Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-04-2011, 17:11   #1
iluv2viddyfilms

All bravado aside.

If I'm in public and someone robs where I'm at... the gas station or a restaurant, and I'm concealed carrying, I'm not going to do anything except exactly as the criminal asks me to.

The reasons are simple.

1. Why escalate the situation by getting out my firearm, increasing my likelyhood of death as well as the other patrons? The criminal is much more likely to not use his gun if I don't use mine. Also if I hit him firrst there's still a chance he can get a shot off.

2. I would much rather have my wallet of $40, driver's license, and bank card stolen than defend myself and pay thousands of dollars and hours in the courtroom and talking to lawyers.

DO you guys agree?
iluv2viddyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 17:12   #2
Rizzo
Garbage Day!

So why do you even carry at all?
Rizzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 17:16   #3
Ruggles

All depends on the situation. Too many variables to say for sure how I would react. Not going to shoot someone over a $5 item being stolen, but not going to let the robber decide my fate. It is not something that is just a clear cut choice that can be stated with 100% confidence IMO.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 17:22   #4
iluv2viddyfilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
So why do you even carry at all?
No real reason come to think of it. I don't need to carry, but actually my greatest fear to tell you the truth is dogs.

If I'm jogging or riding my bike I like to know that I don't have to worry about a pitbull attack... I had a friend who was attacked by one.

Other than dogs I'm really not afraid of anything or feel the need to carry.
Old 07-04-2011, 17:25   #5
DARKSHADOW
CLM Number 205
My Work Hobby

Who is to say they won't shoot you if you do give it up.

I'm not sure exactly what I would do, but I think I would try to hide first, and then pull out my weapon in case they do come for me.
NRA Life Member
Thin to win - G36 Club #44
Florida Glockers - #254
DARKSHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 17:25   #6
iluv2viddyfilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
but not going to let the robber decide my fate. It is not something that is just a clear cut choice that can be stated with 100% confidence IMO.
True, no one really knows until we are in that situation.

But regarding other people controlling our fate... they do. We like to think we have control, but we really don't. Everyone whom you've ever upset or haven't upset controls your fate to a certain extent, but we know most people won't pull a gun and shoot us because we've insulted them. But is that OUR control of theirs?
Old 07-04-2011, 17:28   #7
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

I would like to think I would be 100% sure there was imminent risk of grievous bodily harm to myself or someone else before I would open fire.

If you over react, the DA (depending on the state and its political climate) is going to have a field day.

But even in a Nanny State like MA they will quickly clear you of criminal charges if it can be proven you faced a lethal threat (i.e., a thug merely leveling a firearm at you during the commission of a robbery qualifies).
Old 07-04-2011, 17:34   #8
bocephus549
Bo Knows.......

Send a message via Yahoo to bocephus549
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2viddyfilms View Post
If I'm in public and someone robs where I'm at... the gas station or a restaurant, and I'm concealed carrying, I'm not going to do anything except exactly as the criminal asks me to.

The reasons are simple.

1. Why escalate the situation by getting out my firearm, increasing my likelyhood of death as well as the other patrons? The criminal is much more likely to not use his gun if I don't use mine. Also if I hit him firrst there's still a chance he can get a shot off.

2. I would much rather have my wallet of $40, driver's license, and bank card stolen than defend myself and pay thousands of dollars and hours in the courtroom and talking to lawyers.

DO you guys agree?
Yes I do.
Old 07-04-2011, 17:36   #9
Rizzo
Garbage Day!

Films, have you ever heard of the phrase "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"?

You seriously think that you'd be better off by not getting the first shot off on a gun-wielding BG than you would by meekly saying "Yes sir, here's my wallet sir, please don't shoot!" For god's sake, that's why we carry in the first place, so we don't have to worry (as much) about being mugged, shot, stabbed, killed, etc. Or at the very least to have a better chance of surviving something like that.

Too many good citizens have died with the mistaken belief that nothing bad will happen to them, that armed robberies/muggings only happen on the 6:00 news to "other people." You can believe in the inherent goodness of your fellow man if you want to; I'm not as trusting.
Rizzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 17:42   #10
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Carry Issues
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 17:49   #11
bobelk99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailRecoveryAgent View Post
Carry Issues
OP probably not a troll, but:

bobelk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 18:01   #12
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I remember this guy.
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 18:08   #13
GlockOpsFool
NRA Member

I would keep my gun holstered and be a good witness until the robber points his weapon at me, then all bets are off.
Old 07-04-2011, 18:09   #14
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

I live in Georgia. nuff said.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 18:21   #15
KilgoreTrout
Impossiblist

pit bulls are srs bizness.

Last edited by KilgoreTrout; 07-04-2011 at 18:22..
KilgoreTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 18:23   #16
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockOpsFool View Post
I would keep my gun holstered and be a good witness until the robber points his weapon at me, then all bets are off.
So you'd wait until someone trained a gun on you before you broke concealment, drew, and fired? God you must be fast!
Old 07-04-2011, 18:26   #17
Twisted Steel
And Sex Appeal

I tend to agree. If you are in a bank, and robbers come in to rob the bank and make no indication they are going to hurt anyone, it is best to let it play out. Of course, you are going to see some really eager folks getting in on this discussion. Too many people think CCW equals LEO.

I wonder though, if you did act and the ensuing gunfight got innocents killed, if you would face charges.

They nag us over leaving the seat up, but how many times do they have to fall in before they learn to look first? Look sweetie, when you fall in, hit the flush handle and consider it a redneck bidet.
Twisted Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 18:32   #18
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Steel View Post
I tend to agree. If you are in a bank, and robbers come in to rob the bank and make no indication they are going to hurt anyone, it is best to let it play out. Of course, you are going to see some really eager folks getting in on this discussion. Too many people think CCW equals LEO.

I wonder though, if you did act and the ensuing gunfight got innocents killed, if you would face charges.
The way I understand it in Texas, if you shoot an innocent bystander on accident, you're in trouble. If the BG hits someone while shooting at you, no problem.

As with all of these hypothetical scenarios, my answer is "it depends". Basically, were I in such a predicament, do I feel that I am in immediate danger? If not, I'll just try to stay unnoticed and gather as much information as I can. If so, even a little, I'll try to wait until they're focused on something else and then make my move. Draw and fire, move to cover, or straight up run the **** away, again it depends on the circumstances.
Old 07-04-2011, 18:37   #19
ray9898

Bottom line is if someone has you at gun point at personal distance your odds of drawing, presenting and defending yourself are close to zero.

I have seen quite a few robberies in my career. Of those I can think of 4 where deadly force was actually used by the robber, in those situations 3 of the victims resisted. If those 3 people had not resisted would violence have been used? Who knows.

I just know being robbed is dangerous. Trying to use force against someone who has presented and is ready to use force is really really dangerous. Sometimes sitting there and complying will get you just as dead as if you pull a gun and lose. The is no good answer and no solution that will work every time.

Last edited by ray9898; 07-04-2011 at 18:40..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 18:46   #20
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2viddyfilms View Post

The reasons are simple.

DO you guys agree?
So don't carry a gun. That's your right and we'd probably all feel safer if YOU ddn't.

Here, a guy got robbed yesterday or the day before and when he told the robber he had no money, the robber shot him anyhow (for wasting his time I guess). He's recovering at the hospital. Contrary to the liberal line, that isn't very uncommon. Other robbers shoot you first, then search for your money. Good luck with your plan.