Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-04-2011, 21:06   #41
CrackerKen

Even if it has a 1 pound trigger pull, it won't fire unless the trigger is pulled. Mine are all stock, so I don't have that concern. I prefer to carry a loaded gun that will go bang when I pull the trigger, so I carry chambered. I went an entire career in law enforcement carrying revolvers of various types. They all had a full load in them, and there was no safety on them. The wouldn't go bang unless you pulled the trigger. Same for our Glocks.
FL Glockers #442
CrackerKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 22:44   #42
John Biltz

A hair trigger is dangerous because it goes off unintentionally under stress. Under stress fine motor skills disapear. Fine for a range but there are reasons you never see a real light trigger on weapons made for combat.
Old 06-04-2011, 23:06   #43
HAMMERHEAD

With all those mod's, I would be more worried about it not firing when I wanted it to.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:05   #44
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post
With all those mod's, I would be more worried about it not firing when I wanted it to.
^ this
mvician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:23   #45
bel970

AD is a ND, and if everything was installed properly I would be more worried about it not going bang when you needed it to (as previously mentioned), mainly because of the the 4lb striker spring, see plenty of those cause ignition issues.
bel970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:28   #46
ronin.45

Load it up. No safety concern here.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:35   #47
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Safer than a 1911 with the hammer cocked, manual safety off, and grip safety duct taped, that's for sure.
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:42   #48
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
Yep. Weapon will only fire when the trigger is pulled.

There are no ADs, as said before. No such thing- plain and simple

Not to be a jerk, but if you felt the need to lighten your trigger and perform those mods, what was your ultimate goal? Pull trigger, gun goes bang. I have never understood the notion that a weapon can "go off".....
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:43   #49
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
Old 06-05-2011, 07:53   #50
CynicX

Rack the slide, empty of corse. And start dropping it on things that are soft enough to prevent damage (towels, carpet, etc) see if it fires. If it doesn't fire you'll be fine as long as you trust your abilities. I prefer a standard trigger with practice, vs a light trigger with practice for a carry gun.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:09   #51
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post

This ^ again
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:51   #52
RatherNotSay
Dirty Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerKen View Post
Even if it has a 1 pound trigger pull, it won't fire unless the trigger is pulled. Mine are all stock, so I don't have that concern. I prefer to carry a loaded gun that will go bang when I pull the trigger, so I carry chambered. I went an entire career in law enforcement carrying revolvers of various types. They all had a full load in them, and there was no safety on them. The wouldn't go bang unless you pulled the trigger. Same for our Glocks.
You can't really compare revolvers to glocks though since revolvers are TRUE DAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biltz View Post
A hair trigger is dangerous because it goes off unintentionally under stress. Under stress fine motor skills disapear. Fine for a range but there are reasons you never see a real light trigger on weapons made for combat.
It's a light trigger but I wouldn't say it's "hairy"...with the lone wolf UTS maybe but that isn't installed unless at the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel970 View Post
AD is a ND, and if everything was installed properly I would be more worried about it not going bang when you needed it to (as previously mentioned), mainly because of the the 4lb striker spring, see plenty of those cause ignition issues.
Thousands of rounds of various ammunition including reloaded with 3 different primers I've never had any issues. Maybe those "issues" were caused by you or whoever you know that experienced them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSF17 View Post
Yep. Weapon will only fire when the trigger is pulled.

There are no ADs, as said before. No such thing- plain and simple

Not to be a jerk, but if you felt the need to lighten your trigger and perform those mods, what was your ultimate goal? Pull trigger, gun goes bang. I have never understood the notion that a weapon can "go off".....
The "ultimate" goal was a crisper pull...not to put a controlled pair in someone. I'll let the ammo and my accuracy take care of that.

I believe you are misinterpreting my question, as are many of the responses, when you speak of the notion "weapon can go off." Personally I don't agree with the "safe action system" even though it is a time tested setup. I think John Biltz said it best about fine motor skills degrading. Because my firearm was some what modded more for the range than anything else perhaps it's best not to take the risk and get a revolver or shotgun for home defense. Because I have family in the house it is self evident that their safety is paramount. I might get flamed for it but glocks are not "perfect" and neither are the rules of owning a gun. They are guidelines not interpretations set in the stone of physics.

