Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 13:46   #1
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Job offer from New Jersey

I read that private citizen carry in New Jersey is suppose to be available under certain circumstances, but that it is NEVER approved unless you work in a capicity that requires a gun to be carried. Anyone know of a way around this? I need to be able to carry in case my attacker is released from prison. Is there anything in the works to be friendlier to gun owners?

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Old 06-28-2011, 14:06   #2
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

It is not going to happen - even with your attacker dreaming up ways to make your life hell, UNLESS you contact an attorney. Evan Nappan is one of the go-to guys in NJ.

http://www.evannappen.com/

'Drew
Old 06-28-2011, 14:13   #3
gommer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Glock View Post
I read that private citizen carry in New Jersey is suppose to be available under certain circumstances, but that it is NEVER approved unless you work in a capicity that requires a gun to be carried. Anyone know of a way around this? I need to be able to carry in case my attacker is released from prison. Is there anything in the works to be friendlier to gun owners?
Even if you do get it - NJ is not carry friendly. Expect to be harassed.

About a year ago a fella was arrested for having his guns locked in his TRUNK! The guns were secured and he still went to jail.

So stupid.

No such thing as liberty in some parts of this country. :(
Old 06-28-2011, 15:14   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gommer View Post
Even if you do get it - NJ is not carry friendly. Expect to be harassed.

About a year ago a fella was arrested for having his guns locked in his TRUNK! The guns were secured and he still went to jail.

So stupid.

No such thing as liberty in some parts of this country. :(
Little more to the story in NJ than that... be honest now. Regardless, it was a situation blown out of proportion by all parties (the gun owner, his mother, and the police)... I believe he was actually convicted, then was released after his conviction was overturned.

I would avoid going to NJ unless I absolutely had to. I'm assuming you feel you have to go back there to visit family/friends, or on business? Given your circumstances, and the fact the state of NJ is basically going to expect you to hope it doesn't happen again... Avoid going there at all costs.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
Old 06-28-2011, 15:45   #5
BamaBud
NRA Life Member

I can only speak from my personal experience.

I moved to NJ about 25 years ago. I called the PD in the township where I bought a house. I asked how to apply for a carry permit. The clerk asked if I owned a jewelry store or was a diamond merchant. I told her no, and she said I couldn't get one. Period.

I asked who did I need to talk to, and she referred me to the chief of police.

I went down and asked to talk to him. He wanted to know why I wanted one. I told him that I had had a permit and carried daily for over 20 years and wanted to continue in my new hometown.

He asked the same questions as the clerk, then said: I'm not giving you one." When I asked why, he said: "Yoou haven't given me a reason you should have one." He then said "It would be best if you shipped all your guns back home, because you don't need them here."

I left NJ as soon as I could.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by BamaBud; 06-28-2011 at 15:46.. Reason: typo
Old 06-28-2011, 16:34   #6
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Maybe my arguement will be more convincing. I will even go as far as to take in a mugshot of my attacker. I will do all possible to accomplish it if we DO move there. The job offer is good, though not sure if it will be enough considering the high tax rates.

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Old 06-28-2011, 16:39   #7
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

No job offer and no amount of money in the world would be enough to make me move to that hell hole. Ditto for a number of other states that impede upon their citizens basic rights.
Old 06-28-2011, 16:40   #8
Deaf Smith

Why are you still in NJ?

My wife's sister just got the heck out of Dodge (or should I say Camen) and now has a house in Dallas.

This weekend I take her shooting! Yep I take a Yankee shooting!

Like the old song says,

"There's a place up ahead and I'm goin' just as fast as my feet can fly
Come away, come away if you're goin', leave the sinkin' ship behind."

Deaf
Old 06-28-2011, 16:42   #9
76again

Quote:
Maybe my argument will be more convincing. I will even go as far as to take in a mugshot of my attacker. I will do all possible to accomplish it if we DO move there. The job offer is good, though not sure if it will be enough considering the high tax rates.
Any way to telecommute ? Live in a slightly less repulsive PA and visit NJ only when necessary. Meetings via the net, face to face once a month.

As for the taxes - they will go nowhere but up.

I wouldn't even bother with the mugshot. Look elsewhere, for freedom.
Old 06-28-2011, 16:49   #10
MyNewGlock23

Since it appears that nobody that has replied so far is currently living in NJ, let me say as they have said...FORGET IT. If you get one as a civilian, not working as an armed guard it's going to cost you...A LOT! Even as a security guard, you'll have to pay a nice piece of change to acquire a carry permit (roughly $3k) - AND you will only be able to carry to/from work and during the course of your duties.

