Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-28-2011, 16:32   #1
DURBANS

Ammo pricing in the USA?

Hey guys, just wanted to share and compare ammo prices, comparing them to what they cost in Peru.

I've already spoken about prices in Peru, you know I paid $1030 for my Glock 25 (US dollars) but not only does it mean a Glock costs twice as much as it does in the States, but there's something else. Remember that the US dollar equals about 3 Peruvian Soles. So my gun was roughly 3000 soles. The thing is, Peruvians earn their money in Soles. In the USA, people earn their money in US dollars of course, so we could easily say that what costs 1 dollar in the USA, say, a chocolate bar, equals what 1 Peruvian Sol can buy you down here, a chocolate bar.

Having this principle in mind, a lot of things come to mind, except of course cars and electronics which are a lot more expensive compared to the US. When I was living in the USA I could go to the movies for about 10-15 bucks depending on the theater and the day of the week (and maybe the place I was in) and here in Peru you can go to the cinema for about 15 soles as well. You get the point.

Now, think of ammo. I don't know how much it costs in the USA, say, a box of 50 Remington .380's. Here, people pay 84 soles for a box of .380's and if you're a cop or in the military (or happen to own a 9mm gun) the price for 9mm Luger is a bit more expensive, of course, cops and the military get discounts and what not. So, if we compare the prices using the above "principle", this means that spending 84 soles for a box of 50 rounds of .380 is "kinda like" spending 84 bucks in the US for the same thing. Now, I'm sure it's A LOT cheaper than that. And lets say, a box will cost you 15-20 bucks (just throwing a number out), that would mean that if that was "real" for Peru, I'd be spending 15-20 soles for a box of ammo.

Hell, I'd be at the range 24/7!!

Last edited by DURBANS; 06-28-2011 at 16:32..
DURBANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 16:35   #2
jjslice

about $15 for a box of 50 FMJ .380's
jjslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 16:38   #3
DURBANS

Fml.

:(
Old 06-28-2011, 16:45   #4
slickt0mmy

I get boxes of 50 9mm FMJ's here all the time for $9-10, depending on what sales are going on. Of course self-defense rounds are more expensive (around $25 for a box of 20) but nowhere near $84.

Last edited by slickt0mmy; 06-28-2011 at 16:45..
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 16:59   #5
tango44

Your post it's really confusing, first you said is 3 to 1 and then 1 to 1????
Try to keep it simple bro, 50 rounds of 9mm here is about $10 a box?
How much in dollars is in Peru?
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 17:01   #6
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

In the states 9mm in usually cheaper than 380 and 40S&W is also often cheaper than 380.
My last centerfire ammo purchase was $32.99 for Remington 180 grain JHP 100 round boxes.
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 18:26   #7
sgtlmj
NRA Life Member

Can you buy reloading components in Peru?
Old 06-28-2011, 18:38   #8
DURBANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango44 View Post
Okay, so 1 dollar equals 3 soles in Peru. But the exchange rate doesn't really matter, if we did a quick conversion, I'm paying 84 soles which equals around 30 bucks, for a box of Remington FMJ's (.380). It's already twice as much as it is in the US.... BUT, keep in mind, Peruvians earn and spend their money in Soles. So basically, 84 soles, is what 84 dollars is to an American.

Here, with 1 sol, you can buy a chocolate bar, same as the US. Here, with 7 soles you buy a pack of cigarettes, same as in the US with 7 dollars. That's what I meant by say that if you count in the factor that we earn soles proportionally to what the living cost is down here, 84 soles, is kinda like spending 84 bucks in the US. That's what I meant.
Old 06-28-2011, 18:49   #9
toshbar
Timber Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlmj View Post
can you buy reloading components in peru?
bingo!!!!1!!!
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 19:00   #10
DURBANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshbar View Post
bingo!!!!1!!!
I'm unsure... but something tells me based on our dumb gun laws, like, for example we can't own anything bigger than .380 and that we aren't allowed to carry hollow point rounds... I dunno about buying reloading equipment. And if there is a way, let's not forget I paid over a grand for a Glock... so it's something pretty expensive for sure.
Old 06-28-2011, 19:04   #11
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango44 View Post
What he is saying is that the exchange rate is 3 Peruvian Soles to 1 US Dollar.