My assumptions are merely based off of simple mathematical probability and I am not degrading glocks. It seems to be an educated opinion that it CAN happen and HAS happened even by experienced handlers. As I'm sure many of you know experience breeds complacency. It is my honest opinion that glocks have not defined the rules of physics and "perfected" safety. But I forgot glocks are Gods gift to man kind. I never understood this backwoods thinking of probability doesn't exist.

Last edited by RatherNotSay; 06-05-2011 at 12:52..
RatherNotSay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 13:05   #53
Aquagear

I put the same package in my model 34, I had failures to fire with the 4 lb spring on ammo with hard primers. I changed back to the stock Glock striker spring no more FTF's. Tricked out is OK for a range, Or competition gun, I would not have one set up that way to defend my family.

P.S. Changing back to the heavier striker spring did not change the trigger that much. I had shot the gun for a while before changing back, and the linkage had worn in nicely.
Aquagear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 13:24   #54
HAMMERHEAD

Carry Issues
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 13:43   #55
ambluemax

This gets talked about a lot and is a classic example of the masses focusing more on their gear than on their techniques (because gear is cool and technique takes, well...effort). We are talking about a pound or 2 of trigger pull here people, negligable in the big picture of a fight. The real issue is finger on/off the trigger. Your finger shouldn't be on the trigger if you don't intend to fire, so if your finger is on the trigger- you have a target, shoot! If you haven't decided to engage the threat, you finger shouldn't be on the trigger and if you finger isn't on the trigger then there should be no problem with it getting pulled no matter what the weight is.

I have no problem carrying a light triggered gun. If a trigger job is safe enough to own, its safe enough to carry IMO...but I have a disaplined finger. Not saying I rig up all my carry guns with competition triggers, but if a system is functioning properly, I have no problem carrying it no matter what the poundage.
Old 06-05-2011, 14:21   #56
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherNotSay View Post

The "ultimate" goal was a crisper pull...not to put a controlled pair in someone. I'll let the ammo and my accuracy take care of that.

I believe you are misinterpreting my question, as are many of the responses, when you speak of the notion "weapon can go off." Personally I don't agree with the "safe action system" even though it is a time tested setup. I think John Biltz said it best about fine motor skills degrading. Because my firearm was some what modded more for the range than anything else perhaps it's best not to take the risk and get a revolver or shotgun for home defense. It is my honest opinion that glocks have not defined the rules of physics and "perfected" safety. But I forgot glocks are Gods gift to man kind. I never understood this backwoods thinking of probability doesn't exist.
You asked if it was safe to leave a round chambered. The answer is yes. That being said, you created a thread seeking a "solution" to a "problem" you created. That's the real issue here.

I did not misunderstand you at any point, either.

I am not a Glock Kool-aid drinker. If you don't have faith in the safe action system of your modified Glock pistol, then as you said, get a revolver or a shottie. I don't have 100% confidence in the brakes on my truck under all conditions, either. But by the same token, they are something upon which I regularly rely.

A weapon is a piece of machinery. It will lay there until you do something with it. Its functionality, or lack thereof, is contolled by who or what is manipulating it. Period. That's all I was saying.

In light of your response, I am going to revert back to the "if you have to ask, then you probably should not."
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 19:45   #57
VegasPier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherNotSay View Post
I've done a couple of modifications to my Glock 21 since I bought it. It has a 3.5lbs trigger connector, 4lbs firing pin spring, lighter firing pin safety spring, heavier trigger pull spring and I polished the entire trigger system. So my question is is it safe to leave a round chambered? I'm aware of the 4 cardinal rules and follow them religiously and I'm well aware of how the "safe action system" works. However, would the firing pin safety spring, firing pin safety polish job and lighter firing pin spring become a concern for an AD? Not a ND...but a AD. I also have a lone wolf ultimate trigger stop however it is not installed as it is recommended for competition/plinking only.

Hi RatherNotSay,

My thinking is that the plaintiffs attorney will have a field day with the defendant (you) in wrongful death or injury case.
Ask yourself how all those mods will sound in court.

Cheers, VegasPier
VegasPier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 19:56   #58
JBarbaresi

read this link
JBarbaresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:51   #59
boomhower

To me that gun is way to modded to be a carry gun. I agree that an attorney will eat you alive if you ever use it. Should it matter, no. Will it, depends on the jury. If your gun needs that amount of work for you to be able to shoot it well enough for an SD gun, you need to look into a different gun.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:08   #60
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarbaresi View Post

Thank you. I think I have found a new example to use in class of how to misuse research data and statistics to prove a predetermined position.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote