Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-17-2012, 21:44   #251
Myke_Hart
Handloader

I added a "-" connector to my new G22 gen3 purchased Jan this year.

The stock gun and connector was reading between 6lbs and 7lbs on my Lyman trigger pull gauge. Unacceptable.

With the Glock "-" connector the Lyman gauge is reading 5lbs 1oz reliably with a 4oz drift. This feels much better now the trigger is consistent and has definitely improved my grouping.

The main reason for purchase of this gun was for GSSF matches, but I would not hesitate to carry it.

Got Guns? Does she know about it?
Myke_Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 14:43   #252
russelldehart
El Tamalon

I've tried just about every trigger configuration available in a Glock including many of the aftermarket ones and I always come back to the stock 5-6 pound trigger with the 25-cent trigger job. It's true that there are crisper, smoother, (whatever your after) configurations out there but for an all around trigger I like it the best.
russelldehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 15:20   #253
tslex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
I think Glocks should be carried 100% stock. Even a thing like a connector swap has its down sides. There's the one in a million chance that some prosecutor might hit you with an accidental death suit (saying you ACCIDENTALLY fired when you fired INTENTIONALLY to save your life). . . .
First, if you do no touch the trigger, the gun will not fire, even with a magical 3.5 lb connector.

Second, prosecutors do not sue anyone for anything.

Last edited by tslex; 09-21-2012 at 15:22..
tslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 15:23   #254
RM686

If the safety tang is cut flush to the trigger face how does the gun fire. Do you mean some how it is pinned like the grip safty on a 1911?

Refering to a previous post where person said they shaved the safty tang down to the trigger face. Should have included the post.

Last edited by RM686; 09-21-2012 at 15:28.. Reason: to make better reason for the post
RM686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 15:47   #255
Deaf Smith

I use the 3.5 and NY-1 setup in ALL my glocks except the 10mm. Might later install one in it to. Used that setup for years in IDPA to.

Mucho better for CCW, especially when I carry my sub-compact Glocks in the appendix postion with a Fist IWB holster.

Never ever had an issue with it.

Deaf
Old 09-22-2012, 10:57   #256
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

I have a Gen 4 Glock 19. I shoot at the range as often as money permits. It's also my EDC, because I have first hand experience with being robbed while I was on crutches.

I have my gun set up the way I want it and shoot it best. I use a 3.5 connector because it works better for me. Imaginary scenarios of over zealous prosecutors wont help protect me. Having a fine weapon that I shoot well goes a long way towards assuring I die of natural causes.

That said, having worked in the New Mexico prison system, I could get better healthcare in jail than I can on Medicare. Not to mention a gated community with 24 hour armed security, satelite TV, a full gym, library, 3 meals per day, all free.

And all the conjecture about accidental discharge is moot, because the same imaginary over zealous prosecutor could ask why you didn't install a "Siderlock" trigger as I have.

Last edited by Paul53; 09-22-2012 at 10:59..
Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 19:40   #257
unit1069

I toyed with the idea of installing a NY-1 trigger but decided to stick to my stock Glock set-up.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" makes sense to me, especially with regard to legal ramifications should I ever need to use my Glock to defend myself against a real or potentially deadly attack.
Old 09-22-2012, 20:26   #258
DakotaGlockGuy
Polymer Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I toyed with the idea of installing a NY-1 trigger but decided to stick to my stock Glock set-up.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" makes sense to me, especially with regard to legal ramifications should I ever need to use my Glock to defend myself against a real or potentially deadly attack.

NY1 with a 3.5 connector is approved (even for Law Enforcement) to carry, so there would be no legal ramifications.

I think it just boils down to what works best for you. In my case, it's the 3.5 connector all the way!

www.facebook.com/tacticaltextureandtriggers
DakotaGlockGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:36   #259
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Shooter View Post
NY1 with a 3.5 connector is approved (even for Law Enforcement) to carry, so there would be no legal ramifications.

I think it just boils down to what works best for you. In my case, it's the 3.5 connector all the way!
Wow! Didn't even think of the legality of it, but just yesterday installed the 3.5 connector with NY1 spring in my G23. Does the law vary by state on this? I CCW here in Ohio.
"I have obviously failed to galvanize and prod, if not shame enough Americans to be ever vigilant not to let a Chicago communist-raised, communist-educated, communist-nurtured subhuman mongrel like the acorn community organizer gangster Barack Hussein Obama to weasel his way into the top office of authority in the United States of America."

– Ted Nugent
jeanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:55   #260
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M24C View Post
3.5 connector without a NY-1 in a defense gun is begging for a lawsuit. All my Glocks have NY-1's in them.
A modified trigger is a modified trigger. Obviously, if somebody shot when they didn't mean to, the 3.5 connector without the NY1 is going to be a liability issue. However, the same could come from the heavier/altered trigger pull with the NY1 - for example, if you miss the person you are shooting at and hit a bystander, as in the recent shooting at the empire state building.

I'm not sure you guys really get how this works. If you do something that is clearly legal, like a clear self-defense shooting, nobody is going to test or even ask about your trigger. If you do something that is questionable or wrong, like a negligent discharge that hits somebody or missing and hitting a bystander, you are going to have to deal with attorneys - prosecutor/plaintiff's attorney/both. When that happens, especially if it's a civil case and you have money, property or insurance, you can bet the gun will be examined by a paid expert and a big deal will be made about your modified trigger, regardless of whether it is heavy or light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Show me a lawsuit based on a 3.5 connector. Don't use the "test case" line.

Nobody who knows anything about law is saying you will be prosecuted or sued just ebcause of the trigger - in the real world, you get sued or prosecuted, then the other side uses the trigger as an additional piece of evidence to convince a jury to decide against you.

In short - both the "light trigger doesn't matter" and the "heavy trigger is safer" guys are equally wrong.

Last edited by Bren; 09-24-2012 at 06:09..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:08   #261
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Never saw the need for the 3.5.

I bought a Gen4 G19 and a G26 a while back and was convinced I just needed a little trigger time to become acustomed to the slightly heavier trigger pull.

Long story short I have the 3.5 in both of the Gen4's and have left my Gen2 guns stock.

Regards,
Happyguy
Old 09-23-2012, 20:22   #262
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I'm not sure you guys really get how this works. If you do something that is clearly legal, like a clear self-defense shooting, nobody is going to test or even ask about your trigger. If you do something that is questionable or wrong, like a negligent discharge that hits somebody or missing and hitting a bystander, you are going to have to deal with attorneys - prosecutor/plaintiff's attorney/both. When that happens, especially if it's a cil case and you have money, property or insurance, you can bet the gun will be examined by a paid expert and a big deal will be made about your modified trigger, regardless of whether it is heavy or light.
Best paragraph so far regarding this issue.

This topic comes up frequently and especially on this website. Your best course of action is to consult with an attorney in your state who is experienced in defending cases where the victim used deadly force. An attorney who is supportive of citizens defending themselves and preferably pro-gun as well.
Old 09-24-2012, 22:07   #263
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmohr75 View Post
Do you consider this a safe configuration for carry? On my g20, I like that the 5 lb connector reduces much of the creep before the break, but my groups are tighter with the 3.5lb.
It's safe from the standpoint that the gun isn't going to discharge by itself.

My personal opinion is that a 3.5 pound trigger is too light for a defensive handgun. Any Glock I've ever carried has had the factory trigger unaltered and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The 3.5 pound trigger sure is nice at the range though and is exactly where it belongs.

YMMV.
Old 09-24-2012, 22:09   #264
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

The 3.5 pound connector combined with the NY-1 spring is good to go for a carry piece.
Old 09-24-2012, 22:37   #265
jbglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S.Brown View Post
I prefer the 4.5lb connector with the NY-1 spring in ALL of my Glocks for a couple of reasons.

1.) Back on Christmas Eve 2002 while shooting my original G23 and G27, both using the 3.5lb connector, (Glock now calls the latter a 4.5lb connector), I had unintentional double taps with both guns. In each I had just finished shooting a shot at the target, and less than a quarter second later sent another shot down range. Some of the best shooting I've ever done, both times the unintended follow up shot simply made the first hole a little bigger. The only problem was I didn't intend for this to happen.

With my present trigger set up I feel that I have more control of the trigger, I am still as accurate, (even more so with 147 grain 9mm), and I'm capable of more effectively controlling said "intentional" follow up shots now a days.

2.) Glock doesn't recommend or endorse the 3.5lb/4.5lb connector on guns for self defense. Since I'm not a firearms engineer, (or any engineer for that matter), I'll trust the people working for Glock have a strong reason for this policy that goes beyond covering their butts legally. Just my 2 cents.

