Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-08-2011, 17:57   #141
Bowtie
NRA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by statistic6 View Post
I have a 3.5 lb trigger bar in my 3rd Gen 26. Its not my primary carry gun but I do carry it occasionally without any problems.
You do mean connector right? There is no 3.5 lb trigger bar.

If You Always Do What You've Always Done,
You'll Always Get What You've Always Got.
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 21:17   #142
DEPUTY346
Deputy Sheriff

I am an NY LEO and use the "-" connector on all my off duty weapons.
Old 07-08-2011, 21:20   #143
zigzagg321
clever quip

I use a ghost rocket on my carry G26 and it by no means creates a "hair" trigger.. I feel it is safe because my finger is not going into the trigger guard unless Im going to shoot.
zigzagg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 22:10   #144
DEADEYEGUY

I've put the 3.5 lb. connector on every Glock I've owned. That night sights and a steel guide rod make the gun about perfect for me.
DEADEYEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:35   #145
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
What do you guys think of this line of reasoning?

I found articles discussing Glock's trigger pull. I thought the one below (describing the Glock striker fired trigger requiring the trigger pull to do 75% of the cocking action) was a pretty defensible reason why the gun would not have a "hair trigger." Technically it is not double action, but the trigger is actually involved in cocking every shot.

The Glock trigger always requires the user to do a little work and I felt that anything that I can do to make it smoother is beneficial.

On typical single action triggers, you can just continually creep the trigger in and then the sear releases. But on the Glock, it seems like you need to do work during a major portion of the trigger pull.

My 2 cents

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/guts...fired-pistols/
Glocks are DAO (Double Action Only) designs. The trigger performs two distinct tasks in firing the pistol. It moves the striker to its full cock position and it releases the striker to fire a cartridge. On one thread, after some rather aggressive debate about their design, I called Glock and spoke to a tech (actually he was more than just a tech from what I gathered). He confirmed that their design was a DAO design.

A for the issue of carrying a Glock with a different connector from that which was shipped with the gun, one might be advised to check case laws in their state and if they are really worried about this issue or live in a state where it could possibly present a legal concern from a shoot, you would probably be best served by contacting an attorney who has knowledge in these matters.

In my state, it's not going to make a difference in an excusable homicide. If you meant to fire on the BG, whether or not your gun had an altered trigger is not an issue. The issue is going to be whether or not you were in fear of imminent serious bodily harm.... or worse. We have an affirmative defense in such matters so a prosecutor is not going to be able to show that your actions in shooting the BG were anything other than purposeful and deliberate.

In my primary carry 3G G23, I have a smooth faced trigger with the safety tang cut flush to the trigger's face, a Glock 3.5 connector (part #00135), and a 6-pound trigger spring. The connector and trigger spring result in a very nice trigger which breaks at around 4.5 pounds. For my purposes, I find this to be the best setup.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 07-09-2011 at 05:43..
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:10   #146
MinervaDoe

Quote:
I called Glock and spoke to a tech (actually he was more than just a tech from what I gathered).
So, since we are not really sure if you talked to Fred Flintstone or Albert Einstein, or if he worked in sales or engineering.

From my link:

Quote:
When the shooter pulls the trigger to fire, these safeties are disengaged and the mechanism, usually an extension of the trigger bar, makes contact with and pulls the striker back under spring tension, again, either fully or partially. This continues to increase as the striker is pulled to the rear. At the end of the pull, this trigger bar’s extension pulls or drops off the part of the striker it was up against, and releases it, allowing it to travel forward under the power of the spring and make contact with the primer of the chambered round which hopefully goes “bang”.
Once the weapon fires, the slide moved rearward under recoil, ejecting the spent round and chambering a new one. In this same process, the striker system resets to its semi-captured state in the Glock and fully captured state in some other pistols. The shooter releases pressure on the trigger which then moves forward enough to reset and make contact again with the striker so the process starts again.
Many, including myself from time to time, will compare this system to a double action only (DAO) system. However, in all honesty, even though this system is similar in how the shooter feels the trigger action to a DAO pistol that uses a hammer, there are some profound differences in the operation of the gun internally that do have some important implications to shooters. Trigger pull is generally going to be much lighter than the double action pull of a revolver, and also much lighter than semi-autos with either a double action only setup or a double action/single action setup.
Yeah, Glock calls this DAO.... but, ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 07-09-2011 at 10:12..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 14:30   #147
atxbandit

