SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:45   #1
oily_oink
###########

Falling Skies anyone?

Did anyone catch the start of new TNT series "Falling Skies"?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:22   #2
FatBoy

DVR'ed it. I'll try to watch it later this week. Also, DVR'ed Outcasts on BBCA. Honestly, I'm not sure I'll have time to get into too many shows.

FB

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:10   #3
Riggs83

I caught the show and it was pretty good I plan to watch it again next Sunday. I expected there to be more aliens and the show to be more like Terminator or Battle LA where it was very dangerous to be visable outside.
Riggs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:31   #4
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

I DVR'ed it and watched it last night. I liked it, and its not bad for a cable TV show. I'm not sure it going to last. Remind me of Jericho in the sense that its a great story , but will it have wide appeal, and can the writers keep it going for more than one season.

In terms of S&P I can see a situation where all that is left is small roving bands of humans after an alien invasion. Sort of like the American Indians, the Aliens come and kicked the heck out of us, then force what is left of the humans to move into places the Aliens have not settled yet. It seems the goal of the aliens is to keep hitting large groups of human resistance. They mentioned that the aliens are able to pick up groups larger then 300 and are attacking them, but so far are ignoring smaller groups. In terms of a military invasion, that makes sense. The Aliens are killing what can be a threat and they can always get the small stuff later.

I wonder what the enslavement of the kids means, and what the story is going to be behind that. Are they going to keep some humans around as a slave population, or will the kid slaves be used as weapons against the rest of the humans?

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 06-21-2011 at 09:21..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:42   #5
MajorAmby

Yeah watched it. From an S/P standpoint its actually not too bad. The story is pretty good too. We'll have to see, the previews for the rest of the season makes it look better than the pilot itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MajorAmby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:23   #6
Donn57
Just me

Watched it. Liked it. Past experience therefore dictates it won't be around long.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:05   #7
Riggs83

Thats the shame of the show....how long can the writers keep the audience entertained and the story going? I can see the show only going a few seasons but I guess we never know. Eventually you would have to conclude with the humans winning. I will support it by watching this and The Walking Dead when it comes back

Last edited by Riggs83; 06-21-2011 at 11:06..
Old 06-21-2011, 11:36   #8
Akita
gone

My main problem with it was all those adults that considered themselves noncombatants.
GET A RIFLE and fight for your lives, you miserable sheep!

Last edited by Akita; 06-21-2011 at 11:36..
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:52   #9
Riggs83

Akita, that is so true!! I thought about that while watching the show and I forgot to mention it. You have a 13 year old fighter and then you have middle aged men who are just sheep!!! It was very ridiculous! Of the 300 people or so atleast 200 should be able to fight. The only ones who shouldn't are those who are really not physically able to but I'm sure they can provide other assistance to the fighters.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:53   #10
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita View Post
My main problem with it was all those adults that considered themselves noncombatants.
GET A RIFLE and fight for your lives, you miserable sheep!
You sound like that one leader on the show when he gave the remarks to the Doctor chic. Remember EVERY military has non combatant support personnel. I think the Ratio in the US military is something like 8 support personnel to every 1 combat soldier. They showed a lot of kids and old folks who are simply unfit for combat. Also you still need people to cook, repair clothing, provide basic defense of home base while the other guys are fighting, care for the soldiers kids, etc.

Honestly if it really happened today, I would say more then half of the adult population of the USA would be completely unfit for combat. They are better off staying behind and being support. Stay out of the way, it would only slow the fighting force down.

What I like to see is what is up with that 13 year old boy, who was part of the soldier team and freaked out over the dog. Is he one of those airsoft kids that has a fast education on the real thing when the invasion started , or is he the son of someone in the military who gave him a lot of hands on firearms training prior to the invasion.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 06-21-2011 at 11:55..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 13:26   #11
MajorAmby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
What I like to see is what is up with that 13 year old boy, who was part of the soldier team and freaked out over the dog. Is he one of those airsoft kids that has a fast education on the real thing when the invasion started , or is he the son of someone in the military who gave him a lot of hands on firearms training prior to the invasion.
He probably qualified by playing too much COD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MajorAmby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 14:03   #12
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

Did anyone catch the Tactical Wheelbarrow at the beginning?

Between that and mag/clip thing you'd think the writers were from GT.

Quote:
I DVR'ed it and watched it last night. I liked it, and its not bad for a cable TV show. I'm not sure it going to last. Remind me of Jericho in the sense that its a great story , but will it have wide appeal, and can the writers keep it going for more than one season.
Jericho, I think, could have had at least 3 good full-length seasons in it had it been allowed to run its natural course. The only season that was a real season was the first. The second was only a partial (not even a half season) where they brought it back for them to rush it through for a wrap up. Then they wrote that whole portion with a wide open ending hoping it would be picked up again. Which, of course, it wasn't. Hell it was just starting to get good. Would have liked to have seen what it would have been had it never been canceled in the first place.
Old 06-21-2011, 15:22   #13
cowboy1964

It's like The Walking Dead but with aliens instead of zombies.

I'll be watching it.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 15:57   #14
fx77
CLM Number 232
Charter Lifetime Member

Liked it so far. We will see.
fx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 17:34   #15
88MPH
RON PAUL 2012

Loved it. Jericho meet Independence Day.

Stupid side note, did anyone notice the sound of the main characters full auto AK? It was way off.

Second stupid side note, why is it that everyone was able to obtain an exotic full auto weapon? I saw a UMP, Uzi, full auto AK, full auto m4s (possibly taken from police and .mil as suggested by the hero). I didn't see many average-Joe guns.
88MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 17:54   #16
Akita
gone

Quote:
You sound like that one leader on the show when he gave the remarks to the Doctor chic. Remember EVERY military has non combatant support personnel. I think the Ratio in the US military is something like 8 support personnel to every 1 combat soldier. They showed a lot of kids and old folks who are simply unfit for combat. Also you still need people to cook, repair clothing, provide basic defense of home base while the other guys are fighting, care for the soldiers kids, etc....
I cant believe this is an item for a debate. I guess I should have known; it IS the internet.
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 18:22   #17
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

caught part of it. thought it was ok... but trying to avoid getting into another show. i'm eagerly awaiting walking dead's next season!
Old 06-21-2011, 21:06   #18
bcowen22001

Send a message via Yahoo to bcowen22001
Its pretty funny. We will be at war with aliens. Think about it!!!!
bcowen22001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:10   #19
oily_oink
###########

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck TX View Post
Jericho, I think, could have had at least 3 good full-length seasons in it had it been allowed to run its natural course.
I agree! My Family loved watching "Jericho". We really wanted to see more!!! But at least we have more "The Walking Dead" to look forward to. It's a definite hit with my household!!!

I'm still up in the air with "Falling Skies" though. Camping out in the open & playing soccer, with Aliens flying around? Hitting an Armory that should have been 99.9% looted when all that started? Then going back again??? Better yet, what about that store that looked to be very well stocked with food? I'm sure that place would have been 100% looted after any kind of disaster! I could keep going on about this, but we'll see what happens in future episodes before I do.

Last edited by oily_oink; 06-22-2011 at 02:12..
oily_oink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:12   #20
cowboy1964

Yeah I liked the scene where they're all out in the daytime walking up the street to get out of town and you can clearly see in the background the big "mothership" or whatever that was and all the little alien craft flying around. What, the aliens don't look out their windows? LOL. I think they tried to explain that by saying the aliens only go after groups of people of 500 or more, so that's why they were splitting into smaller groups.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote