GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 12:21   #61
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
Don't get a semi-automatic for someone who doesn't know anything about guns. Get a revolver.
I agree. And get them to the range to shoot ALOT. Also loan her the money, if need be, to get a CC permit ASAP. If she's gonna be carrying the gun and possibly be put in a SD situation and possibly have to shoot the guy, she will be in deep dodo if she's just packing "because she's scared".
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:29   #62
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 57,160


I'd recommend to stay out of this volatile situation. It's "he said/she said" right now. Get in the middle of it will cause the OP nothing but headache. Unless you're there seeing the guy slapping her around and raping her, you don't know anything.

If she were to want to learn about shooting for self-defense, then recommend a local training school/instructor for her.

If the OP were to teach her to shoot and she went to buy a gun then blasted the ex, then it turned out that they both had personal issues instead of assault and rape. Now what?

That's my two cents about involvement.

For gun recommendation, it's hard to beat a Smith&Wesson K-frame in .38 Special. A Model 10 or similar models can be had for $300 or less. It's rugged and reliable. It will put six shots into somebody most ricky tick. Six shots of .38 Special in Gold Dot, HydraShok, FMJ, soft points, wadcutter, semiwadcutter, Nyclad, ad infinitum. It doesn't care. It will fire all .38 Special ammo.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:29   #63
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 11,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
If(BIG, HUGE, HAIRY IF) she does end up getting a gun and IF she does end up pulling the trigger and sending this guy to hell where he belongs I'd hate to see how it'll all play out in court if they catch wind that you or anyone else helped her get the gun and taught her to use it.
I'm NOT saying that what you're doing is wrong in ANY WAY, I am saying that a smart Lawyer will totally take her apart in the Court room and make this jerks killing look totally premeditated to the point where she may even be brought up on 1st Deg. Murder Charges.

Yes, he's attacked her in the past and has threatened to do so again in the future but a good lawyer COULD say that after she got the gun SHE provoked him into attacking her so she could kill him and that's Premeditation.

I still think there's something that she can do other then picking up a gun even though I'll be the first one to say that a handgun in the right hands is a great equalizer. Just please, be very, very careful if you choose to walk down this path and please, let her get some professional firearms training so she'll be more "Court Proof" if push does come to shove and she off's the guy.
If you could provide one actual adjudicated case where a previously assaulted and raped female got charged with murder defending herself, I'd be shocked. Me thinks you have a twisted sense of the legal system.

And if this woman lives in Texas, she might actually get a medal for offing this d-bag. I know of a 1st hand account of a shooting, where the perp was shot and wounded by a friend of a female, who was days later abducted by the B.G. (after the perp got out of the hospital), driven across state lines, and then released a few days later. The cops told the person that shot the guy, that he should have killed the perp when he had the chance.

She also doesn't need to get "professional" training, that's just more fear creeping out of your view of the legal system. In fact, looking at it from your point of view, said spawn of satan prosecuter could then say that she sought the best training available to be best able to kill the guy.

See how paranoia works? It can go both ways.

At this point, despite the fact that the perp hasn't been convicted yet, there are police and medical reports, pictures of the woman black, blue and bleeding, rape kit results, etc. The bad guy is already toast, he knows it, and he may just decide to kill her for no good reason other than to do it before he gets thrown into prison.
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:33   #64
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 57,160


Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I
She also doesn't need to get "professional" training, that's just more fear creeping out of your view of the legal system. In fact, looking at it from your point of view, said spawn of satan prosecuter could then say that she sought the best training available to be best able to kill the guy.
At least it ain't you that got involved in it. The "professional training" place has insurance and lawyers to deal with that sort of thing. Unless you like getting involved in personal business of other people that you don't know much about.


Quote:
At this point, despite the fact that the perp hasn't been convicted yet, there are police and medical reports, pictures of the woman black, blue and bleeding, rape kit results, etc. The bad guy is already toast, he knows it, and he may just decide to kill her for no good reason other than to do it before he gets thrown into prison.
Did you see all these evidences in this case?

It couldn't have been maybe they were into rough sex and then he told her, "Ciao baby" and she got pissed off, calling the cops faking rape?

