Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-07-2011, 14:44   #1
glock_ME

Glad I was carrying...Even if it was for all the wrong reasons.

My wife and I have a place we bike and run through the woods quite often. There is hardly ever anyone there and it is in a very rural and unpopulated part of northern Maine.

I tend to carry my Ruger Alaskan chambered in .454 Casull in a chest holster under a partially unzipped fleece when I bike or hike through the woods. Call me crazy but I'd never want to meet a bear or moose with their young or in a bad mood without some sort of plan B. If you live in bear/moose country most likely you understand.

So i set off on my bike in one direction on this 4 mile loop and my wife takes off jogging the other direction. I soon meet up with her and figure I have enough time to complete 2 loops and some singletrack before she finishes one loop and we meet back at the truck.

About 1200' feet from my truck on my second loop I meet up with her on the trail. She is headed toward me and visibly upset.

She had made it back to the truck and was about to open it when a man approached her and asked for a ride. Now keep in mind we are not even remotely within walking distance of anything - it's miles to the nearest house. She politely declines and immediately but nonchalantly starts putting some safe distance and the truck between her and the guy. He continues asking for a ride, asking where she lives, asking if she's alone, if she's cold, how old she is. She wisely dismisses herself in polite northern Maine fashion and quickly heads in the direction she knows I'll be approaching from.

Upon hearing all this I of course am on tilt because her intuition is usually spot on but in the back of my mind I'm really thinking this guy is just mentally challenged or socially awkward.

We exit the woods and he's standing there by my truck. A million scenarios are running through my mind as to how to handle this situation and I just approach him cautiously paying careful attention to his demeanor and his hands. I know my draw from my chest holster is a bit awkward and isn't as quick as my waistband holster draw.

It really wouldn't have taken much hostility on his part at that moment to convince me to draw and shoot. Taking the entire situation into account - our remoteness, his previous interaction with my wife, the amount of time it would take the state police to respond (no local police up there), my slow draw - I figure I have very little room for error if his intentions are bad and I need to be very proactive.

Let me take a moment to frame for you what this guy is seeing. He sees a guy and his wife - whom he had just spoken with and she had taken off like a whitetail deer when he tried to talk to her - approaching him. I am by no means a small guy and I probably had a very inquisitive if not grumpy look on my face.

The guy opens his mouth to speak and - I can only assume - he notices the hunk of Ruger on my chest. Even having a somewhat large chest that thing still looks huge on me and the six rounds of .454 casull in the ammo band don't help matters.

Now it's his turn to politely dismiss himself from the situation and head god-only-knows-where in very quick fashion. I never even got more than a "hi, how's it going?" out of my mouth and he was halfway down the road.

I never will know what his intentions were, maybe he did just need a ride. I guess he didn't need one that badly after all.

CCW Lic - ME, NH, CT
glock_ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 15:00   #2
silvrevo

Time for wifey to start carrying somthing!!! Mace, stun gun,, get her own gun.

And I for one would have Had that Gun exposed walking up to him,,, you knew he was no good. He wasnt in a postion to report you.

I was looking for one important thing in your story,,, and Im happy to have seen it.

YOU WERE WATCHING HIS HANDS !!!!!! I do that alot dealing with the general public at my place of work.
silvrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 15:28   #3
toshbar
Timber Baron

I'm glad you didn't fire, both eardrums would have been sonically dissolved.
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 15:49   #4
AA#5

"So i set off on my bike in one direction on this 4 mile loop and my wife takes off jogging the other direction."

Not how I would have done it with a significant other - especially in a secluded area.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 15:56   #5
glock_ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo View Post
Time for wifey to start carrying somthing!!! Mace, stun gun,, get her own gun.

And I for one would have Had that Gun exposed walking up to him,,, you knew he was no good. He wasnt in a postion to report you.

I was looking for one important thing in your story,,, and Im happy to have seen it.

YOU WERE WATCHING HIS HANDS !!!!!! I do that alot dealing with the general public at my place of work.

My wife wants all the perks of carrying without all the pesky hard work associated with it. She knows when she is ready to devote the time and training she can have whatever carry gun she wants.

As for the gun being exposed...I wondered afterword if that holster would be considered just an open-carry situation (which is 100% legal and smiled upon here) or if it borders on brandishing. It's pretty blatant and ridiculous looking but it is holstered.

CCW Lic - ME, NH, CT
Old 07-07-2011, 15:58   #6
glock_ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshbar View Post
I'm glad you didn't fire, both eardrums would have been sonically dissolved.

Agreed. I've only shot .454 casull a handful of times due to the expense/thrashing and I have worn muffs over plugs and still had it be loud.

It ain't right, but it sure is fun!

CCW Lic - ME, NH, CT
Old 07-07-2011, 16:38   #7
A6Gator

Better to have it and not need it...
Old 07-07-2011, 16:45   #8
AggieGlock

Yikes. Glad the story ended the way it did.
AggieGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 16:55   #9
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Great read..glad it turned out well for All...
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 18:05   #10
Patchman
Florist

Damn, from your headline, I thought it was going to a tantalizing story, maybe about how you made friends with some hot woman because she noticed the gat in your pocket.