"I'm a firm believer the distinct "click-clack" noise coming from the unknown dark being better than any laxatives ever made." repoman1984 :rofl:
Old 06-28-2011, 17:18   #11
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Realistically, the only way you will be able to carry in NJ is you get a job as a Cop or you are well connected politically. I know it suck, but that is the BS that is NJ gun laws.
Old 06-28-2011, 17:23   #12
GeorgiaRedfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerPredator View Post
No job offer and no amount of money in the world would be enough to make me move to that hell hole. Ditto for a number of other states that impede upon their citizens basic rights.
This, and not just because of the crappy gun laws.
Old 06-28-2011, 17:26   #13
Bogey
CLM Number 242
The Mouth®

Send a message via Yahoo to Bogey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Little more to the story in NJ than that... be honest now. Regardless, it was a situation blown out of proportion by all parties (the gun owner, his mother, and the police)... I believe he was actually convicted, then was released after his conviction was overturned.

I would avoid going to NJ unless I absolutely had to. I'm assuming you feel you have to go back there to visit family/friends, or on business? Given your circumstances, and the fact the state of NJ is basically going to expect you to hope it doesn't happen again... Avoid going there at all costs.

IGF
The Governor either pardoned him, or commuted his sentence.

And basically, at the Police's direction, he was trapped.
Old 06-28-2011, 18:03   #14
MyNewGlock23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
Realistically, the only way you will be able to carry in NJ is you get a job as a Cop or you are well connected politically. I know it suck, but that is the BS that is NJ gun laws.
You do not have to be a cop or be politically cconnected I'm neither and I have a carry permit. It cost me about $3000 for the Armed Security Training Program I took. As a resident and carry permit holder, I will be the last to defend NJ gun laws. The laws here clearlly SUCK!

"I'm a firm believer the distinct "click-clack" noise coming from the unknown dark being better than any laxatives ever made." repoman1984 :rofl:

Last edited by MyNewGlock23; 06-28-2011 at 18:04..
Old 06-28-2011, 18:13   #15
toshbar
Timber Baron

NJ might as well be part of North Korea. I'd never go.
2 4 R

Old 06-28-2011, 18:21   #16
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

OK to NJ?

Don't do it!

Over the years I spent a lot of time in Oklahoma. Great place, wonderful people.

I even spent a little time in NJ....

All I can say is, VISIT FIRST!

My wife and I drove up to the Jackson GSSF shoot recently and the nicest part of the trip was the range and the shooters. Both were fantastic!
The rest of the trip was like, .... well, .... like, uh, tolerating an angry porcupine in my stomach for the whole weekend.

I was totally disarmed for the entire time. My gun and ammo was locked in metal boxes locked in the trunk and I drove exactly the speed limit the whole time. The speed limit, by the way, is about 40 MPH slower the the locals drive. We got NJ smiles and NJ waves (sneers and fingers) from the majority of passers.

I remember a few toll roads in Oklahoma but the toll booths are few and far between and the roads there are in great shape, and the troopers don't even look up from their newspapers.
In NJ a new toll booth appears in front of you before the last one disappears from your review mirror. And the more frequent the toll booths the worse condition the road is in.

Can you imagine, they don't do barbeque?

And the gun laws are just the tip of the iceberg of how people think in NJ. And there are people everywhere? And each person is in a bigger hurry than the last guy.

Maybe visit for a couple weeks and ask your questions to the local officials.
Old 06-28-2011, 18:24   #17
pag23

Stay out of NJ... unfriendly guns laws to a private citizen. Try to live in PA and commute over one of the bridges.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the state to visit friends to do business but I wouldn't even attend a GSSF match there... too much aggravation with transport of firearms and ammo restrictions...
Old 06-28-2011, 18:32   #18
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Maybe my arguement will be more convincing. I will even go as far as to take in a mugshot of my attacker. I will do all possible to accomplish it if we DO move there. The job offer is good, though not sure if it will be enough considering the high tax rates.
Is it somewhere that a commute from PA is out of the question? Yeah, you'd still have to go into the PRNJ unarmed for a time...

I dunno, doesn't seem to be an easy answer to this. Even if the Chief "says" he'll give you a permit, who's to say he actually will once he moves there... or that when a new mayor appoints a new chief, the new chief will give you one?
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
Old 06-28-2011, 18:57   #19
rta108

You can't even buy AMMO in NJ without a state issued "Firearms purchasers ID card," which requires fingerprinting to get. I'm LE, and I'm still required to have one if i want to buy ammo. Don't even ask to look at a gun in a shop, or shoot in most ranges, without one of those cards.
Old 06-28-2011, 20:53   #20
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewGlock23 View Post
Even as a security guard, you'll have to pay a nice piece of change to acquire a carry permit (roughly $3k) - AND you will only be able to carry to/from work and during the course of your duties.
IL is the same way.

Isn't it just plain stupid and bizarre that you CAN carry a gun to protect other people's money, but you CANNOT carry a gun to protect your own life!

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Closed Thread