My 23 is a LE trade in and came with 3.5 connector. I figure if it is good for the Missouri highway patrol it is good for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
atxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 16:34   #148
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxbandit View Post
My 23 is a LE trade in and came with 3.5 connector. I figure if it is good for the Missouri highway patrol it is good for me.
Old 07-09-2011, 20:14   #149
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxbandit View Post
My Glock 34 is (among other things) marketed as a tactical gun. It comes with a "-" connector. Why not put it in my other guns?

Old 07-09-2011, 22:21   #150
adamg01

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy03cls View Post
I had no idea who this was until a year ago. I have no bias. After reading some things IMHO he knows a lot, & maybe too much that he has closed his mind on some areas. Stuff doesn't work for everyone & should not be taken as gospel.
Try it on your own & find what works for you.
Very well said!
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 22:23   #151
TexasPOff
"Dump The Hump"

All mine have them...TXPO
Certified M&P LE Armorer

"DUMP THE HUMP"
TexasPOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:18   #152
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
So, since we are not really sure if you talked to Fred Flintstone or Albert Einstein, or if he worked in sales or engineering.

From my link:

Yeah, Glock calls this DAO.... but, ....
Well let's look at this closer. Albert Einstein is dead so I don't imagine it was him. Fred Flintstone is a cartoon so that sorta rules him out of the equation. And the fellow with whom I spoke was quite knowledgeable and intimate with the operation of his product, so..... I'm going with a rather well-informed Glock employee whom as I vaguely recall introduced himself as a management type.

The problem with people's concept action types is the fact that in the past twenty+ years, hybrids have entered the picture and somewhat muddied the once well defined waters. DAO designs range from the Kel-Tec P11, which many folks believe to be the classic description of a DAO pistol, to the Kahr and Glock, which are striker fired with no second fire capability. This is a good reason to ignore hammers and strikers, which is really what is done with action descriptions, and think of what task(s) the trigger performs in the firing of the gun.

Another good example of confusion is the rather new use of the SA/DA action designation when referring to pistols such as the Beretta 92FS series or revolvers such as the Rugger GP100. In reality, there is no such thing as evidenced by historical action designs for these pistols/revolvers. By virtue of the fact that they are double action automatically implies they are also capable of single action operation. If you had purchased a 92FS Beretta 25 years ago, you would have noted it was described as a DA pistol. I'm not sure why the notation of SA/DA came about in recent years, but I suspect it might have something to do with the entrance into the gun world of a lot of gun-ignorant people (ignorant in this context means lack of knowledge).

In any case, it can get confusing. Look at the Smith and Wesson M&P pistol. It's a SAO.. which would be a SA in historical parlance. But it is a hybrid of a type. Still, the trigger only does one thing and that is to release the striker to fire a cartridge. The gun is held in full cock up to that point, unlike the Glock where the trigger completes the cocking of the striker prior to its release.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:47   #153
Unkind

I carry my G19 every day with a 3.5
Unkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 19:32   #154
alabaster
Swollen Member

My 19c has one and new springs(Except the striker spring), and the 26 has a 3.5 & that's it. I carry 'em both regularly, often both at once when doing deliveries. I agree with the "Finger off trigger" idea, myself.
Old 07-14-2011, 20:13   #155
sciolist

I do like the "-" connector without a compensating spring, but prefer OE for carry.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:55   #156
jarubla
Dos Pistolas

stock rocks. +1 for stock

-Jay
Old 07-15-2011, 08:05   #157
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
The problem with people's concept action types is the fact that in the past twenty+ years, hybrids have entered the picture and somewhat muddied the once well defined waters. DAO designs range from the Kel-Tec P11, which many folks believe to be the classic description of a DAO pistol, to the Kahr and Glock, which are striker fired with no second fire capability. This is a good reason to ignore hammers and strikers, which is really what is done with action descriptions, and think of what task(s) the trigger performs in the firing of the gun.

