Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-06-2011, 22:16   #1
Glocklvr

Air Gun Practice drills

On another forum a thread was opened asking members if they warmed up prior to a match. My suggestion was to warm up performing air gunning drills such as tactical reloads, reloads with retention, various malfunction drills(they do happen) etc. This would allow for some warm up in a completely safe manor.
Not an original idea passed along to me at a defensive firearms class. One of the members took exception with this saying it was ridiculous and do I go bang bang while doing this. Am I that far off base? Would this be ridiculous? Do you see any value in this practice. Obviously I respect your opinion, your thoughts please. Thanks Mike
Glocklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 20:24   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Nothing ridiculous about it. Here's my take:

Since you mention tactical reloads, I presume you're talking about IDPA competition. IDPA rules forbid "airgunning" (empty-hand walk-through) on the stage, so that's out of the picture from the starting gate.

I'd suggest doing your dry-fire practice drills before arriving at the match, at home or at the hotel before you head to the range. Once you get there (try to arrive early) go to a Safe Area and practice draw to the shot from concealment, dry into the Safe Area's backstop. DON'T practice reloads there, since even with empty magazines it will look as if you're violating the rule against ammo in the safe zone, and it will cause more problems than it solves.

Once you're at the stage, spend your time watching other shooters go through it, and mentally visualizing yourself performing your intended game plan. It does for your head what dry fire does for your trigger finger.

Good luck. Try it for a while, and feel free to c'mon back here and let us know how it works for ya.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 20:48   #3
Glocklvr

Air Gun for Safety

Thank You Mas, You are absolutely correct on the IDPA part. The discussion came up about practicing reloads in the safe area prior to the match with your weapon and empty mags. I suggested using the air gun method away from stages prior to the match as a safe way to get warmed up. I stay in my RV prior to our local matches and do exactly what you suggest. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't way off base with the suggestion. Your articles and books are what generated an interest to become involved in IDPA and I am so happy that I decided to give it a try. My own skill level has increased dramaticaly since starting and I have been able to get several of my friends involved and they love it too. Thanks Again Mike D.
Glocklvr is offline   Reply With Quote