GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 12:29   #1
Tranquillity
Glockaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 109
How many rounds?

Hey everyone. I have a Gen4 19 with about 280 rounds through it, with one FTE from a WWB round. That was with the 03 spring, and since then I've fired around 75 rds with the 04 spring with no problems. I haven't carried the gun yet, and just bought some Gold Dot 124gr +p for it. The first 20 rds I put through the gun were standard 124gr Gold Dots and they ran fine.

How many rounds of the +p ammo would you run through the gun before you deemed it trustworthy in the gun? I know that's an opinionated question. So far, I trust my Glock, and I trust the reputation of the Gold Dots. Does anyone have experience running this ammo through the gen4s? I only bought 60 rounds, since money is a little tight right now. I'd like to carry the gun topped off with 16 rounds, and have a spare mag of 15, leaving me with 29 rounds to test in the gun at the range. Thoughts?
Tranquillity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 13:31   #2
collim1
Shower Time!
 
collim1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 10,325
I shoot Blazer and Lawman mostly. If a gun runs fine through 200rds of FMJ and a mag full of Gold Dot I load it up and carry it after a cleaning.


SD ammo is high, I cant afford to shoot tons of it. The Lawman FMJ is loaded and shaped to the comparable Gold Dot round, so I am comfortable trusting it.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 14:34   #3
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,930
A few dozen of the Gold Dots is probably fine if there are no issues with other ammo. The Lawman ammo is supposed to be loaded very close to the Gold Dots so that stuff is a good cross-check and costs about half as much. Testing from the same box that you will be carrying is always a good idea (to make sure there are no issues with that particular lot of ammo). If you're going to carry 124+P try to find practice ammo that feels close to that in terms of recoil. NATO 124+P is close but is a little more expensive than the absolute cheapest stuff.

The great thing about Glocks is if they work fine they will most likely feed anything. Rarely does one hear about a specific ammo causing problem as far as the bullet shape goes (and those tend to be .45 ACP related).

Last edited by cowboy1964; 06-19-2011 at 14:37..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 16:21   #4
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquillity View Post
...Does anyone have experience running this ammo through the gen4s?...

About a thousand +p & +p+ is my Gen4 G19 is all. That enough?

With the Gen4 G19 the problem is with light range ammo and not full house self defense loads. No more than a box is needed of QUALITY SELF DEFENSE ammo to check reliability & POA for a 9mm Glock IMO.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 17:13   #5
Tranquillity
Glockaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I shoot Blazer and Lawman mostly. If a gun runs fine through 200rds of FMJ and a mag full of Gold Dot I load it up and carry it after a cleaning.


SD ammo is high, I cant afford to shoot tons of it. The Lawman FMJ is loaded and shaped to the comparable Gold Dot round, so I am comfortable trusting it.
Thanks for the tip...didn't know that about the Lawman ammo. SD ammo is crazy expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
A few dozen of the Gold Dots is probably fine if there are no issues with other ammo. The Lawman ammo is supposed to be loaded very close to the Gold Dots so that stuff is a good cross-check and costs about half as much. Testing from the same box that you will be carrying is always a good idea (to make sure there are no issues with that particular lot of ammo). If you're going to carry 124+P try to find practice ammo that feels close to that in terms of recoil. NATO 124+P is close but is a little more expensive than the absolute cheapest stuff.

The great thing about Glocks is if they work fine they will most likely feed anything. Rarely does one hear about a specific ammo causing problem as far as the bullet shape goes (and those tend to be .45 ACP related).
Thanks cowboy. That's two for the Lawman ammo, huh. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I was thinking that was true about feeding the Glocks. 20 rounds of regular Gold Dots and about 250 of WWB/Federal etc has me feeling pretty good about running a few dozen +p's and loading up with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
About a thousand +p & +p+ is my Gen4 G19 is all. That enough?

With the Gen4 G19 the problem is with light range ammo and not full house self defense loads. No more than a box is needed of QUALITY SELF DEFENSE ammo to check reliability & POA for a 9mm Glock IMO.
That's enough for me! Yea, I've read a lot about the light range ammo being the problem, and the gun being meant to shoot SD loads. Seems like the general consensus here is not to go too crazy on testing the +p ammo.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Tranquillity; 06-19-2011 at 17:14..
Tranquillity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 17:23   #6
collim1
Shower Time!
 
collim1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 10,325
I shoot a ton of Blazer, and in my experience if a gun feeds Blazer aluminum, it will feed darn near anything except a defective round.

Then again I don't play with finicky guns.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 17:27   #7
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester
 
HotRoderX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,297
Since the failer was with WWB I would not sweat it. I would put atleast 100 rounds of my carry ammo thought it. That runs good I trust it but thats just me.
__________________
Glock needs to grow up and stop playing games with its customers.
Glock Finally Recalls RSA on the Gen4 About Time.
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,186
298 Members
888 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42