Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-05-2011, 14:27   #1
Obi Wan

Win 7 'Mirror' / Backup Questions...

I need to do a temporary 'mirror' of my wife's Win 7 laptop until I get a more permanent system put together.

Her HDD is 640 Gigs, but only about 60 are being used by all software in total.

I was going to do a mirror backup to my WD portable that currently has about 80 gig open, but I can free up more if needed. Again, this is intended to be temporary until I install the new 500 Gig HDD in my PC.

My 'mid-term' plan was that I would back up my 500 HDD to hers and hers (640 HDD) to mine, etc, since we each only use about 60 Gigs total on our existing drives. That way I would utilize the open space that's not going to be used on either drive for a long time... or at least until I set up a separate external HDD for everything.

My question is that I just read that supposedly the 'target' drive HAS to be larger than the 'source' drive. That would mean I need an extra drive of at least the 640 Gig that she's got. Is this right or not???

If so, how the heck am I going to match drive sizes when the typical HDD for my desktop is either 500, 750, 1T, 1.5T, or 2T, etc... ???

What am I missing here?

Thanks!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 15:52   #2
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Hello Obi Wan,

You must have been reading about cloning... imaging is different on Win 7.

My primary, my core workstation has a 1Tb drive with about 400Gb on it. I image that drive every week - to a 500Gb drive.

If it *fits*, it *ships*...

Here is a little tutorial i did a while ago... I don't mention the size use issue, or lack there of, and I will now have to update that tutorial... but it will get you what you want with Win 7. Just select the 'network share' option, then browse to the 'repository' you have setup in advance - Make a directory on the 'target' drive, and then share it for 'everyone'. Should see it right away.

Here is the 6 minute 44 second tutorial:
Create YOUR Windows 7 System Restore Image NOW!

I do ask that you leave a comment if this helps you out... but I won't hold my breath...

Enjoy!
Patrick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Download YOUR copy of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 15:59   #3
Obi Wan

Watching it again now. I guess I misunderstood the term "active hard" versus the interpretation of "actively used drive volume" or whatever...

Will leave a comment later.

Thanks!

P.S. I get the impression that since I'm going to do this temporary 'mirror' to my portable WD drive, you're saying I should connect to it via the network since it's normally on my machine and not connect it directly to her laptop? That way it will know the path to where it's normally found?
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri

Last edited by Obi Wan; 07-05-2011 at 16:06..
Old 07-05-2011, 16:04   #4
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
Watching it again now. I guess I misunderstood the term "active hard" versus the interpretation of "actively used drive volume" or whatever...

Will leave a comment later.

Thanks!
I just watched it again... and I do need to update it when I am not having a cup o joe... And I'll include making the network backup as well.

Lemme know if you get stuck!
Patrick

Download YOUR copy of

Old 07-05-2011, 19:34   #5
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
I just watched it again... and I do need to update it when I am not having a cup o joe... And I'll include making the network backup as well.

Lemme know if you get stuck!
Patrick
I thought the 'good coffee' remarks made you more human!!!

Besides, my wife and I love a good cup of coffee... and not that burnt tasting 'Starbucks' crap!
Old 07-05-2011, 22:00   #6
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Okay - You taught me something there...

I'll be sure I have a good cup when I do... Half of my tutorials! yah...

You up and running? or in the middle of it...l

Download YOUR copy of

Old 07-07-2011, 14:55   #7
Obi Wan

Haven't attempted it yet. Need to get some job ad responses out first, etc, before I start messing with my machine... especially since I want to move the better power pack (fairly new) from my old PC over to the Compaq when I change the drives around, etc.

There just ain't enough time in the day... and need to leave room for a screw-up or two... LOL

Hope to get to it soon!

Oh, in regards to the 'mirror', I decided that I ought to set it up so that her machine can mirror to my portable HDD over the network because it's not going to stay connected to her machine. It couldn't see it before, but I think that's because I had it connected to my PC via a USB docking unit vs. direct. I'll try it with a direct USB port and see if she can see it then.

Last edited by Obi Wan; 07-07-2011 at 14:58..
Old 07-07-2011, 20:02   #8
Obi Wan

I connected my WD portable HDD directly to the USB port on my PC. I had it connected via a USB 4 port connector and couldn't see it on the network.

I'm on the laptop now and can see the PC on the network, but I'm still not seeing the 'D' drive. Any idea as to why not?

Argghhh... another wasted effort. Being only 1/2 smart on this stuff is a killer!
Old 07-07-2011, 21:12   #9
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
I connected my WD portable HDD directly to the USB port on my PC. I had it connected via a USB 4 port connector and couldn't see it on the network.

I'm on the laptop now and can see the PC on the network, but I'm still not seeing the 'D' drive. Any idea as to why not?

Argghhh... another wasted effort. Being only 1/2 smart on this stuff is a killer!
More than likely you need to share it for everyone - I have my own login name and password on every system, so I automatically get access to everything... Makes sense to have the same name on each system.

So - You can either setup a new user on your system that will have your wife's login name and password, or share the drive with Everyone.

Just for fun, do a right click on the D: drive, select Share with / Advanced Sharing - And Click on Advanced Sharing

Nowon the Drive D: Properties you should be presented with an Advanced Sharing button - Click on it.

You are now at the Advanced Sharing dialog box - Check the Share This Folder check box / then click the Permissions button near the bottom left side / You will see Everyone in the Group or user names, and below that are the permissions. Check the box Full Control, then click the Apply button, and then the OK button if necessary.

Now close out the dialog boxes using the Apply / OK buttons in that order as needed.

Now see if you can see drive D: from your wife's notebook.

The other obvious solution would be to put YOUR logon info on Her notebook. We call this the 'Spousal Admin Logon' cause no one actually uses Administrator much anymore under Windows 7... and it does make good sense to setup the spouses profile on each other's computers... unless y'all are hiding things from each other...

Moving right along - You should be able to make your image using one, or both of these work arounds.

Let us know what else you need!

Patrick

Download YOUR copy of

Old 07-08-2011, 06:11   #10
Obi Wan

Patrick,

I "thought" I'd already done all that, but I obviously missed something in the translation... or... I may have mistakenly clicked on to my wife's account instead of mine last night. Will have to do it again with mine and see.

Thanks for the detailed reminders. I'll double check everything.

Thanks!

Chuck