Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-03-2011, 13:17   #141
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc View Post
Did not read all the posts so sorry if has been discussed. Get the restraining order. Buying a gun and throwing it in the drawer may get her killed. Most women hate violence and would hesitate shooting someone, giving him time to wrest the gun away and using it on her before or even after being shot himself. Be very careful. Mace, tazer, 911, close neighbors on speed dial. Consider other options as well. Preparation and exercise to the point of not thinking about it is the best way to avoid freezing in a high stress situation. He needs to be prosecuted. Any cop will tell you that the domestic calls are the most dangerous by far. Hope all works out OK.
Thanks you for a common sense answer to this problem. This is what I've been saying all through this thread but many seem to ignore this logic. It's just not as cut and dry as getting a gun, letting her put a few rounds through it and then leaving her to fend for herself in the face of mortal danger.
There are better options rather then just throwing hot lead at the situation which may or may not get her into even more problems then she already has.

P.S.
I would recommend picking up a copy of Massad Ayoob's "In The Gravest Extreme" and having her read through it so she'll understand the implications of using Deadly Force. I had this book in the past and read it and it was a real eye opener.

Last edited by TN.Frank; 07-03-2011 at 13:24..
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 14:42   #142
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
If a quality auto is purchased, there's virtually no need to learn any drills.

No offense, but it would seem one or three (other) instructors would disagree with this.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 14:52   #143
Willieboy

If the woman is in immediate danger, how about a restraining order for a near term remedy???

If it was my daughter, I'd recommend a Ruger LCR .38 Special, or, if she has the strength to handle an auto, maybe a Kahr CW9 or CM9.

Last edited by Willieboy; 07-03-2011 at 14:57..
Willieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 15:11   #144
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willieboy View Post
If the woman is in immediate danger, how about a restraining order for a near term remedy???

While I agree a restraining order is an absolute necessity in this case, I also think restraining orders are a little bit like gun control. Gun Control presumes that the 25 years to life a guy faces for armed robbery is not gonna deter him but that big one year for a firearms violation will be the fear that tips the scales. Last time I looked in some places rape is actually a capital crime or a life felony, but in this case the fear of 180 days for violating a restraining order will put the fear of God in him?
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 07-03-2011, 15:24   #145
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
While I agree a restraining order is an absolute necessity in this case, I also think restraining orders are a little bit like gun control. Gun Control presumes that the 25 years to life a guy faces for armed robbery is not gonna deter him but that big one year for a firearms violation will be the fear that tips the scales. Last time I looked in some places rape is actually a capital crime or a life felony, but in this case the fear of 180 days for violating a restraining order will put the fear of God in him?
They do clear up the whole probable cause issue though. Many times the guy does just crawl through a window and hurt her. Many times he calls her at work and screws with her etc. If he even has his sister send her a birthday card, he gets popped for contempt. They are court orders and judges take it personally when people violate their orders.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 15:36   #146
.45Super-Man

First off, you need to take into consideration that if this SOB comes at her it's going to happen at close range and she most likely wouldnt have the time to empty a magazine into him nor reload, now would she?? So bearing this in mind, why insist on an auto???? Secondly, do you really want to add malfunction clearance drills to the equation, when time is a BIG factor right now? Lots of things could happen here, but if you imagine her firing a volume of rounds at basically contact distance and then reloading at speed....think again. My advice leans STRONGLY in favor of a 357mag with a barrel of 4 inches or less. You can train her with light 38 loads and load it for defense with Federal 125gr SJHP magnums. All you need to tell her is that it's loaded with the best manstoppers that you can squeeze into a handgun. If something does in fact happen, her adrenalin levels will be so high she wont notice the added recoil or muzzle blast(it happens). As far as a restraining order.....if all of her screaming and resisting him didnt prevent a violent beating and rape, does anyone actually think a piece of paper will??? If this woman was a good friend or relative, I'd relieve her of the burden of having to sit and wait for him to do it again. As soon as this guy got out of county and was ALONE, the problem would be solved.

Last edited by .45Super-Man; 07-03-2011 at 15:51..
.45Super-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 15:36   #147
Ruggles

I vote .38 Special, small or medium frame gun, any make with a 2"-4" barrel. The 158gr SWHP is as potent a self defense round as you are going to find IMO. It is a extremely real world proven round that is a great balance of performance and shoot ability.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 15:42   #148
brausso

I see no reason why she can't learn on a semi-auto. I did and I'm sure many of the posters here did. I don't like the idea of a revolver for her strictly because of the capacity limit. I don't know her demeanor and I don't know her learning ability to accurately shoot a firearm. God forbid if she has to use it, if she hasn't had a enough range time, she may just point and shoot. I think capacity is very important in this case.

If I was going to arm a female in her circumstance is would be a compact/sub compact 9mm. My first vote would be a Ruger SR9c. 18 rounds of 9mm in a small package. Buds has them for $398 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id=62288

Last edited by brausso; 07-03-2011 at 15:43..
brausso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 15:49   #149
duper85

I have the Kel Tec pf9. Its a single stack 9mm.Nice and lite, and about $100 less than the lc9. It has been a great gun, not a single failure and I have about 400 rounds through it.
duper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 16:05   #150
cloudbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Guru View Post
Tell her that when (NOT if) he shows up again, it will not be for casual conversation.

Tell her to shoot him!

TGG
Good Lord, don't listen to this advice. Sounds like a great way to provoke an unjustified shooting and land the girl in jail.
"A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges’ assessments of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all." -- Justice Antonin Scalia, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER, June 26, 2008
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 16:20   #151
Willieboy

Quote:
If worse came to worse, and she did end up having to defend herself by shooting this guy, a restraining might show she'd done what she could to avoid a violent outcome.
Old 07-03-2011, 16:41   #152
american lockpicker
License to Il

Get a Armscor 38 and some Federal hollowpoints.
american lockpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 16:45   #153
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
They do clear up the whole probable cause issue though. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willieboy View Post
If worse came to worse, and she did end up having to defend herself by shooting this guy, a restraining might show she'd done what she could to avoid a violent outcome.
I agree completely that a restraining order in this case (and in most DV cases) is critical procedurally. A restraining order makes an arrest decision far easier and goes a long way to getting someone into jail. I just don't want someone to think it offers much real protection. If I had a dollar for every time multiple officers at different calls told the same "victim" to get a restraining order and she didn't, and a dollar for every time a guy violated a restraining order, I would be posting this while holding a drink with an umbrella in it from a medium sized island in the South Pacific named Bruce.
Old 07-03-2011, 19:05   #154
mad.gunsmith
Silver Membership
Life NRA member

Set up a fundraiser so she can get a quality gun <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
G26 is the better choice <o:p></o:p>
The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker>LCP</st1:stockticker> is also a good quality gun my wife carries one everyday and I do too next to my G26 <o:p></o:p>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Quote:
You, Sir, are already a hero in my eyes.
mad.gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 20:04   #155
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Avoid snubnose .38s!

Way too much recoil and not very accurate.

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 20:20   #156
pennlineman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Guru View Post
Avoid snubnose .38s!

Way too much recoil and not very accurate.

TGG
I think not. My wife has a Lady Smith model 36 and Glock 26. I just asked her if she thought it kicked too much and she laughed. I asked which one she liked better, she said the 36. I asked her which one she thought was easiest to operate. She said the 36, that's why she carries it while the Glock sits in the safe. So it boils down to the indivdual shooter.

As for snub nose accuracy........

General Firearms Forum

All double action at 7 yds, two different 357's using 357's not 38's on the same target.

Last edited by pennlineman; 07-03-2011 at 20:55..
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 22:01   #157
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
I agree completely that a restraining order in this case (and in most DV cases) is critical procedurally. A restraining order makes an arrest decision far easier and goes a long way to getting someone into jail. I just don't want someone to think it offers much real protection. If I had a dollar for every time multiple officers at different calls told the same "victim" to get a restraining order and she didn't, and a dollar for every time a guy violated a restraining order, I would be posting this while holding a drink with an umbrella in it from a medium sized island in the South Pacific named Bruce.
Yeah, retraining orders obviously aren't some kind of magical force field. BUT, I've locked guys up for the slightest violation because I didn't have a choice. Victim shows up at HQ with a copy of the order and says her ex called her office. She gives a statement, warrant is issued, and dude is locked up for weeks while the judge let's him get his mind right. Not about harrassing the victim, the judge doesn't care, but ****bird has to get his mind right about not violating a judicial order or he goes in the box.

Usually the victim has had the dummy moved back in with her and not vacated the order. Then when she gets mad at him (he didn't give her any money) she calls up and violates him. Then you're hooking up some guy and he's like "man, you know how they is, she jus mad thas all".

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 22:08   #158
NHmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
Don't get a semi-automatic for someone who doesn't know anything about guns. Get a revolver.
this....
Old 07-03-2011, 22:21   #159
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Ask her to show you a copy of her final restraining order. If she doesn't have one of those, she hasn't been serious about keeping him away from her.
Another
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 23:40   #160
tremor64

that would be a Ruger SP101 - not cheap but perfect weapon for someone unfamiliar with firearms - full range of ammo from .38 to .357 and in between too
tremor64 is offline   Reply With Quote