Another good example of confusion is the rather new use of the SA/DA action designation when referring to pistols such as the Beretta 92FS series or revolvers such as the Rugger GP100. In reality, there is no such thing as evidenced by historical action designs for these pistols/revolvers. By virtue of the fact that they are double action automatically implies they are also capable of single action operation. If you had purchased a 92FS Beretta 25 years ago, you would have noted it was described as a DA pistol. I'm not sure why the notation of SA/DA came about in recent years, but I suspect it might have something to do with the entrance into the gun world of a lot of gun-ignorant people (ignorant in this context means lack of knowledge).

In any case, it can get confusing. Look at the Smith and Wesson M&P pistol. It's a SAO.. which would be a SA in historical parlance. But it is a hybrid of a type. Still, the trigger only does one thing and that is to release the striker to fire a cartridge. The gun is held in full cock up to that point, unlike the Glock where the trigger completes the cocking of the striker prior to its release.
Thanks. I had to ask exactly because there is so much confusion on this. Now, I think we are on the same page with the striker fired thing, and since Glock describes it as DAO, it makes sense for me to use that term too. Now, my point is that since it is DAO, and some work is required to fire it, the term "hair trigger" does not seem to apply to Glock. The problem is that if you were being tried by a jury, could you make twelve people who could potentially be dumber than dirt understand this.

I mean seriously, when I was looking at a double action J frame at my local gunstore, the guy there told me it was striker fired, "Like your Glock."
But, with just a few seconds of Google searching, it can be shown to have an internal hammer.
Carry Issues
Obviously, misinformation abounds on this.

Old 07-15-2011, 13:47   #158
Michigun
Miss Michigan?

Send a message via AIM to Michigun Send a message via Yahoo to Michigun

Most of your 1911's have 4~5lb pulls which have a VERY short travel... ALL of my (carry or otherwise) GLOCKs get 3.5 connectors, which takes them to maybe 4lbs of pull if not 5lbs+ with long pulls... so why not?
Old 07-16-2011, 18:29   #159
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Thanks. I had to ask exactly because there is so much confusion on this. Now, I think we are on the same page with the striker fired thing, and since Glock describes it as DAO, it makes sense for me to use that term too. Now, my point is that since it is DAO, and some work is required to fire it, the term "hair trigger" does not seem to apply to Glock. The problem is that if you were being tried by a jury, could you make twelve people who could potentially be dumber than dirt understand this.

I mean seriously, when I was looking at a double action J frame at my local gunstore, the guy there told me it was striker fired, "Like your Glock."
But, with just a few seconds of Google searching, it can be shown to have an internal hammer.
Carry Issues
Obviously, misinformation abounds on this.
I should clarify something I wrote to which your post above responds. The Smith and Wesson M&P is classed by Smith and Wesson as a DAO action design. I don't see how this can be because the trigger only releases the striker which is held in full cock until release. But they do refer to it as a DAO design.

You're right. "Hair triggers" (which is a misnomer) and Glocks don't share the same page together. You can make a Glock have a very light trigger, but in the classic sense of a "hair trigger" designation, not quite. I would not want to take any of my Glocks under four measured pounds on their triggers. My primary 3G G23 has a 4 1/2 pound trigger and for my purposes, that really works well. The mods gave me what I was looking for and this gun is reliable and predictable.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:09   #160
RussP

An attempt was made to hijack this Carry Issues thread and turn it into a personal attack on a GT member, Mas Ayoob. It was started as a personal attack, not a discussion of his opinions. That's trolling, folks.

Sadly responding to that attack, other GT members were caught up in the trolling. That's not good.

This kind of behavior has no place in civil discussions about carry issues.

Now, if a member posts and makes a point you disagree with, address the point and justify your position. If a member is on record as having a position on the topic of the thread, state that position, address the point and justify your own position.

But if all you want to do is demean, insult and attack that person, no matter who that person is, instead of attacking the person's positions and opinion, you need to find another forum. If you want to be the playground bully, GT, and especially Carry Issues, is not for you.

If you want to discuss Mas Ayoob's well known position on carrying with a lighter trigger weight, discuss it. That is the topic of this thread. If you just don't like him and you want to recruit other members to your club, do it somewhere else. That's not this thread's topic.

Last edited by RussP; 07-17-2011 at 07:10..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote