the concealed carry law.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:01   #4
ventura

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Well thats good news... I'm assuming you meant "car carry" in that first sentence... What are the current rules? I remember when OH's law passed, and you guys had the "Buckeye Tuck".. a CHL allowed concealed carry outside a vehicle, but when driving, a weapon had to be carried openly. I thought that had been repealed a while ago though.

IGF
Yes, the 'buckeye tuck' is thankfully gone, but we still have to carry the gun in a holster on our body or basically in a closed case if off body in a car and not allowed to touch the gun while in the car... those things will be gone with the new legislation.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:44   #5
cowboy1964

FINALLY! I hope Kasich signs it forthwith.

The buckeye tuck thing was incredibly stupid. It was going to be such a hassle that I actually waited to get my CHL until that was fixed.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 06-16-2011 at 09:47..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 00:13   #6
cowboy1964

Well it's been over a week, has he signed it yet or is he going to just let it default take effect?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:33   #7
ventura

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Well it's been over a week, has he signed it yet or is he going to just let it default take effect?
Good question cowboy. The silence is beginning to sound deafening. No one seems to even know if the legislation had actually even gone to the governor yet. It was finally signed by the speakers of the house and the senate on Wednesday this week... since then still no word about it going to Kasich yet??????
Old 06-24-2011, 05:48   #8
firedog978

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimelech View Post
I know one provision of the new law does allow you carry concealed (assuming you have the CHL) into a bar or restaurant that has a Class D license providing you do not partake of the alcohol. My nephew is a Chief of Police in small NE OH community and informed me if one has a CHL you can carry in the auto. That said, Cincinnati police generally will make your day miserable if you are stopped and found to carrying even legally. They don't seem to be fond of the concealed carry law.
Please don't paint with such a wide brush abimelech! I've lived in Cincinnati/suburbs all my life. I worked closely with the CPD for over 30 years. I have many friends and relatives on CPD. I can assure you, the majority of Cinci. officers will not be out to make your day "miserable". As a matter of fact, two of my CCW instructors were Cinci. police officers. Don't hold the CPD in the same vein as the idiots (council members) running the City.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:11   #9
Gary1911A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I'm beginning to think that. He'll blame it being busy with other things, but he's just covering his ass so he can say he didn't sign it. He's just a professional politician.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 20:52   #10
degoodman
Out of Columbus

Send a message via AIM to degoodman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
I'm beginning to think that. He'll blame it being busy with other things, but he's just covering his ass so he can say he didn't sign it. He's just a professional politician.
Easy guys.

The government really is a big dumb animal. From the time a bill is "passed" to the time that the required signatures are delivered on paper and then recorded and passed on to the next link in the chain can take from 10 to 15 business days, or two to 3 calendar weeks. The various legal "clocks" don't start the minute the vote occurs. It takes time.

For good or for bad, our legislatures statutes for doing business were written in the days where everything was done with ink and quill, and they really haven't been updated to deal with instant electronic gratification.

The bill is passed, and its going to be signed by Kasich in due time. I'd expect the law to take effect sometime around October 1st.

Patience is a virtue...
degoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:55   #11
ventura

Quote:
Originally Posted by degoodman View Post

Patience is a virtue...

...and condescension is not.

Last edited by ventura; 06-26-2011 at 16:58..