Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:28   #41
2 Hawks
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

She will need to prepare herself for the task of defending her life, mentally. Read books such as "On Combat" which will explain how you will react to this task. The shooting part takes dedicated training, the combat part takes a little more self determination..The more she knows the better off she'll be..I recommend a revolver, in 38sp...
2 Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:44   #42
donovan655

1) sorry to hear about your fiance's friend. that sounds like a ******* horrible situation. People that think they can have their way with other people need to be, ummmm, corrected in their thinking.

I'd recommend:

Glock 19, 26 gen 3 (flame thread protected)
Ruger sr9
S&W m&p
beretta px4 sub compact.

In my opinion, she should get a G19. It is good for HD and carry (especially in a purse). It is dead nuts reliable regardless of maintenance.

I wouldn't underestimate how little the gun will get taken care of.

I second counseling and maybe a large dog.

Spend the money right the first time. It is cheaper in the end. This will likely be the first and last gun she will ever own. It had better be the best she can possibly get.

Maybe she can sell something to come up with some extra cash. many guns stores also have some layaway and financing options.

Last edited by donovan655; 07-02-2011 at 09:48..
donovan655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:53   #43
carbuncle
is not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
Ruger SR9C, Ruger LC9

Less concealable but still reliable: S&W Sigma(HEAVY trigger), Ruger P-series, police trade-in S&W 3rd Gen.

Taurus revolvers are actually good quality. The only downsides to a revolver are a little heavier trigger pull, less capacity, and how long it takes to reload even with speed loaders.
I agree with all of this: Taurus 85 or any on the above are great choices, as would be the S&W SD9, all available in her price range and all good to go for her needs.

Last edited by carbuncle; 07-02-2011 at 09:54..
carbuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:01   #44
Baba Louie

1. Prayers
2. Counseling
3. CZ-82!!! and direct her to Kathy's site CorneredCat pronto (please)

http://corneredcat.com/

Tell her a bunch of people are rooting for her (Jeez I cannot imagine going thru any of that)

Get the CZ cheap. Ammo too (relatively speaking in the 9Mak)
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...Makarovetc.htm
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:04   #45
FireForged
Millenium #3936

My wife is slight and she like the jframe 38 with pachmyar gripper grips.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:33   #46
Glock21Owner
NRA Life Member

Find a used S&W Model 49, get a few of you guys to chip in and buy it for her
Glock21Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:47   #47
dosei

Kahr CW9
Sig P250
S&W SD9
Ruger SR9/SR9c
EAA Witness/Witness Compact
SA XD9/XD9SC
S&W M&P/M&Pc
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 07-02-2011 at 10:49..
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:54   #48
MrSmoofy

My wife has a 38 special, it's hamerless and she carries it with her in a concelment purse. We also go to the goodwill and fleamarket to get cheap purses so she can practice shooting without putting it out of her purse.
Florida Glocker #104
MrSmoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:59   #49
Wake_jumper

Small revolver with standard 38 spl jhp loads
Big dog
Fox Labs Pepper Spray
... or move far away and don't leave a forwarding address.
Wake_jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:36   #50
sdsnet
CLM Number 43
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
Odd recommendation for a new shooter. Either carry cocked and locked, or manually lower the hammer? Unless you meant one of the decock models?
Although I do own a decocker I did overlook this issue.
Ham Shack Club # 1995
Walther Club # 1995

-My username has nothing to do with Students for Democratic Society-
sdsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:39   #51
sdsnet
CLM Number 43
NRA Member

[QUOTE=Baba Louie;17574350]1. Prayers
2. Counseling
3. CZ-82!!! and direct her to Kathy's site CorneredCat pronto (please)

http://corneredcat.com/

Nice site !
Ham Shack Club # 1995
Walther Club # 1995

-My username has nothing to do with Students for Democratic Society-
sdsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:44   #52
cloudbuster

I agree with the people who have said let her try out a few guns. Find a range that has loaner/rental guns and let her explore a range of guns.

A problem for new shooters is that the guns that are comfortable to shoot frequently don't overlap with the guns that are comfortable to carry. My daughter shoots my L-Frame much better and with more confidence than her J-Frame, but lugging around an L-Frame just isn't a serious option for her.

It's a given that DAO J-Frames are one of the most difficult pistols with which to become proficient, and they're fairly loud and snappy.

Some women are put off by semi-automatics. Some aren't. It's not like it's rocket science. She may take right to it. Don't pre-judge her.

However, I would avoid any semi-automatic with a manual safety -- it seems like a simple thing, but it's the first thing an inexperienced user forgets about (at both ends -- forgetting to put it on when it should be on, and to take it off when it should be off).

See how she reacts at the range. If she's timid, better she have a .32 Auto she's willing to shoot than a 9mm or .38 she's intimidated by.

Note that a lot of .380s are no "softer" or easier to shoot than 9mms because they use straight blowback actions instead of locked breaches. (hi-points, btw, are one of the few 9mms that are straight blowback, so it has recoil out of proportion to its enormous size -- but nothing against hi-points. They're cheap and reliable.).

One of the smallest, simplest, softest-shooting pistols is the KelTec P32 which is a .32 auto with a locked breach, so it has very little felt recoil despite its tiny size. It may not be much of a gun, but if it's all she'll carry, it's better than the one she left home "just this once" because it seemed too inconvenient.

