Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-02-2011, 14:42   #1
DURBANS

I got robbed today...

... and I didn't have my Glock on me! FML. There's a very Peruvian "method" thieves use to rob you on stoplights. Don't think of the big dramatic things you can see on TV, it's very "delicate", very quick and it usually happens on the nicer sides of Lima.

You stop at the stoplight. You unfortunately have your window (driver's side) down. It's a 2 person operation. Someone knocks your right back window, so you turn around to see what happened. At the same time, someone else reaches into your side and grabs whatever he can. Usually, they like to grab on whatever you have on your neck. I wear a thin gold chain with a small cross that I've had for years, never had a problem. That cross is very special to me, it was given to me by my grand mother on my confirmation day (I'm Catholic).

Anyway, so it happened. I turned around and this dude reached and grabbed my chain and started to pull, but it wasn't breaking. Keep in mind this happened in less than probably 3 seconds. The guy kept saying that he was going to "kill me", by the way. Chain broke, he started to run. The car in front of me, opened the door to stop the guy, the guy smashed his body into the door and fell to the ground, he was hurt for sure. I didn't know what to do, I wasn't sure if he had a gun, I know I didn't. He quickly stood up and ran away on the other side of the avenue. I did notice the sound of metal hitting the ground when he snatched the chain, so when he ran away, I got out of my car, and my cross was lying in the ground! So that's a good thing, I was able to get it back.

Now. Here are my thought on this, and, the fact that I didn't have my gun on me. First and foremost, I need to carry it chambered. Second, a hidden "car" holster, would've been no good. Now, on the days I've carried it, I usually keep it on the seat next to me, in it's Uncle Mikes IWB holster. That's the best way, thankfully, I'm about to receive my Remora holster, so that would be an even better solution since the holster will grip itself to the seat while I draw the gun. Period.

Things that I could've done if I had my Glock on me. Well, as soon as the guy had his 2 hands on my chain, easily and quickly grab the gun, and shoot him. He was like a foot or less away from my body, standing outside my car. Just one shot, center mass, dead piece of scum on the street, and leave. Second option... say I didn't react quickly enough and the guy did steal my chain. When the guy in front knocked him down with his door, I could've easily gotten off my car, and ask him to remain on the ground, he moves, I shoot. Get my chain back. Leave. About him having his "friend" near, probably wouldn't have mattered, as that guy ran away as soon as the other one grabbed my chain.

I seriously swear, I'll never be out and about without my gun, there's a reason I bought it for, to protect me and my family. I was driving with my wife in the car, and the fact that she had to see and experience that, is something that is still burning me inside. This happened about an hour ago.

Thoughts?

Last edited by DURBANS; 07-02-2011 at 14:46..
DURBANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 14:45   #2
Calico Jack
NO QUARTER

Sorry to hear about this. At least you are okay man!
Calico Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 14:52   #3
emore

I know that's got to be eating you alive. Try not to let it. That scum has had their whole lives to dream up crap like that to do and you had two seconds to formulate and execute a response. You did nothing wrong. You and your wife are OK. You even got the cross back! Not a good outcome, but a heckuva lot better than some.
Glad you're OK!
Old 07-02-2011, 14:55   #4
Bogey
CLM Number 242
The Mouth®

Send a message via Yahoo to Bogey

Can you shoot someone for ripping a chain off your neck?

Having thew gun on the seat doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Someone could distract you at the driver's window, and his partner could smash the passenger window and grab it before you knew what happened.
Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 15:04   #5
low octane
NRA Endowment

My wife needs to read this. Happy that yer ok!

I'm a Irish-German-Scottish-Danish-Swedish-AMERICAN.
low octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 15:10   #6
HexHead

I don't know how it's done there in Peru, but up here in the Norte, you can't just shoot someone and leave. That's highly frowned upon.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 15:12   #7
Fungunner

Are you allowed to use lethal force to protect yourself against strong arm theft in Peru?

