SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:46   #1
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Watch for more Mumbai style attacks

al Qaeda is apparently looking into Mumbai style hotel attacks in the UK and possibly in the US.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/hote...s-ncx-20110617
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:55   #2
Akita
gone

I think there's quite a few citizens waiting on them over here.
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:17   #3
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

Anti Al-Qaeda duty...where do I sign up???

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:43   #4
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Well I sure hope that the respective governments are up for defending every major hotel in the country 24/7 because they won't have any armed civilians to help out.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 14:05   #5
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

I'm surprised more Mumbai style attacks haven't happened to date. In some areas of the US they'd likely get stopped short, but in places like the UK where even the cops aren't well equipped for such an incident it'll be disastrous.
Old 06-17-2011, 16:47   #6
jdavionic
NRA Member

Maybe I'm getting too apathetic in my old age or perhaps I've achieved a comfortable level of preps. I don't want to see innocent people killed, obviously. But these threats just make me

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 16:47   #7
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck TX View Post
I'm surprised more Mumbai style attacks haven't happened to date. In some areas of the US they'd likely get stopped short, but in places like the UK where even the cops aren't well equipped for such an incident it'll be disastrous.
That last time I was in London (last July) they had cops all over the place with subguns. They know how to handle terrorist attacks there.

You want to pull a Mubai attack here, go to your basic "gun free zone," a school or college/university that doesn't have armed campus police.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 06-17-2011 at 16:48..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 17:06   #8
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Ever spend the 4th of July in Washington DC?

ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 17:07   #9
SPIN2010
Searching ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Ever spend the 4th of July in Washington DC?

Yes, and that there is funny. Charlestown anyone?
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:13   #10
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Well, in Los Angeles, there won't be any armed civilians but there will be a lot of LAPD coppers and they have the manpower and resources to adequately respond, just not before it is well underway.

In a smaller town with a smaller police department, then you can have a way better chance to pulling off a caper like this and get away with way more casualties.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:25   #11
RatDrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
In a smaller town with a smaller police department, then you can have a way better chance to pulling off a caper like this and get away with way more casualties.
Unless a local, who trains hard and is always prepared, puts an end to their party
RatDrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:31   #12
wjv

From Wikipedia (Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; no copyright issue)

Method

The attackers had planned the attack several months ahead of time and knew some areas well enough for the attackers to vanish, and reappear after security forces had left. Several sources have quoted Kasab telling the police that the group received help from Mumbai residents.[107][108] The attackers used at least three SIM cards purchased on the Indian side of the border with Bangladesh.[109] There were also reports of a SIM card purchased in the US state New Jersey.[110] Police had also mentioned that Faheem Ansari, an Indian Lashkar operative who had been arrested in February 2008, had scouted the Mumbai targets for the November attacks.[111] Later, the police arrested two Indian suspects, Mikhtar Ahmad, who is from Srinagar in Kashmir, and Tausif Rehman, a resident of Kolkata. They supplied the SIM cards, one in Calcutta, and the other in New Delhi.[112]

Type 86 Grenades made by China's state-owned Norinco were used in the attacks.[113]

Blood tests on the attackers indicate that they had taken cocaine and LSD during the attacks, to sustain their energy and stay awake for 50 hours. Police say that they found syringes on the scenes of the attacks. There were also indications that they had been taking steroids.[114] The gunman who survived said that the attackers had used Google Earth to familiarise themselves with the locations of buildings used in the attacks.[115]

There were ten gunmen, nine of whom were subsequently shot dead and one captured by security forces.[116][117] Witnesses reported that they looked to be in their early twenties, wore black t-shirts and jeans, and that they smiled and looked happy as they shot their victims.[118]

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 14:03   #13
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatDrall View Post
Unless a local, who trains hard and is always prepared, puts an end to their party
Rambo?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 15:37   #14
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Rambo?
They're all dead Johnny.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 15:53   #15
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck TX View Post
+1

I've said the same about IED's and roadside bombs with no real argument from anyone except..."the bad guys get here, turn out to like our way of life, and then change their minds".

As far as hotel shootings and such, this is why I ALWAYS have my Draco in my GHB. It helps turn cover into concealment. Plus a couple armed with at least 9mm's would be a nightmare for mass shooters...armed with shotguns even moreso. But I refuse to pay $600+ for Serbu's just on principle.

As stated earlier, college campuses are plump and juicy targets for terrorists. It would be fairly easy to bomb/shoot up one. Again, no clue why there aren't such attacks going on. All that's needed is a gun and some ammo along with a true hatred for our way of life and there seems to be entire countries filled with such people. I certainly do not WANT it to happen mind you but why it hasn't happened is baffling.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 16:27   #16
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
I certainly do not WANT it to happen mind you but why it hasn't happened is baffling.

-Emt1581
I agree. I know the enemy measures time different than we do. If a victory takes centuries, they don't see that as a problem. However I would just think there are so many easy or soft targets that require little money or planning to be effective.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 16:39   #17
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
I agree. I know the enemy measures time different than we do. If a victory takes centuries, they don't see that as a problem. However I would just think there are so many easy or soft targets that require little money or planning to be effective.
Exactly. Winning by attrition is one thing but it's almost like they are either wussing out or waiting for a higher power to do it for them through disease, natural disaster, etc...

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 16:50   #18
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatDrall View Post
Rambo, John McClain, Master Chief Casey Ryback, and that annoying Kid from Home Alone are all nice Hollywood fiction, but the lone hero that takes on a whole determined team of baddies is not likely to fare too well in the real world without a high degree of skill and a lot of luck.

What do you guys carry EDC? I am not loaded for bear when I am not working. I used to carry a lot more but lately, I have lightened my off duty carry to a pocket pistol with 7+1 9mm in the gun and a 7 round reload. Hardly enough to take on a team of terrorists wielding AK-47's and even shotguns unless I cannabalize and take guns off each dead bad guy.

You really expect some lone local off duty cop or even on duty cop to take on a massive attack such as that in Mumbai with multiple locations and multiple teams with assault rifles and explosives?

He might take a few bastards with him but killing all of them and putting an end to the whole fight is unlikely.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:44   #19
rj1939

I could be in trouble when/if they start targeting Super 8.

No matter how cynical I get, I can't seem to keep up
rj1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:44   #20
RatDrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Rambo?
Yeah, it turns out that non ninja/specops/swat/leo/whatevercoolfantasy dudes can kill badguys too, they just have to train for what comes their way. In fact, there are actually places now where lowly civilians can go to learn how to do dangerous things to bad people

http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/
RatDrall is offline   Reply With Quote