You were there? You saw everything happened with your own eyes?
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:35   #65
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 11,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
But revolvers don't get Stove Pipe jams, Failure to Feed, Failure to Eject, you can't accidentally drop the mag out of a revolver under a high stress situation, you can't limp wrist a revolver, you can easily see if your revolver is loaded or unloaded.
For someone not "into" guns a revolver is a much better choice. Heck, my wife has shot for years, all kind of guns and she still feels more comfortable with a revolver. It just depends on the person and how willing they are to learn the manual of arm that goes along with the gun. A revolver has a much simpler manual of arms.
.

Neither have any of the 12 GLOCK pistols I've owned. Ever. Not in tens of thousands of rounds. Not with me shooting them, or any of the females I've taught to use them. And never have I either witnessed or heard of anyone accidently dropping a magazine out of an auto. And I don't agree that a revolver has a simpler manual of arms. Slap a mag in, cycle the action, done. Simple. One trigger to learn, less recoil, better sights, higher capacity, etc., etc.

You like revolvers, and you'll go to any imaginative lengths to support your position. All I have to do is point out that autos have eclipsed revolvers in sales to civilians, and 100% with Military and LEOs, for decades. That's it.
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:37   #66
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 11,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
At least it ain't you that got involved in it. The "professional training" place has insurance and lawyers to deal with that sort of thing. Unless you like getting involved in personal business of other people that you don't know much about?
The "Professional Training" place costs money. She doesn't have it. And since there is almost a 0% chance that where she learned to use a pistol will ever come up, who cares.
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:39   #67
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 11,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
If those 18 year old yahoos over in General Glocking can first learn to shoot using a Glock, so can a woman.
Right.

And everyone that goes into the Military or a Police Academy learn with automatics. There's a reason....they're better in several crucial ways.
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:40   #68
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 57,160


Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
The "Professional Training" place costs money. She doesn't have it. And since there is almost a 0% chance that where she learned to use a pistol will ever come up, who cares.
Then why don't you volunteer to train her then?
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:43   #69
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post

Did you see all these evidences in this case?

It couldn't have been maybe they were into rough sex and then he told her, "Ciao baby" and she got pissed off, calling the cops faking rape?

You were there? You saw everything happened with your own eyes?
It could have been carried live on TV and if she doesn't testify, the state won't prosecute. More than likely she will be fetching him a turkey pot-pie and Milwaukee's Best in a few weeks.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:46   #70
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
The "Professional Training" place costs money. She doesn't have it. And since there is almost a 0% chance that where she learned to use a pistol will ever come up, who cares.
If she invites him in and ends up killing him, you can bet your ass that the OP will be spending long hours being interviewed, deposed, and testifying.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:48   #71
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 11,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
And did those women then buy and carry Glocks? Will they remember how to use them when they haven't shot them in a year and a half? Do they clean the dust bunnies out of them? Did the lipstick in their purse depress the trigger?

Yes, you can show a novice how to shoot an auto. You can show a female novice how to shoot and auto easier than a male novice. Unless they are going to move beyond the novice stage, and shoot once a month and stay trained, a revolver will be a better choice. It can get bounced around in her purse for a decade and all she has to do is point it at the bad guy and sweep the trigger.
So can a G26, no problem.

However....

We're not talking about someone that is going to get a CCW and carry a pistol. We're talking about someone with a very clear and present (immediate) threat to their life. This is someone that needs a pistol right now, needs to become proficient with it quickly, and has a very real threat against her, probably more than any one currently on GT.

CCWs take months to get, we're not talking about CCWing at this point, maybe down the road a bit.
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:48   #72
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 11,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Then why don't you volunteer to train her then?
I certainly would. No problem. But I'm in Virginia, that's a bit of a drive.

If a female I was close to was beaten and raped by an ex that is a future threat, and she came to me to learn about shooting, I would. Would you not?
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.

Last edited by M&P15T; 07-02-2011 at 12:56..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:51   #73
bmylesk
Senior Member
 
bmylesk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 777
kel tec PF9. got mine for 234. shoots reliable, cant go wrong. ive put just over 100 rounds flawlessly. don't let anyone else tell you the PF9 is BS. (do make sure to get the newer models though)
bmylesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:52   #74
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 11,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
If she invites him in and ends up killing him, you can bet your ass that the OP will be spending long hours being interviewed, deposed, and testifying.
You're making so many negative assumptions, I can't count them all.

You're assuming the woman is lying.
You're assuming she will not testify.
You're assuming she will get back with him in the future.
You're assuming she is going to invite the guy over so she can kill him.

Why don't we wait until the OP clears things up a bit about the people involved?
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:54   #75
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
So can a G26, no problem.

However....

We're not talking about someone that is going to get a CCW and carry a pistol. We're talking about someone with a very clear and present (immediate) threat to their life. This is someone that needs a pistol right now, needs to become proficient with it quickly, and has a very real threat against her, probably more than any one currently on GT.

CCWs take months to get, we're not talking about CCWing at this point, maybe down the road a bit.
So you have figured out that she's not going to carry this gun? Is there some kind of unwritten rule that violent ex's won't attack someone unless they are in the home? She doesn't need to wait months to get a CHP in AZ. Regardless, the gun should be carried and 99% of the gun enthusiasts I know aren't proficient enough with their guns to use a semi, let alone a novice who likely will never do more than shoot half a box through it if she shoots it at all.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:54   #76
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 11,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
If she invites him in and ends up killing him, you can bet your ass that the OP will be spending long hours being interviewed, deposed, and testifying.
About what? Where is your imgaination taking this?
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:55   #77
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 57,160


Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I certainly would. No problem. But I'm in Virginia, that's a bit of a drive.
What's a bit of a drive to go save a damsel in distress against a dastardly rapist?
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 13:00   #78
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
You're making so many negative assumptions, I can't count them all.

You're assuming the woman is lying.
You're assuming she will not testify.
You're assuming she will get back with him in the future.
You're assuming she is going to invite the guy over so she can kill him.

Why don't we wait until the OP clears things up a bit about the people involved?
According to the sex crimes investigation training I received, 50% of all reports of sex crimes are bogus. According to my personal expirience, the number is higher. I didn't say she would invite him over to kill him. I said if she invites him over, and I can all but guarantee you she will, AND she ends up killing him, she will be investigated for a capital crime. If a capital crime is investigated, her phone records, purchases etc will be scrutinized. She will tell them when she is interviewed where she got the gun and how she learned to use it. If you don't think that will result in the party that supplied the gun and training to be interviewed, deposed and called to testify, you are half a bubble off.

There is simply nothing like seeing a woman in the supermarket with a man that you locked up six months earlier for stabbing her in the stomach so hard it broke the knife blade off. It just restores you whole faith in humanity
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 13:00   #79
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 11,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
So you have figured out that she's not going to carry this gun? Is there some kind of unwritten rule that violent ex's won't attack someone unless they are in the home? She doesn't need to wait months to get a CHP in AZ. Regardless, the gun should be carried and 99% of the gun enthusiasts I know aren't proficient enough with their guns to use a semi, let alone a novice who likely will never do more than shoot half a box through it if she shoots it at all.
I agree, but if a person doesn't stay up on their shooting skills, an auto like a G26 is easier to use (and actually hit the BG) than a similar sized revolver, based on trigger pull and sights alone.

Just like others, you like revolvers, and you'll go to any and all imaginative ends to support your choice. The reality is that autos dominate the market for many very, very good reason. They're better for HD/SD, easier to learn, easier to shoot.

You may not agree (and I know you won't), but that doesn't change reality.
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 13:03   #80
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I agree, but if a person doesn't stay up on their shooting skills, an auto like a G26 is easier to use (and actually hit the BG) than a similar sized revolver, based on trigger pull and sights alone.

Just like others, you like revolvers, and you'll go to any and all imaginative ends to support your choice. The reality is that autos dominate the market for many very, very good reason. They're better for HD/SD, easier to learn, easier to shoot.

You may not agree (and I know you won't), but that doesn't change reality.
I don't much care for revolvers. I carry autos. Autos are easier to hit with, but they don't work well with chewing gun amd tampon wrappers jammed in them.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:14.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 803
210 Members
593 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31