So many countries where thieves are a protected class.

George Bernard Shaw
Fungunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 15:16   #8
Calico Jack
NO QUARTER

Wouldn't you be in fear for your life if someone was attempting to forcibly enter your vehicle?
Calico Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 15:16   #9
Four Knives

Glad you're OK.
Glad you got your cross back.

Tough to armchair QB this one...
Everyone wishes for better situational awareness, e.g. as they approached, but I'm not familiar with Peru, and maybe pedestrians wander in and out of cars on the street pretty freely.

Sounds like you did all you could do.

From an educational perspective, knowing what you know, do you think you could have brought a handgun into play quick enough to stop the initial assault?

eta: thanks for sharing your story

Last edited by Four Knives; 07-02-2011 at 15:17..
Four Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 15:17   #10
glockurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungunner View Post
Are you allowed to use lethal force to protect yourself against strong arm theft in Peru?

The fact that he reached in the vehicle would make it a burglary here in FL. It could be the same overthere...or not.
Old 07-02-2011, 15:18   #11
dondulah

Yes, in Detroit in the summer, even today here it is 95 degrees and 95% humidity, we crank the AC and do not dare drive with the windows rolled down. Sorry you had to go through that but glad you are safe and have your cross.
dondulah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 15:18   #12
2bgop

Glad you are alright. I'm sure it sucks losing that chain, but the outcome could have been much worse.
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 15:34   #13
BroncoAZ
Glockalfeliac

What are the laws about shooting people in self defense in Peru? I think you'd be justified in shooting while he is pulling on your neck and saying he will kill you, but here you'd be convicted for murder if you told him to stay on the ground and then shot him as he ran away.

The described method of robbery sounds very half assed and desperate, while not that lucrative and with a high degree of danger to the thief. Asshats like that are likely to kill someone.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 15:39   #14
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Very sorry this happened to you Darbans. I am sure you and your wife were scared as hell, as I would be as well. I am extremely happy that you were able to get back your property so quickly.

Situations like this are why I am ALWAYS armed, and why I ALWAYS drive with my Windows up and all of the car doors locked. I would consider doing the same from now on if I were you. Again, very happy you are all okay.
Old 07-02-2011, 15:46   #15
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Sorry this happened, but why is this in General Glocking...
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 16:21   #16
Willieboy

I'm glad you and your family are okay. I don't like the idea of having a gun on the seat beside you either. I have placed one beneath my left leg (I'm right handed) and unholstered when driving through bad areas. Normally though, I like the AIWB carry method. For me, this method provides the easiest and fastest access.

I'm not sure one could get away with shooting someone in Texas over a chain. I know I would not want to shoot anyone over property. Threaten or endanger those I care about however, and it would be a different story.
Old 07-02-2011, 16:27   #17
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

It might not be legal to shoot the ****er, but they may not investigate it too much down there, either. How do those things go in Peru, Durbans?

Glad you're OK.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Angry Fist; 07-02-2011 at 16:27..
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 16:28   #18
outback45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungunner View Post

Sorry that happened to you. Just be happy you weren't injured.

I'm surprised to hear they let you carry in Peru. Do you have to apply for a permit. Are you law enforcement. I'm actually really curious to know how that works.

Last edited by outback45; 07-02-2011 at 16:28..
outback45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 16:32   #19
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
When that happens to me, I grab the arm..roll the window up and take them on a little ride down the freeway.

Stay safe.
Old 07-02-2011, 16:48   #20
DURBANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
Can you shoot someone for ripping a chain off your neck?

Having thew gun on the seat doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Someone could distract you at the driver's window, and his partner could smash the passenger window and grab it before you knew what happened.
1) You mean shoot someone for pulling with a metal chain on my neck, inside my property saying he was going to kill me.

2) My car has pitch black tinted windows, you cant's see if I'm naked inside, even from the front; it's tinted as well. He robbed me because he had the right timing and my window was down.