But the cost of living, ie food, going to the movies, ect... in Peru is much less then in the US. For many things what would cost us $1 here in the US you can buy a comparable item in Peru for 1 Sole.

Unfortunately for DURBANS that does not carry over to ammunition and guns.

Durbans what is a normal middle class annual salary in Peru?
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 06-28-2011 at 19:05..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 19:17   #12
DURBANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
What he is saying is that the exchange rate is 3 Peruvian Soles to 1 US Dollar.

But the cost of living, ie food, going to the movies, ect... in Peru is much less then in the US. For many things what would cost us $1 here in the US you can buy a comparable item in Peru for 1 Sole.

Unfortunately for DURBANS that does not carry over to ammunition and guns.

Durbans what is a normal middle class annual salary in Peru?
A middle class Peruvian can earn anything from between 2000 to 3000 soles a month, so you're looking at something between 24,000 to 36,000 a year. Everything is fine since living here ain't that expensive, but things like cars, electronics, etc are quite expensive, so you usually don't see a middle class Peruvian buying a brand new car that often. When I was in the USA I was making 40k a year as a front desk manager in Park City, but rent and food as well as living was a lot more than here in Peru.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:28   #13
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURBANS View Post
I'm unsure... but something tells me based on our dumb gun laws, like, for example we can't own anything bigger than .380 and that we aren't allowed to carry hollow point rounds... I dunno about buying reloading equipment. And if there is a way, let's not forget I paid over a grand for a Glock... so it's something pretty expensive for sure.
Reloading has some up front costs for equipment, but if you can buy components is usually cheaper. If you could cast bullets and pick up brass at the range for free it gets lots cheaper.

When I cast my own bullets my only costs are primer and powder. 1000 primer is $25 and a pound of powder is $25 and is enough for 1500-2000 rounds. So a hundred rounds of .45 acp costs me $3.50 and a few hours of my time.

The big question is if it is legal to do in Peru. Many countries with strict gun control outlaw reloading or place restrictions on how much ammo you can own.
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 06-29-2011 at 03:31..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:40   #14
Tiro Fijo

The U.S. supplies several South American countries with not only money ( $750 million last year to Colombia) but arms & ammo as well. In case you didn't know it your tax dollars bought 99,261 SIG SP2022 pistols for Colombia, plus spare parts packages in the past few years. Total value approx. $306 million. The list is endless. In most of these countries the gov't has a pathological fear of revolution hence they fear the people.

Peru is still recovering from the Fujimori debacle and is basically a corrupt Third World hellhole as are most countries in South America.

Durbans, no te ofendas pero Sudamérica nunca cambiará a causa de la herencia de corrupción heredada de España. Punto.

I saw so much corruption in South America that to this day it boggles my mind.

Vafish, in Colombia a citizen can own firearms, albeit with great difficulty for handguns. The entire process is lengthy and costs about $1,500 dollars. Concealed weapon permit? Next to impossible unless you are politically connected or very wealthy. Nonetheless, the country is awash in arms. Imagine that. Nasty place. But as long as stupid Americans & Europeans crave drugs... You get the picture. Easily half the politicians in South America are on the take. It's almost a rite of passage.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 14:41   #15
Dogguy

"...this means that spending 84 soles for a box of 50 rounds of .380 is "kinda like" spending 84 bucks in the US for the same thing...."

So, I don't suppose you spend much time at the range practicing.
Dogguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 18:20   #16
toshbar
Timber Baron

Dry fire!!!!!!
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:58   #17
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

DURBANS, I'm curious to know if Peru has any indigenous ammo factories? Is there no "local" .380 ammo available from any other Latin country such as Argentina or Chile? I would think that such ammo, if available, would be less expensive than buying U.S. made ammo.
Merkavaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:19   #18
voyager4520
-----

I pay about $19 for a box of 50 rounds of .40SW American Eagle. A 50 round box of .380 American Eagle is about $17. .380 Remington UMC is about the same price.

Those are some crazy prices in Peru. I'm not surprised though, guns in other countries are ridiculously expensive.