Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:12   #1
RussP

Texas’ open carry movement raises passions, threats

Ya know, sometimes there should be designated spokespersons for organizations and everyone else should be told not to talk to reporters, not to answer any questions for which the answer is not already written in the pamphlet they are holding...

This is an article from dallasnews.com dated 07-08 June. Please read the entire piece. The opening paragraphs are continued at the end...
Quote:
Texas’ open carry movement raises passions, threats
Quote:
The death threats began, James Henry recalled, about an hour after the confrontation. “One of them said, ‘You’re going to wish you had a gun, boy, when I fill you full of holes.’”

A 35-year-old former Marine, Henry was fresh from an encounter with an increasingly common phenomenon in North Texas: an Open Carry rally, where advocates gather in public places with semiautomatic rifles.

Henry said he simply wanted to make a video of the Memorial Day demonstration by the small but well-armed crowd. Then tempers rose and some curses flew. He left, and before long, he said, hostile phone calls began rolling in.

Thus far, Henry said last week, no violent action has followed. But he and many others worry about the combination of inflamed passions, heated arguments and loaded weapons.

“You know what’s going to happen,” Henry said. “Sooner or later somebody is going to start shooting. ... Someone is going to get killed.”

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:26   #2
Bruce M

Quote:
Several weeks later, an Open Carry supporter posted her name and phone number on YouTube. She began to receive threatening texts and calls, she said.
“They were calling me names I haven’t heard since I was in middle school,” she said. “They were calling me a whore and all kinds of nasty names. … I think there’s some really crazy, unstable people out there.”

"She added: “I grew up in rural Texas, where all my family were hunters and gun people. I’m not anti-gun. But a real man and a real hunter would never, ever carry an assault weapon intimidating people.”

She might not have become a stronger supporter of gun rights now.

Quote:
"Henry now carries a .38 revolver — concealed — in his car. “I have a firearm on me now, not because I’m afraid of gangs,” he said, “but because I’m afraid of my fellow gun owners.”
And it sounds like it maybe didn't do a great job on the former Marine either.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 06-08-2014 at 07:40..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:56   #3
J.ThaddeusToad
On The X

not good
Old 06-08-2014, 07:58   #4
Deaf Smith

Well, there are loons on both sides of the debate.

The left have 'em and now you see even the right have some.

Now there is a time and place for the OC debate. One tries to change laws by logical debate with cool heads. Waving guns in public does not help.

Deaf
Old 06-08-2014, 11:15   #5
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
She might not have become a stronger supporter of gun rights now.

And it sounds like it maybe didn't do a great job on the former Marine either.
Yep, and yep...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 18:25   #6
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

Couple of points:

1. I find it interesting that so many Open Carry zealots provoke and film encounters with the police, hoping that the officers will react in an unprofessional manner. Yet when a civilian member of the public films them in a public place, they respond with abuse and threats of violence.

2. It seems that the OCT member who posted the older lady's information after she called Plano PD may have committed a crime. C.J. Grisham ultimately defends and excuses his member's behavior:

Quote:
Grisham said the Open Carry member should not have made the woman’s name and number public. “He did it for the right reasons,” Grisham said. “It was just bad execution.”

He also said he condemns any threats or abusive language. “We reject it in the strongest terms,” Grisham said, but does not feel his campaign has caused it. “I don’t feel any responsibility for it.”
A real leader most certainly feel a measure of responsibility for actions taken by his members in the organization's name. Will OCT help with the investigation of and prosecution of any of it's members who commit violations of law? I'm not going to hold my breath.

3. Speaking of Grisham, I somehow had missed that his court problems were fully resolved. I was under the impression that appeals were being pursued.

Quote:
He ultimately was convicted of interfering with a peace officer and fined $2,000. “I pay it a hundred dollars at a time,” he said. “I pay it in nickels.”