GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:55   #1
Gary Slider

North Carolina To Honor All Other States Permit/Licenses?

I have been looking through NC HB 650 to note changes in the new law to add to the NC Page at Handgunlaw.us. The new Law contains the following section. What is in bold is struck through. I can't get the BC Code for Strikethrough to work here. So what is in bold is what is struck from the section. I read it as NC honoring all other states permit/licenses. But I have not heard one word from any NRA Alert, any article I have read or any post about the new law mentioning this. I thought something like this would be mentioned when they talk about this new law. Am I missing something as nothing I have read has mentioned this. Here is a direct link to the HB 650 http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/B...PDF/H650v6.pdf

SECTION 22.(a) G.S. 14-415.24 reads as rewritten:
" 14-415.24. Reciprocity; out-of-state handgun permits.
(a) A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina if that state grants the same right to residents of North Carolina who have valid concealed handgun permits issued pursuant to this Article in their possession while carrying concealed weapons in that state. North Carolina.
(b) The Attorney General shall maintain a registry of states that meet the requirements of this section on the North Carolina Criminal Information Network and make the registry available to law enforcement officers for investigative purposes.
(c) Every 12 months after the effective date of this subsection, the Department of Justice shall make written inquiry of the concealed handgun permitting authorities in each other state as to: (i) whether a North Carolina resident may carry a concealed handgun in their state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit and (ii) whether a North Carolina resident may apply for a concealed handgun permit in that state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. The Department of Justice shall attempt to secure from each state permission for North Carolina residents who hold a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun in that state, either on the basis of the North Carolina permit or on the basis that the North Carolina permit is sufficient to permit the issuance of a similar license or permit by the other state."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Last edited by Gary Slider; 06-29-2011 at 09:55..
Gary Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:36   #2
NC Bullseye

Gary, yes, it appears as the new statute is written that all states permits will be honored. I'm waiting to see how this affects reciprocity for NC residents where they are currently not granted recognition.

Also, just FYI the link to the latest and most likely last version of the statute to be is http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/B...PDF/H650v6.pdf I think the only difference is the showing of the Govs approval but for correctness sake I'll reference the latest version.
NC Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:04   #3
Gary Slider

Maine, Minnesota and Wisconsin are the only states that could be added to the states the NC permit/license is valid in. I believe it would also remove the quirk in NC Reciprocity agreement about only honoring New Hampshire Resident Permit/Licenses. I believe Wisconsin will honor NC when they publish their list of states. That is after the Gov signs their new law and they put out their list.
Maine and Minnesota will be the hold outs as I am not sure how they go about honoring other states.

The law is really not going to change much in who can carry there as NC honored many Non Resident permits and people from states that couldn't get a permit because of May Issue could get one from one of those states and carry in NC with it. But NC would make the 12th state that honor all other states permit/licenses. That is just a little shy of 25% of all states.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Last edited by Gary Slider; 06-29-2011 at 10:06..
Gary Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:41   #4
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

The MN Department of Public Safety has taken the term Subtantially Similar and replaced it with Much More Strict when it comes to honoring out of state permits. But looking at North Carolina's requirements Those should have met the DPS requirements.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote