SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-10-2011, 16:49   #1
mac66
Plant the seed

Ammo cans for gas?

I ran across a guy selling ammo cans for some good prices. While looking at some of the larger 81 and 120mm cans it occurred to me that they were big enough to hold 3 or 4 gallons of gas and as tough as jerry cans. So now I am thinking of picking up a couple and maybe rigging some sort of a spout on them and use them for gas.

What says the hive?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 17:12   #2
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
poor idea.

Metal will cause contamination of your fuel, rubber gaskets in them will get destroyed.

There's a reason everyone in the world got away from metal gas cans. It wasn't because they were good.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 19:17   #3
bdcochran

You will also learn that ammo cans do have contaminants in them. Frankly, I don't know if they can be 100% removed.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 19:36   #4
Dexters

This sounds like a Darwin Award project.
Old 07-10-2011, 19:43   #5
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
the paint will peal and the gasket will melt from the gas eating at it
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 22:39   #6
quake

Couldn't pay me to do it; anymore than I'd 'rig up' a threaded fitting and use them for propane...

No offense meant, but imo that's a very bad idea.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:00   #7
crimsonaudio
15 or 30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
This sounds like a Darwin Award project.
This.

Or the makings of a news headline.

Last edited by crimsonaudio; 07-11-2011 at 06:01..
crimsonaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:57   #8
mac66
Plant the seed

Thank you to the "just don't do it" crowd for you enlightened responses.

With all due respect, I am not putting drinking water in them, what contaminants that might be in an ammo can are unlikely to hurt an engine.

Second, the gaskets in ammo cans are chemical resistant and made from the same stuff that they make gas can gaskets from. Yeah, I checked.

Third, metal gas cans are still used all over the world. I have a couple jerry cans that I use and never had a problem with the metal contaminating the fuel.

Fourth, explain the Darwin Award comment? Explain why putting gas in a sealed metal container is any different from putting it in any other sealed metal gas can?

So other than that and despite all the speculation and WAGs, does anyone have any valid reason why you couldn't use a sealed metal ammo can to carry gas?

Last edited by mac66; 07-11-2011 at 09:03..
Old 07-11-2011, 09:01   #9
DoctaGlockta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post

With all due respect, I am not putting drinking water in them, what contaminants that might be in an ammo can are unlikely to hurt an engine. Just to be safe however I might just wash it out first.

Second, the gaskets in ammo cans are chemical resistant and made from the same stuff that they make gas can gaskets from. Yeah, I checked.

Third, metal gas cans are still used all over the world. I have a couple jerry cans that I use and never had a problem with the metal contaminating the fuel.

So other than that and despite all the speculation and WAGs, does anyone have any valid reason why you couldn't use a sealed metal can to carry gas?
If you think it is a good idea go for it. Sounds like you have convinced yourself. I must say that I have thought about storing many things in ammo cans but storing a flammable, highly volatile liquid has not been one of them.

Good luck.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:08   #10
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
If you think it is a good idea go for it. Sounds like you have convinced yourself. I must say that I have thought about storing many things in ammo cans but storing a flammable, highly volatile liquid has not been one of them.

Good luck.
No I am not convinced yet. I am waiting to hear a valid reason why not. To be honest we all store flammable highly volatile liquids in metal containers all the time. Gasoline, paint thinner etc, etc. My point is that these things are heavy duty steel containers with sealed lids. If I welded the lid closed, and put a spout on them, how are they different from any other metal gas can?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:18   #11
Dexters

Quote:

Fourth, explain the Darwin Award comment? Explain why putting gas in a sealed metal container is any different from putting it in any other sealed metal gas can?
No way! We would then miss your post wondering why your house burned down. Or asking why your car's gas filter needs replacing when you use gas from your ammo cans.

Last edited by Dexters; 07-11-2011 at 09:20..
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:27   #12
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
If I welded the lid closed, and put a spout on them, how are they different from any other metal gas can?
My only suggestion is to do this before you fill it with gasoline.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:35   #13
quake

Quote:
...So other than that and despite all the speculation and WAGs, does anyone have any valid reason why you couldn't use a sealed metal ammo can to carry gas?
Just due to the 'unknowns' involved and the return on investment. Is an ammo can's interior paint impervious to gasoline, or will the gas dissolve the paint and turn to jello inside; unknowns like that. And the return on investment, combined with those unknowns, just doesn't seem worthwhile, when actual 5-gallon steel gas cans are available for $35-$50 or so, with no unknowns or tinkering necessary. No need to weld anything up, no need to find, purchase, and somehow attach nozzles, etc; genuine, ready-made metal gas cans, complete and ready for use.

Bear in mind also that those big 81mm & 120mm cans are going to hold substantially more than 3-4 gallons; more like ten or so. So now there's also the weight issue of trying to actually use a home-made gas can, weighing 75-80 pounds, to fill up whatever it is that needs filling up.

I'm sure it could be done as long as someone was willing to address the unknowns and weight issues; I just don't see why it would be worth the effort unless a person just had a huge supply of those ammo cans sitting around and nothing else to do with them. (For that matter, even in that case I'd suggest selling those cans and then using the money to buy real gas cans.. )

If you want to do it, it's a free country; just for me personally it wouldn't be worth the worries and hassles involved, not when the genuine article is readily available.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:24   #14
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

I am pretty sure your idea is illegal. Could have swore you could not store gas in anything not rated for gas.
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:23   #15
swordsmn

Use the ammo cans for EMP shielding of radio's & hotpockets.
And remember, It IS tactically cool to goto Walmart & buy a plastic gas can...
Blue ones for water too!
swordsmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:54   #16
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsmn View Post
Use the ammo cans for EMP shielding of radio's & hotpockets.
And remember, It IS tactically cool to goto Walmart & buy a plastic gas can...
Blue ones for water too!
Best reason yet not to. Just go to Walmart.

I will concede that it is better to just use regular gas cans but there is nothing magical about them. The metal ones are just metal cans, the plastic ones are just molded plastic. Nothing mysterious about that.

I am done with this. Time to move on.

Last edited by mac66; 07-11-2011 at 12:57..
Old 07-11-2011, 12:56   #17
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
I ran across a guy selling ammo cans for some good prices. While looking at some of the larger 81 and 120mm cans it occurred to me that they were big enough to hold 3 or 4 gallons of gas and as tough as jerry cans. So now I am thinking of picking up a couple and maybe rigging some sort of a spout on them and use them for gas.

What says the hive?
I say put the crack pipe down, before posting on GT S&P
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 13:09   #18
DoctaGlockta

Quote:

What says the hive?

Video removed due to guilt

OP I'm really sorry but I just couldn't help myself.

- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by DoctaGlockta; 07-11-2011 at 13:37..
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 13:29   #19
swordsmn

Hey I even store my Ed's red in plastic gas cans.. (No acetone used in my Ed's)

Lot's of guys use their 50cal can's as Ed's Red dunk tanks not me.

I think Red plastic IS magical vrs a 1945 ammo can for gasoline storage. You sound like a nice guy. Be careful out there...
swordsmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 13:35   #20
RichJ

Quote:

With all due respect, I am not putting drinking water in them, what contaminants that might be in an ammo can are unlikely to hurt an engine.

So other than that and despite all the speculation and WAGs, does anyone have any valid reason why you couldn't use a sealed metal ammo can to carry gas?
Quote:
No I am not convinced yet. I am waiting to hear a valid reason why not. To be honest we all store flammable highly volatile liquids in metal containers all the time. Gasoline, paint thinner etc, etc. My point is that these things are heavy duty steel containers with sealed lids. If I welded the lid closed, and put a spout on them, how are they different from any other metal gas can?
You make some valid points. I too see no real difference between one sturdy metal and another sturdy metal container. I can see where the paint on the inside of a ammo can would degrade and gum up the gas but other than that, the seal probably isn't going to degrade. I checked the old metal gas can i have and it is not painted on the inside. You might consider stripping the inside first.

I would test one out by filling it 1/4 full and putting it somewhere in the shade in the backyard or somewhere else safe (not in the garage). Come back a week later and check it. Check the seal. Check the paint. Note the condition of the can to see if there are any bulges from pressure ect. Then turn it on its side and leave it for a few days. Come back and look for leaks and check the seal again to see if it's gummy. Go from there to make an informed decision on how to procede.

The only bad thing I can think of would be that the seal might be too tight and not allow the can to vent. A full can might build up pressure and go kaboom with a spark. Be very carefull and give us a report after the 1/4 can test.
RichJ is offline   Reply With Quote