Best,

Dave
People have been using the factory - (formerly called the 3.5lb connector) with a NY1 trigger spring for decades. Personally I feel it is a safe setup that is close to factory weight (last time I measure one I set up like this it was only a half pound heavier) yet gives a more positive reset. It also eliminates a part that can break (factory trigger spring) with a part that I have never seen break or even heard of breaking (NY1). Glock also endorses this setup now as an approved combination (when using the factory components.)
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:09   #266
SFla27

Diclaimer: The following is applicable to my situation and is not meant to change anyone's opinion.

A few weeks after putting in a Ghost 3.5 Rocket connector (with stock trigger spring) in my relatively-new G27, the wife and I enrolled in a series of comprehensive professional instruction courses.

On the first range session of the class, I had an unintentional double-tap. The second round went downrange and hit the target, but above the first round. The instructor saw this and knew immediately I didn't mean to fire the second round.

He just gave me a long look and asked if the pistol was stock. That's all that was needed.

There was nothing wrong with the Ghost connector. It performed just fine and as advertised.

Now my G27 has the NY-1 & Glock minus connector. My G17 has the stock connector.

Practice. Practice. Practice.

Read, get instruction.

Practice some more.

Last edited by SFla27; 09-25-2012 at 11:13..
SFla27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:08   #267
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFla27 View Post
Diclaimer: The following is applicable to my situation and is not meant to change anyone's opinion.

A few weeks after putting in a Ghost 3.5 Rocket connector (with stock trigger spring) in my relatively-new G27, the wife and I enrolled in a series of comprehensive professional instruction courses.

On the first range session of the class, I had an unintentional double-tap. The second round went downrange and hit the target, but above the first round. The instructor saw this and knew immediately I didn't mean to fire the second round.

He just gave me a long look and asked if the pistol was stock. That's all that was needed.

There was nothing wrong with the Ghost connector. It performed just fine and as advertised.

Now my G27 has the NY-1 & Glock minus connector. My G17 has the stock connector.

Practice. Practice. Practice.

Read, get instruction.

Practice some more.
I'm guessing what happened was this.

You "worked the reset". This means you released the trigger just enough to reset the bar on the connector then inadvertently applied too much pressure to the trigger, resulting in the pistol firing a round.

This does take training to get past it. If it continues to present a problem, reinstall the OEM connector.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:53   #268
SFla27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
I'm guessing what happened was this.

You "worked the reset". This means you released the trigger just enough to reset the bar on the connector then inadvertently applied too much pressure to the trigger, resulting in the pistol firing a round.

This does take training to get past it. If it continues to present a problem, reinstall the OEM connector.
Yup. That's exactly what happened.

I changed to the NY-1 & minus connector as it has a stronger reset and the trigger pull after the take-up is smooth and within a reasonable pull weight.

SFla27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 18:07   #269
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernboyva View Post
i just did this to three of my glocks, all gen3's; two g23's and a g19. I did all three last week. I've been putting this off for years but finally decide, what the hey. I couldn't find my wife's dremel so i bought one. I knew what to do and i have done complete strips of my glocks a number of times... Especially the frame.

This is a simple job which takes about 1/2 an hour and is well worth your effort. Take your time, examine the parts that need to be polished (i've taken the liberty to list them below), and go for it.
  • trigger safety block, top and crowned part of the side.
  • striker lug sear contact point and part that rides on the sear.
  • outside of the trigger bar (part that contacts the frame).
  • trigger bar safety block cam (the top part).
  • end of the trigger bar that contacts the connector.
  • entire cruciform.
  • connector surface that contacts the trigger bar end and the lip at the top that cams the trigger bar down.
thank you!
Old 09-26-2012, 18:09   #270
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
YouTube - Glock 25 Cent Trigger Job

Sent from my 300 baud modem
Thank you!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:06   #271
realitycheck390

3.5 lb connector for ccw?

I am curious of you all's opinion on the 3.5lb connector and ny1 spring on your ccw weapon. Is this too light for ccw carry? Any proven negligent discharges due to this setup?
Thank you all for your help.
A realitycheck is a time in your life where you do a check of your heart. A time you check where your relationship with God is and where it’s going. Then you make a decision as to where your going from here.

Everyman dies, Few men truly live!

Last edited by realitycheck390; 11-07-2012 at 10:16..
realitycheck390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:11   #272
rjinaz85308
Desert Dweller

It's heavier than a factory setup
rjinaz85308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:13   #273
fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:37   #274
SCmasterblaster

I do, but not with a ny spring.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:55   #275
dosei

Nothing wrong with the 3.5 mated to a NY-1 for a carry/defensive sidearm.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote