Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:10   #1
glocketman

Anybody EDC Glock 19/23/32 w/ TLR-1?

I carry either a Glock 19 or a M&P9 fs in a Raven Phantom owb without a light right now. I have been thinking of picking up another Raven for the G19 for a TLR-1. My only concern is how much extra bulk would the light add? I dont think it will be much more if any more noticable under an untucked tshirt, than the m&p the way those holsters are made. I would like some more opinions though. Thank for the help

Last edited by glocketman; 11-25-2013 at 12:56..
glocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:15   #2
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Kind of comical for everyday ccw. I frequently carry a mounted light on duty. I can't see why someone would carry one for permit carry. Quite logical (with proper training) for a dedicated home defense gun. If you feel compelled to carry a flashlight, you'd be better served by one that wasn't attached to your weapon. That said- if it's worth the price of another holster for the novelty of carrying a tlr-1, or so you can get range time with a mounted light so you're familiar with how it feels in case you ever have a need to carry that way, then go for it. Life is short.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 11-27-2013 at 08:23..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:58   #3
SCmasterblaster

I'd stay with the G19.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:16   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

I found it too inconvenient to do practically. I carry a small handheld. I have carried my P220 with a TLR1 during cold weather when I have a jacket to cover it, but sure enough I end up inside somewhere with the heat cranked up and I get hot and can't take my jacket off.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:38   #5
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I found it too inconvenient to do practically. I carry a small handheld. I have carried my P220 with a TLR1 during cold weather when I have a jacket to cover it, but sure enough I end up inside somewhere with the heat cranked up and I get hot and can't take my jacket off.
Have you looked at the G36? Seven rounds of .45 ACP power.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:28   #6
GenoTac Ind.
|KYDEX GEAR>

I do carry EDC off duty a Glock 19 with an Insight WL1-AA, it has the slimmest profile of any fullsized weaponlight, in our Hider V2-Hayag holster, appendix carry.

My opinion, if you are willing to carry the extra bulk and can find a comfortable spot for it, carry it, but pick options that would make it easier and comfortable for you to carry.
"Just as the mentality and actions of the unrighteous changes, so should our tactics and gear adapt to make us better prepared" -Gene Llaguno, Owner of GenoTac Industries, LLC http://www.genotac-industries.com
GenoTac Ind. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:46   #7
azbuckeye

I'm not very "tacticool" so a weapon mounted light never made much sense to me for EDC. I just carry a small flashlight in my pocket (Maglite LED AA) and practice with it from time to time. I don't spend much time outdoors after dark.....too many monsters!

Now, on a nightstand pistol.......I can see it.
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire
azbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 14:38   #8
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Have you looked at the G36? Seven rounds of .45 ACP power.
Yes. Have never owned one, but am quite fond of them. Working where I do turned me into a Sigophile over the years. Being required to carry the P226 sucked at first, but it started growing on me. 9 years later I just dont shoot Glocks as well anymore.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 14:41   #9
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I'd stay with the G19.
That's great. That wasn't the question though.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 00:37   #10
survival5

inforce apl - better option than streamlight tlr-1?

Howdy. I carry a g26 iwb for ccw here in New Mexico in the summer, but just got a g23 gen 4 because with a coat or long shirt in the fall, winter, and spring I thought I could get away with carrying something bigger. I had read numerous posts on GT and other forums that folks were having no trouble carrying g19s and g23s concealed. The g23 gave me a tactical rail for the first time (g26 doesn't have one). I had been wanting a weapon light, so I started looking at surefires and streamlights. Both are high quality, but both stick out too far past the g23s muzzle, and even worse, are quite a bit wider than the glock (which is plenty wide enough already) . They just looked too bulky for the iwb setup I prefer. Then I discovered the inforce apl and bought one. Perfection! 200 lumens from only one cr123 battery, shorter and lighter than surefire or streamlight products, and best of all only a molecule or two wider than the g23. Its highly rated for quality and ease of use online. Tested the gun/light combo at the range and the light held on tight, and caused no problems for the g23. I had heard a very tightly mounted light might cause problems. I am waiting on an iwb holster from roger's custom kydex for the g23 and the light so can't carry it yet. Dang it! I know, I know...why are you posting if you haven't carried it yet? But the light IS much shorter, lighter, and narrower than its better known competitors, so it WILL BE more comfortable and concealable. Just letting the man know about an option.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:31   #11
Bren
NRA Life Member

I don't see much point in a weapon light for a CCW gun.

1. Defensive shooting is reactive and high speed, if you have a light, you are not going to have time to use it.
2. Defensive shooting is close range - if the threat is so far away you can't tell it's a threat without a light, why did you draw and point a gun?
3. If you need your sights for close-raneg defensive shooting, you are already doing it wrong and your odds of winning are going down.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:51   #12
whoops dude

I live in a rural area and when the sun goes down it gets daaark. There is very little ambient light to see with. I usually carry my G22 with my tlr-1 in a homemade holster and it works well. Doesn't feel heavy or cumbersome at all. I would suggest a pancake style holster to rock OWB with some sort of cover garment. I also have a fenix ld22 for my primary seeing in dark places duty.

If you feel you need a weapon mounted light for your circumstances then use one and let everyone else be damned.

Deuteronomy 15:11
You cannot follow Christ and not care about others.
whoops dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:45   #13
Boot Stomper

The light on the gun always reminds me of the guy on Criminal Minds. I kinda laugh when I see him with the light on his gun. The term "Tacticool" always comes to mind. I like flashlights, I just do not want them on my gun.

Carry Issues

Here is the article with this image.

http://www.caughtonset.com/category/shemar-moore/

Last edited by Boot Stomper; 12-04-2013 at 03:47..
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:46   #14
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
That's great. That wasn't the question though.
Sorry.
Old 12-09-2013, 16:09   #15
Rex G

Send a message via AIM to Rex G
I have a Raven Concealment Phantom to accomodate my G17 with a Surefire X300, and it is my normal off-the-clock carry combo when out and about in the evening/night. Your G19 will be a bit more compact. For a frame of reference, I am 6' tall, with a 32"-33" waist.

When proper, sensible tactics are used, a light on one's weapon is a option that can provide an advantage. The hand-held light SHOULD be the primary light, of course, particularly necessary for total darkness, or when searching a structure or area.

When there is enough ambient light to illuminate all the parties in a gunfight, but not quite enough light to see details, then a weapon-mounted light is a very good thing to have, a true force multiplier that does not "give away my position," because we have plenty of ambient light to simply hose each other with lead. If I know where he is, and he knows where I am, a typical urban/suburban scenario, a light on my weapon is an advantage for me. Match the tactics to the environment!

I used to think a light on my pistol was not worth the bulk and bother when not on patrol. The thoughtfully-designed RCS Phantom changed my mind.

I have been using railed pistols since 2002. I have been working night-shift big-city police patrol since 1984. This does not make me an expert, but is an indicator I may have picked up a few valid ideas along the way.

Last edited by Rex G; 12-09-2013 at 16:14..
Rex G is offline   Reply With Quote