** wink, wink ***

Glad you and wife are OK. Good lesson and hope it was learned.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 18:23   #11
dcc12

I think I might have drawn gun and hid it under jacket over arm if I thought the draw would be awkard.
dcc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 18:38   #12
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

Thanks for sharing.

If your gut tells you something is wrong, chances are there is in fact something wrong. People who are legitimate typically do not flee. By your presence alone, you may very well have foiled an insidious plot.

At least yourself and everyone you care about is safe.
Old 07-07-2011, 18:43   #13
GlockinNJ

Good story telling. Could have gone very bad. Definitely a reminder that one never knows when and where SHTF might happen and to be vigilant.
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 18:49   #14
alfred10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_ME View Post
My wife and I have a place we bike and run through the woods quite often. There is hardly ever anyone there and it is in a very rural and unpopulated part of northern Maine.

I tend to carry my Ruger Alaskan chambered in .454 Casull in a chest holster under a partially unzipped fleece when I bike or hike through the woods. Call me crazy but I'd never want to meet a bear or moose with their young or in a bad mood without some sort of plan B. If you live in bear/moose country most likely you understand.

So i set off on my bike in one direction on this 4 mile loop and my wife takes off jogging the other direction. I soon meet up with her and figure I have enough time to complete 2 loops and some singletrack before she finishes one loop and we meet back at the truck.

About 1200' feet from my truck on my second loop I meet up with her on the trail. She is headed toward me and visibly upset.

She had made it back to the truck and was about to open it when a man approached her and asked for a ride. Now keep in mind we are not even remotely within walking distance of anything - it's miles to the nearest house. She politely declines and immediately but nonchalantly starts putting some safe distance and the truck between her and the guy. He continues asking for a ride, asking where she lives, asking if she's alone, if she's cold, how old she is. She wisely dismisses herself in polite northern Maine fashion and quickly heads in the direction she knows I'll be approaching from.

Upon hearing all this I of course am on tilt because her intuition is usually spot on but in the back of my mind I'm really thinking this guy is just mentally challenged or socially awkward.

We exit the woods and he's standing there by my truck. A million scenarios are running through my mind as to how to handle this situation and I just approach him cautiously paying careful attention to his demeanor and his hands. I know my draw from my chest holster is a bit awkward and isn't as quick as my waistband holster draw.

It really wouldn't have taken much hostility on his part at that moment to convince me to draw and shoot. Taking the entire situation into account - our remoteness, his previous interaction with my wife, the amount of time it would take the state police to respond (no local police up there), my slow draw - I figure I have very little room for error if his intentions are bad and I need to be very proactive.

Let me take a moment to frame for you what this guy is seeing. He sees a guy and his wife - whom he had just spoken with and she had taken off like a whitetail deer when he tried to talk to her - approaching him. I am by no means a small guy and I probably had a very inquisitive if not grumpy look on my face.

The guy opens his mouth to speak and - I can only assume - he notices the hunk of Ruger on my chest. Even having a somewhat large chest that thing still looks huge on me and the six rounds of .454 casull in the ammo band don't help matters.

Now it's his turn to politely dismiss himself from the situation and head god-only-knows-where in very quick fashion. I never even got more than a "hi, how's it going?" out of my mouth and he was halfway down the road.

I never will know what his intentions were, maybe he did just need a ride. I guess he didn't need one that badly after all.
Get the wife a Glock 19. I would carry somethinmg in addition to the 454 for two legged critters.
alfred10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 18:53   #15
wrenrj1

Just another story where having a CCW weapon prevented something from happening. Unfortunately statistics are not tracked regarding these incidents. Glad it worked for you.
Old 07-07-2011, 18:57   #16
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Glad to hear things turned out in your best interest.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 19:12   #17
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc12 View Post
I think I might have drawn gun and hid it under jacket over arm if I thought the draw would be awkard.
Actually, with a short-barreled gun, it can be held in the shooting hand, tucked under the opposite arm, with the other arm folder over too, like a casual arms folded posture. Done that for years process serving.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 19:20   #18
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_ME View Post
Agreed. I've only shot .454 casull a handful of times due to the expense/thrashing and I have worn muffs over plugs and still had it be loud
You're counting on a defensive firearm you've only shot "a handful of times"??? Esp. one you seem to have some reservations about regarding controllability and loudness?

More range time!

Last edited by cowboy1964; 07-07-2011 at 19:22..
cowboy1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 19:39   #19
NMG26

Glad you where carrying!

Interesting scene, I would have liked to have been able to read his mind in those few seconds.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 19:48   #20
bmylesk

my only concern now is hoping this creep doesn't find someone else. some innocent lady.
i hope you turned in his description to the authorities.
bmylesk is offline   Reply With Quote