Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-19-2015, 23:48   #1
Kranq

Hiking and Hunting Sidearm (G19) OWB Holster Suggestions Please

I'm looking or an OWB holster for my G19. When out hiking/hunting, I frequently wear a pack with a waist strap and/or camel back, so the weapon must hang lower than usual to be accessible without hanging up on gear. It must have a top snap to keep my 19 from falling out of the holster while climbing. In southern Arizona, if hiking or hunting, carry a sidearm, always...

My normal assortment of holsters are not cutting it, most sit too high. Any/all suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.
Kranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:44   #2
Decutor

I think what you're looking for is a duty style holster. Lots of those come with drop and offset mounts standard and feature several levels of retention.

Blackhawk and Safariland make the best ones I know of.

Have you maybe considered drop-leg holsters as well? Or perhaps even a chest rig?

Lots of different options here.

Last edited by Decutor; 01-20-2015 at 02:44..
Decutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:18   #3
4Rules

Look at the The Wilderness Safepacker and the Eberlestock Nosegunner.

4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 14:49   #4
randrew379

I've used a Bianchi UMII for over twenty years(for a G21). I use the holster alone attached to my pack's hip-belt- this may not work with all packs. I carry the Bianchi belt in my pack and use it when I'm not hiking with pack.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
randrew379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 15:41   #5
rallenal

I have used the Bianchi as well. It works. Another solution is to take one of you regular holsters, put it on your pants belt and put the hip belt under the holster. Then the holster is familiar and in a familiar place.
rallenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 18:00   #6
Kranq

Some good options for me to look into! I pulled my old ruck out of the shed and found 2 Bianchi holsters with the various flaps, thumb breaks, drop and shoulder kits buried in with my old desert uniforms. I'll give one of them a shot before I go buy a new duty type holster.

Thank you, I appreciate the input.

Last edited by Kranq; 01-20-2015 at 21:01..
Old 01-20-2015, 22:19   #7
toshbar
Timber Baron

Serpa. I have hiked all over the place with mine, and my Osprey pack waist straps fit right between my belt and the gun, using the paddle attachment.
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:50   #8
Rick O'Shay

I use a leather "pancake" holster, with a snap strap on it. Used it for years with no problems.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 16:45   #9
AntlerGeekAdam

I had good luck with my Blackhawk holster when I was in the Utah mountains. My packs hip belt didn't bother it or me.
Old 01-21-2015, 21:11   #10
bcowen22001

Send a message via Yahoo to bcowen22001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay View Post
I use a leather "pancake" holster, with a snap strap on it. Used it for years with no problems.
2nd that.
bcowen22001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 22:49   #11
seamaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranq View Post
I'm looking or an OWB holster for my G19. When out hiking/hunting, I frequently wear a pack with a waist strap and/or camel back, so the weapon must hang lower than usual to be accessible without hanging up on gear. It must have a top snap to keep my 19 from falling out of the holster while climbing. In southern Arizona, if hiking or hunting, carry a sidearm, always...

My normal assortment of holsters are not cutting it, most sit too high. Any/all suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.
Check this out,
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...le-Backpacking
seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 23:28   #12
pAZ Ron

Krang, I have a holster to suggest that will do what you are asking except it is without a top snap. Retention is adjustable with the usual hex key adjustment on a Kydex holster.

The holster is from Comp-Tac and is called the "International". Comes in many configurations but you will want it in the "drop offset" configuration mounted off your regular belt, not the hip belt of your pack.

I use it with a daypack or backpack. It is not interfered with by pack waist belt or even a jacket. I really like this one a lot and it works very well when I am in the field.

I've got a variety of pictures with and without a pack on and with and without a jacket that shows this well. If you pm me your email address I will send you the photos.

Last edited by pAZ Ron; 01-21-2015 at 23:34..
pAZ Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 22:40   #13
Kranq

Thank you for the advise all! Greatly appreciated!
Old 01-25-2015, 14:19   #14
plp

I used an Uncle Mike's holster for years in the woods, with a few modifications. I made a cover flap out of visquene and velcro to completely cover the firearm, both securing it and keeping it from getting wet or dirty. I carried it either on my toolbelt or backpack belt appendix carry, as in the course of my job I was kneeling and bending constantly. It stayed out of the way but easily accessible. I carried a Heritage Roughrider with snakeshot, and it got a lot of use in the Mobile Delta.

It was replaced with a Galco fanny pack when I began carrying my Bodyguard instead of the revolver, even better option as it is narrower and accessible one handed.
plp is online now   Reply With Quote