It bears repeating that shot placement is much more important then caliber. Better she can hit him seven times with a small caliber gun than flinch-and-miss with a bigger gun. Let her make the call with what feels good to her.

ETA: OP, if your friend can't afford a gun that you and she feel comfortable with, but if you happen to have a spare of your own that's suitable, loan her yours. You'd hate for something to happen to her because she couldn't come up with the cash, or because she relied on a cheap PoS gun that wasn't reliable, right? You can get it back after she saves up more cash for her own.
"A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges’ assessments of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all." -- Justice Antonin Scalia, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER, June 26, 2008

Last edited by cloudbuster; 07-02-2011 at 11:50..
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:51   #53
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

One thing she needs to do is figure out if she does plan to carry can she use it. No matter how serious she thinks she is, she needs to sit down and really think about what carrying entitles. The last thing she wants to do is be carrying and not willing to use it. Like my instructor told us the only thing worse then being unprepared is prepared and unwilling. If she falls into the prepared but unwilling she just gave her attacker a weapon. Once that is worked out then my guess would be look at the G26 like you said minimal recoil in a tight package. I would also take a look at the Rugers they tend to be a lot of bang for your buck. I would stay away from anything from Tarusus as they seem to be hit and miss. One thing for sure you and your wife need to make sure she gets plenty of range time in, not that you would need a reason to go tot he range.
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:54   #54
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

If(BIG, HUGE, HAIRY IF) she does end up getting a gun and IF she does end up pulling the trigger and sending this guy to hell where he belongs I'd hate to see how it'll all play out in court if they catch wind that you or anyone else helped her get the gun and taught her to use it.
I'm NOT saying that what you're doing is wrong in ANY WAY, I am saying that a smart Lawyer will totally take her apart in the Court room and make this jerks killing look totally premeditated to the point where she may even be brought up on 1st Deg. Murder Charges.

Yes, he's attacked her in the past and has threatened to do so again in the future but a good lawyer COULD say that after she got the gun SHE provoked him into attacking her so she could kill him and that's Premeditation.

I still think there's something that she can do other then picking up a gun even though I'll be the first one to say that a handgun in the right hands is a great equalizer. Just please, be very, very careful if you choose to walk down this path and please, let her get some professional firearms training so she'll be more "Court Proof" if push does come to shove and she off's the guy.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:57   #55
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
The woman isn't the OP's friend; she's a friend of the OP's fiance.

Regardless of their association or relationship the very last thing I'd recommend is becoming involved in a situation that's already resulted in the arrest of the perp. Let law enforcement/prosecution institutions deal with this alleged criminal. And do remember at this stage his criminality has not been adjudicated in a court of law.

What is the "friend" going to do when he initiates a confrontation with an alleged violent offender? What's the "friend" going to do if the perp escalates the confrontation that the "friend" initiated?

Your advice sound like a prescription for potentially very serious legal problems for the "friend" and it's not something I would ever recommend --- unless one is going out of his/her way to look for trouble.
None of which will be believed by the OP until he finds out that the victim has refused to testify in court.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:05   #56
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
Don't get a semi-automatic for someone who doesn't know anything about guns. Get a revolver.
Not by my experiences. I've taught multiple females that were completely new to firearms how to shoot with GLOCK pistols. Revolvers are harder to shoot, with more difficult to learn triggers, worse sights, and more recoil.

The best things about GLOCK pistols are no safety, easy to learn trigger, good sights, easy recoil in 9MM.

Last edited by M&P15T; 07-02-2011 at 12:17..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:09   #57
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
B.S., I've taught multiple females that were completely new to firearms how to shoot with GLOCK pistols. Revolvers are harder to shoot, with more difficult to learn triggers, worse sights, and more recoil.
But revolvers don't get Stove Pipe jams, Failure to Feed, Failure to Eject, you can't accidentally drop the mag out of a revolver under a high stress situation, you can't limp wrist a revolver, you can easily see if your revolver is loaded or unloaded.
For someone not "into" guns a revolver is a much better choice. Heck, my wife has shot for years, all kind of guns and she still feels more comfortable with a revolver. It just depends on the person and how willing they are to learn the manual of arm that goes along with the gun. A revolver has a much simpler manual of arms.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:11   #58
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
B.S., I've taught multiple females that were completely new to firearms how to shoot with GLOCK pistols. Revolvers are harder to shoot, with more difficult to learn triggers, worse sights, and more recoil.
And did those women then buy and carry Glocks? Will they remember how to use them when they haven't shot them in a year and a half? Do they clean the dust bunnies out of them? Did the lipstick in their purse depress the trigger?

Yes, you can show a novice how to shoot an auto. You can show a female novice how to shoot and auto easier than a male novice. Unless they are going to move beyond the novice stage, and shoot once a month and stay trained, a revolver will be a better choice. It can get bounced around in her purse for a decade and all she has to do is point it at the bad guy and sweep the trigger.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:19   #59
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
She should shoot a few different guns and get a feel for how they are. Depending on how much she is going to practice, a revolver is not a bad option. How will she carry? If recoil is problem, an all steel revolver could be the answer.

Don't discount the used market either.
Yes, this. A double action .38 They never fail and are easy to learn. She can practice with loads that are comfortable to shoot and then keep it loaded with a good defensive round. If she has to use it, she won't notice the additional recoil.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:20   #60
GAFinch

If those 18 year old yahoos over in General Glocking can first learn to shoot using a Glock, so can a woman.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote